NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 32>
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2012 at 8:12pm
Hoping to flip the boat today, just waiting to hear back from my buddy. Just have to get the bow light off and the helm. Going to prop it up about knee height for sanding and spraying. At the same time I'm going to add some bracing to the dash, it wasnt assmebled right and didnt cure properly to the boat so it ratchets back and forth. Figured ill crawl underneath with my mask and repair it then
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2012 at 9:12pm
Just found this in the for sale forum, kind of what I'm going for, but mine will be a brighter red and follow through the deck, no center stripes. I'm also starting to wonder if mine is a '65.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=5615&sort=&pagenum=1
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 12:57am
Finished gutting her. Wish I had made this regell decision from the beginning, I'm having to undo a lot of assembly work for prep.

Her new home for a couple weeks. Going to start sanding tomorrow. Finally get to put my big 12amp Milwaukee sander to work! I have to get her done to bare so I will start with the big sander and move down to palm.

Question, since I did my repairs in epoxy (like filling in the old drain hole) how should I prep those areas so the new gel sticks?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 1:49am

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 1:57am
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 4:06pm
Get in touch with your resin/gel suppler but, for epoxy you will need to used a polyvinyl. It sticks to the epoxy and the polyester gel will stick to it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 12:12pm
Hussler obviously it's your boat, but I think it would be totally unwise to go with anything but a white/cream colored top.

As for side color, i think there's many choices that can look good, but i'd pick from this wheel.

Anything else will just look weird.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2012 at 12:20am
No idea what "IDK's" means for your location but if you're working on a redd & black color scheme you must be a UGA fan.....

If you're picking off Pete's wheel, pick the Chrylser...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 12:12am
The bottom was repaired with 8oz. (IIRC) and West. Faired with West and 407 and 410 fillers. Primed with Interlux white Interprotect and faired in between 3 coats. Sanded 220 in between coats. Bottom painted with Interlux VC performance epoxy, 4 coats, Still needs to be burnished. Sanded with 220 grit in between coats. Sides painted with Interlux Perfection Snow white 3 coats still needs burnishing. Sanded 400 in between coats. Red topside with be Perfection Rochelle red. Motor will be Ford red. Bottom will be burnished with 400, 800, 1000 and 2000, sanded very well in test spots. Sides will be done in 1000 and 2000. Currently waiting on last coat of Snow to dry.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 12:48am
Hussler has a chair named after his location.

I would have went with the Inca Gold.

Whatever happened with the possible Martinique?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 2:00am
I'm excited to see the results.
1970 Mustang
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 2:52pm
After last coat of perfection, blew away my expectations. I will still wet sand to get out all the inperfections but jeeze, definitely worth the time and effort.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 2:57pm
Hussler, so are you going to paint it after this?
1970 Mustang
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 3:00pm
Wow, thanks for sticking with this project. She hs come a long way. I can't wait to see the end result.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

That is the paint, so what more were you expecting exactly?

It will be getting the red on the topside if thats what your asking, and a boot stripe to blend the transistion from epoxy bottom to perfection top.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Im confused too- thought you had decided to re gel?

Wish I had made this regell decision from the beginning, I'm having to undo a lot of assembly work for prep.

how should I prep those areas so the new gel sticks?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 4:03pm

It will be getting the red on the topside if thats what your asking, and a boot stripe to blend the transistion from epoxy bottom to perfection top.

I thought you had decided on a red/black hull.

I love the color you have now, that's why i was confused!

Looks awesome!
1970 Mustang
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 4:54pm
Nope, white and red.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 4:59pm
Bottom painted with Interlux VC performance epoxy, can you tint this to the color that you want? or is it in another layer that you tint?

I'm asking for when i do this, obviously you went with White!

Thanks!
1970 Mustang
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 7:25pm

Thanks!

And you have me confused.You planning on painting the '70?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 8:01pm
I think it's come a long way in what less than a month?! That color wheel chart is cool. Mine must have been Tangerine.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 9:51pm

Bottom painted with Interlux VC performance epoxy, can you tint this to the color that you want? or is it in another layer that you tint?

Thanks!

I will let you know when I get home, I have enough interlux info to make your eyes bleed. I have a feeling the answer is yes but it will take many more coats to get deep colors

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 1:37am
Peter, the VC cannot be tinted, a real shame. Sanded with 2000grit it is almost impossible to tell from normal fiberglass, it has a low depth gloss. If you have any questions about the interlux products you can PM me or post here. The guys at interlux are EXTREMELY helpful and wont upsell you, they certainly talked me out of some more expensive products.

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I think it's come a long way in what less than a month?! That color wheel chart is cool. Mine must have been Tangerine.

Now that I'm not going to school 4 days a week and the marina the other 3 (marina closed yesterday) This project will finally be moving along, this has been extraordinarily slow. Just got back from class, will probably be sanding until 2ish tonight. Looks like its not going to get warm enough again so I will probably flip the boat tomorrow and drive up north and get the motor in by saturday night.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Thanks!

And you have me confused.You planning on painting the '70?

Yeah i was totally uneducated on this, read sanity's thread and now i feel like i know some stuff.

I thought Hussler was regelling his boat, obviously not, but it still looks great!

I'll regel mine someday Gary, maybe we can do ours at the same time haha, 2 for 1 special?

I'm just trying to learn about all this.

Hussler thanks for the info, great work glad it's coming along!
1970 Mustang
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2012 at 4:00am

I'll regel mine someday Gary, maybe we can do ours at the same time haha, 2 for 1 special?

I'll tell you Peter,I'm in no hurry! I actually had fun doing the little I did and learned stuff also. I would certainly do things differently next time,like getting gel with the wax seperate so I could add it when needed. Quite surprised on how much I went through too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2012 at 4:27am
So I pretty much have all the sanding done. Started with 400, then 800 1000 and 2000. I must have 10ish hours in sanding these past two days. I need to do a few touch ups with the 2000. Buddy brought me out for some SoCo and Perdomos which really slowed my pace lol. I'll finally get to start permanently attaching hardware tomorrow!!! I cant believe I am approaching the assembly stage. Hard to tell in the pics but the finish turned out great.

Also spent an hour or so sanding grinding and polishing the plug and crupper to the way I like. Note how the plug is perfectly flush with the bung now. I love polishing.

Heres how the rear lifting point will be attached. Stock it was lagged in steel that all rotted out. I'm adding a tow point in case we are able to get this thing to make a big enough wake for wake surfing. Kills two birds with one stone. That bronze anchor point is out of a 50's resorter. Will probably lag the othe two bolt holes. It is just by chance that the two have the same diameter bolt holes and spacing.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2012 at 11:27am
Great work, thanks for sharing pix.

Is the piano rebuild next?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2012 at 2:35am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Great work, thanks for sharing pix.

Is the piano rebuild next?

Your welcome, I was thinking the piano would make a nice bonfire myself!

Got the boat off the trailer and flipped. A wonderful thing. Decided to use this week to tune up the trailer some more.

Added some 2x3 and plasma'd out the light fixures, made a little skid plate out of 3/16" Didnt go too crazy with it looking nice just want to protect my drivetrain.

Also made the brackets to attach the fenders and made the new bunks.

Will work on the metal a little bit this week to make it presentable, paint it with rusto put in some lights and call her done.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2012 at 2:51am
With the bunks ending so much ahead of the frame where you mounted the light brackets, seems like even with guide poles your bow could hit the metal when launching or retrieving on a shallow ramp. Why not run the bunks back to within an inch or two of where the stern sits?

I like the way you make metal fabrication look easy!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2012 at 3:11am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

With the bunks ending so much ahead of the frame where you mounted the light brackets, seems like even with guide poles your bow could hit the metal when launching or retrieving on a shallow ramp. Why not run the bunks back to within an inch or two of where the stern sits?

I like the way you make metal fabrication look easy!

I actually wondered why they were so far forward myself but its so the bunks are on the "riding surface(?)" because it has that little "drop" to the hull towards the back. For the life of me I cant remember what you call it. Anyways the boat isnt flat on the bottom towards the rear    

And thanks! I hadnt touched the welder for a couple mouths because of my silly boat, its nice to be back in the saddle. I feel like i've been having an affair with the Mustang when my true love lies with the Jeep LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 32>
  Share Topic