NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 24>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:47am
Then we'll both have flashburn?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:35pm
if your wife see's them she'll know you been lying to her all these years lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 9:54am
A Buffalo's first epoxy...

I had to deviate from original here.

I sure hope the lake stays level as it fills back up?!!? LOL

1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:03pm
Greg, Did you mix too much or not enough epoxy? I remember my first jobs. It seemed to be hard to judge the correct amount at first.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:11pm
Looks great. Your modification from original will get you a deduction in points But I think it is worth it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:20pm
I did ok Pete, the pumps make all the difference! I got some 4/$1 plastic cups at the dollar store and they are just about right as well. Bear in mind that I was doing small pieces here...there's about a 7/8" build-up under the pylon mount. When I get to bigger pieces on the same time limit, things may be different. What I screwed up was the height of the bilge pump pad; it's too high. I'll either sand it down or cut it out and fit it better.

The funniest part happened as I was leaning on the rail after I was done. It occured to me that it might be a good idea to put the bolt through the mount and pylon while it cured. Sure enough, it needed to be twisted a bit and that would've been tough the next day! Of course I had it straight in line with the keel to start with?!!?   LOL

FWIW-I'm super glad I left both stringers in to this point. That made relocating the mount almost fool proof.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Big Pappa Big Pappa wrote:

Looks great. Your modification from original will get you a deduction in points But I think it is worth it.

LOL! Eric fired me on my engine thread, so I can live with a few less points.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 6:58pm
Does anyone remember who made the specialty fiberglass cutter? I saw something not too long ago; looked like a grinder with a custom blade?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Does anyone remember who made the specialty fiberglass cutter? I saw something not too long ago; looked like a grinder with a custom blade?

Farmer made his own after he priced out the one you can buy. Can't remember but he may chime in. You could do a search from his profile on the member list.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 7:37pm
Thanks Pete, I'll buy it...do you know what it is?
1988 BFN-sold

91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

One of these?
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Tool-Shop/Diamond-Blades
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 9:45pm
Thanks 91...you reminded me I had 1 of those! I was flustered when I asked about farmer's grinder wheel. Maybe he'll catch up with us here.

The snag I ran into was when I was trying to clean up after the port stringer was out and there was a TON of resin and my 16 grit disks were flying to pieces.

I'm sure some of you are asking what the whatever am I doing...for that you'd have to be here 'cause otherwise I plead the 5th.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:52pm
if we locked you and pete in a workshop you guys would never come out
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 7:58am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Well Eric, we couldn't come out because you locked us in!!! I don't know how the two of us would get along in the same space? I think Greg would be following me around with a bench brush and dust pan!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 8:41am

It wouldn't take us long to make a trick lock pocket door and a puzzle box to put your keys in!

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 9:16am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Well Eric, we couldn't come out because you locked us in!!!

On second thought, I'm to be married in 1 month from today...how much beer and how many blonds did we get locked in with? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 10:01am
1st marriage?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 10:04am

1st marriage?

I'm hoping the old saying is true...3rd time's a charm!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 10:20am
first 2 were for practice and dont count
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 12:16am
job looks great Greg.....good luck next month!

2nd time was a charm for me.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 9:37am
Thanks John!
1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 3:48am
Don't forget the Wedding pictures....daytime and nighttime!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:05am
Hey jbear, How far are you from Bradenton? Mrs. Foot is down there visiting family for a couple of days and coming home Sat. We both need to fly down and do the same some time (I work for the Big D)and maybe hook up with you and Mrs jbear for a cold brew or two.

............Nevermind, I just looked it up under your profile and your like next door to it. How far a drive is it. 30 mins?.......
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 11:09pm

This took some time...

The short 2x4's are gauge blocks measured from the engine cradle and leave room for glass.

1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 12:41am
Sorry for the threadjack Greg.

Tim: If you looked it up you know how close we are. We better see you guys! Whats the "Big D"?

Greg: Wow...almost 400 posts and over 6800 views...nice thread ya got goin' here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 9:36am
John,

"The Big D" = Delta Airlines.

Wouldn't cost be a dime to fly down there. Only parking fee's at the ATL airport. One of the perks working for a major airline, only thing is you fly only if there is an empty seat on board and flights are FULL these days. I've had my fare share of cancelled trips or even stranded and watching aircraft leave the gate without me on it more than once. That's when it gets really fun.
Spent a whole day of vacation once when I tried to get home from Seattle. Got there at 5:00 am to catchj a 6:00 flight. Spent the whole day there watching flight after flight leave me there. FINALLY got on the 11:30pm flight that evening. Never forget that day.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 9:38am
Thanks as always John...you're the man when it comes to support and having something nice to say!

It used to worry me a little when I'd put up pics and not get much response. Now I'm thinking cool, must not have messed this one up if noone is saying 'Hold on there' ?!!?     LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2008 at 2:02pm
What's the trick to laying up odd shaped pieces like this? Hopefully nobody ever needs to see this again, but an obvious solution is not coming to me.
Thanks guys

1988 BFN-sold

anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2008 at 2:30pm
My ideal would be to use some CA glue and an accelerator and glue then in some point to hold them in place while I work them. Also, you can glue some piece of wood and break it later. That's what I do when building an RC airplane.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2008 at 8:28pm
Greg, Getting glass nicely on something with the holes like the bulkhead is a real PITA and there isn't a trick. Cutting the glass into pie shapes at the holes and folding it back onto the opposite side is the only way. Let it tack up and do the other side making the pie cuts in a different spot.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 24>
  Share Topic