NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 24>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 9:50pm
Bitter/Sweet...wish I hadn't found this and glad I did. It's hard to see in the pic; unfortunately the worst spot is in front of the log(hull fixture-shaft through hull part, is log right?). Lots more glass to come out and I was only trying to prep for the pylon mount?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 10:00pm
Greg, what are we looking at above? delamination? Hard to see.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 10:20pm
Sorry, it's not delamination thankfully...maybe 1 more time I caught it in time? Anyway, the circled areas are wet spots in what I thought was close to good. They showed up when I came back from a break. There were some small pockets left between the hull layup and the stringer being sealed in. Most have wet foam in them.
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:40pm
[QUOTE=BuffaloBFN]

I have been thinking about this being closed-cell foam(Pete, I'm using 2lb pour in for cost reasons) rather than what was in there, QUOTE]

What was in there was in fact closed cell foam! How well did that work out? Even closed cell foam has 3-5% open cells. Don't expect the new foam to be any different, if its in there seal it up.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 10:57am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

What was in there was in fact closed cell foam!

This is exactly why I put things up for discussion. I thought I had seen here that the older foam was a different type. Thanks Joe.
1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Bitter/Sweet...wish I hadn't found this and glad I did. It's hard to see in the pic; unfortunately the worst spot is in front of the log(hull fixture-shaft through hull part, is log right?). Lots more glass to come out and I was only trying to prep for the pylon mount?!!?

I don't know Greg. Looks to me like you now just need to scrap the whole project. I could probably find a nice home for the pumpkin if you would like!
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

I could probably find a nice home for the pumpkin if you would like!

You're a pal to make such a generous offer, but I'd hate to put my troubles off on you.

Now if you want me to pumpkinize your's down the road...
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 1:16pm

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

What was in there was in fact closed cell foam!

This is exactly why I put things up for discussion. I thought I had seen here that the older foam was a different type. Thanks Joe.

Older foam was open cell, your boat however isn't older in that regard. The 60's and early 70's foam would have been wet all the way through not just on the outside like yours was.....
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 5:04pm
Greg, I'm going to have to take a step backwards here and say that you need to go back and think inside the box. I have said that the drains are overkill but also agree that both Joe and Chris have brought up some very good points. Why open up a area for potential water problems when you are taking all the steps to seal it off?

Even though the foam is self skinning on it's surface when foamed inside a enclosed area effectively creating a moisture barrier the idea isn't worth it. The cut surface from over foaming is the bigger problem.

The small pockets of water you found look like a good example of the hygroscopic nature of polyester.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 9:00pm
More surprises...I think Wally put that block of wood in?!!?

Here's the source of the wet spots, and one that I missed. It's a pocket in the glass that foam made its way into.

Not a single one of these packages says "self applying".

I'll get back to thinking inside the box...right now I'm deciding on whether or not to cut the log out, and if I do, how will I make sure it goes back straighter than that block of wood.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 10:35pm
Greg, The log can just be eye balled. You have the rubber hose between it and the shaft packing gland. If you want, run a piece of 1 1/4" dowel between the strut and the log.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 10:57pm
Why would you want to cut the log out?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2008 at 12:34am
Greg, Do you mean the shaft log or the rudder port? Do you think the boat was damaged at one time and the ply was half fast repair to the rudder port?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2008 at 12:53am

I thought Walter C died in the early 70's plus I don't think he did much work on his boats in the later years. I don't think Walter O did much out in the shop ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 11:08am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I thought Walter C died in the early 70's plus I don't think he did much work on his boats in the later years. I don't think Walter O did much out in the shop ether.

Pete, is this the Meloons? I meant wally from 'wallys at the ramp'. The pic got nuked anyway, oh well.

We're off to recharge our batteries at dark:30 in the morning. JBear, thanks for getting that call in to the weatherman...low 80's, Oh Yea!

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 11:42pm
I made a little more progress today. There was at least 1 repair here and I'm guessing 2. Fun stuff, but I'm getting there...

1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 3:03am
Weather is really turning here fast too Greg. Glad I could help. I am trying to send water next.

I am fascinated watching your project. While I could never attempt something like this...I sure do enjoy when you guys do! Am I reading this right...somebody hit something and fixed it with wood?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 9:18am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Am I reading this right...somebody hit something and fixed it with wood?

John, I think the block of wood in the back is factory, but yes it's been hit. The patches are between the log and rudder port. I did some work on it from the bottom a couple of years ago, but I was scared to do much on the inside. Funny how it has progressed 'cause I'm not a bit scared of it now?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 8:34pm
I got a little more done, but I had to get my saturday shower early since it's Amy's birthday.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 12:20am
Tomorrow is a great day already...I get to start putting it back together! I'm so tired of making a mess and just tearing stuff up?!!? LOL   This pic won't look a lot diff than the last 2, but everything is cleaned up. My plan is to lay in the middle 2/3's of the middle(between the stringers) including the log and pylon mount. The mains are still in because I have a bunch of measurements based on the pylon's position. With a bit of luck I'll be cutting out the port stringer by the w/e!

1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 1:19am
You don't look scared a bit to me....I'm scared just lookin' at the pictures!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 4:39pm
My how things can change...huh John?

How much does humidity affect epoxy? Is it just that moisture will slow the curing, or will it also affect the integrity of the layup?
1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 5:40pm
If you are doing multi layups , the AMINE BLUSH will become an issue. But a quick clean up with warm soapy water will the only requirement,then do the next layup.
If done while it is still "GREEN" the bond is not affected.
I used a lot of the West System building the Wharrem, and having their tech line really sped up my learnig curve.
I still use poyester but the epoxy has its uses too...........Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 5:49pm
Thanks Doc! The amine blush will be brought out by the humidity, or it will just happen anyway. Green is 24 hours or less?

Soap and water is cool...thought I had to sand if I went past 24 hrs.

I have a tech line, but they're closed today. I've also read everything I can find, but I'm asking here because not everything I've read has the same thing to say.

It'll be nice here tomorrow, so I'll probably wait...and I sure can't fuss about getting rain here!   
1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 2:15am
Greg: You been getting that rain? Saw that the Braves got rained out yesterday and saw a little of the game today where the ground crew was working on the mound.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 9:35am
Ya Mon! Our little pile of water is about 6' higher lately!
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:26am
Greg, did you recieve the boat nudes in the mail yet? the site wouldnt let me write the word that ryhmes with torn
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:29am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Lance, Polyvinyl I feel sits right between epoxy and polyester in both water moisture and strength. Most costs in a project like this are man hours so for a little extra material cost of the epoxy I would go for it. One caution thought. Gel will not stick to epoxy but vinyl will so many times the epoxy is skipped or the added step of a coat of vinyl is needed. This may be your sailboat re builder reason for going with the vinyl.

How in the wide world of sports did I miss this?!!? So I either need to use a bilge kote type of paint on my epoxy repairs, or I need to do an additional vinyl layer to accept the gel?

Pete, have I told you recently that I'm glad you're here?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:37am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Greg, did you recieve the boat nudes in the mail yet? the site wouldnt let me write the word that ryhmes with torn

LOL Yes I did and thanks. I was just making a cd for you...
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:41am
i screwed up and sent you the one of my wife and I lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 24>
  Share Topic