NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new 2001 and my first!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021 23>
Author
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 4:54pm
I was thinking about adding a pre-filter for my fuel system. Skidim has a 3/8" one but I found a transparent one at overtons that has replaceable filter. Anyone ever use one of these?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=21689&pdesc=SeaSense_Universal_Fuel_Filter&str=filter&merchID=1008&r=view
Chris4x4gill2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 5:12pm
I use one very similair to that on my SB 350 I just built for my truck. I run it inline between the fuel pump and the carb with a larger spin on type fuel filter between the pump and the tank.

So far I have had no issues with it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

I found a transparent one at overtons that has replaceable filter. Anyone ever use one of these?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=21689&pdesc=SeaSense_Universal_Fuel_Filter&str=filter&merchID=1008&r=view

I thought I better warn you that that clear filter (same as a Tempo brand) is for suction service on outboards. Some have placed them on the pressure side of the fuel pump going to the carb. I haven't directly heard of any problems but I wouln't take the chance.

Go with a fuel filter designed for the job.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 6:47pm
I was going to put it in between the fuel tank and the low pressure pump. There is no place to put it on the high pressure side. My setup has a low pressure pump from the tank and then it is hard piped right into the fuel cell which has the high pressure pump inside that and then hard piped to the fuel injectors.

There is a pretty good filter inside the fuel cell but I wanted to make sure I was protecting the low pressure pump and make sure I stop any debris before it gets to that pump.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2009 at 3:16pm

"Universal Inline Glass View Fuel Filter With 3/8", 5/16", & 1/4" Barb In Kit

Moeller's In-line Disposable fuel filters trap dirt and other metallic particles.
The design allows for immediate inspection of your fuel condition with clear vial.
Not for use on inboard engines!"

moellermarine.com

Notice the last statement: "not for use on inboard engines"

Don't go cheap when you're dealing with fuel components. It may come back at you. Your boat is worth more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2009 at 3:49pm
Good catch Pete! Thanks. I ordered a pre-filter from the Nautique Dealer today. Should have it by Friday.

Thanks man!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 1:56pm
Well it was a good weekend! I got the boat back form the painter and it looks GOOOOOOD.

I will try to get some pictures posted soon. Got the engine in, carpet under the bow and got the aluminum plate all cut out and all the gauges in the dash along with the newer switches. Got most of the electrical done and got the shaft, prop and dripless seal in place.

I have one question for the experts!! When the shaft is in it doesn't sit center in the log. I assume this is because the weight of the shaft. With the dripless seal there is a lot of play in it. So do I just raise the shaft to where I think it is centered in the log and then align the engine to that position?

I will get some pics up soon!

Later
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 2:28pm
Sounds like the cutlass bearing is worn.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 9:29pm
I agree with Greg - check you cutlass bushings befroe going any further..

FWIW, my new cutlass bearings had some play, about .0015 inch, which translated to about .5 inch diameter of play at the transmission.

These numbers are estimated & not exact, but you get the idea.

I mounted the strut so the play of the shaft was centered in the middle of log. (sounds kinky, but I don't know how else to explain it!)
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 11:43pm
in your case you may want to set the engine, then move the strut accordingly, you did a ton of work and went from a 1:1 to a 1.23 correct? you also have to account for the 1.23 down angle, which yes I know the 1:1 is too at an angle. find the centerline and set engine and this should get your centerline of the strut to follow with it being loose...and with a good srtrut bushing, mark the strut with a sharpy on the hull then mount with 5200, of coarse with your shaft being loose from the trans. then pull the shaft and start you initial adjustments, you should be able to calculate your moves simply by pulling the shaft onto the pilot by hand...get it close then fine tune it
"the things you own will start to own you"
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 12:41am
Ok, thanks for the advice. When I put the shaft in the strut I tried to move it and there was no play at all. It seemed like the bearing wasn't that worn but after visually inspecting it I can see the bearing from the back closer to the log looks worn on the bottom.

I think what I am going to do is get everything together and ready for the water and then bring it to my Nautique dealer and have them check the strut bearing and alignment and also have them look at my fuel and electrical system and make sure everything looks good to go. I know it will be an added expense but will give me a piece of mind knowing everything is correct. The guys at White Lake have been really helpful and really seem to know their stuff.

I got the blowers mounted above the fuel tank today. The only issue I see is that the blowers are mounted just shy of the vent. There is no place to connect a hose to the vents. Do the older model not have a hose connection on the rear vents or am I missing a part?

Here is a shot of the blowers:

Later guys!
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 4:04am
There's a "plenum" under the vents. Prob easy enough to fab one up if you can't find one.
My Blue 82SOLD!
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2009 at 7:47pm
Awesome Job this far AKA!!! I just read all 19 pages the past 2 days. I am just getting back to working on mine. I have been out of commission for over a year. Dang wife and new house!!! Anyway lets see that new paint.

Kris
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2009 at 9:22pm
AKA - How about some pix of the paint job?

You got us cliff hangin'

Ben Franklin
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2009 at 11:53pm
Joey, send a note to nautiquefanatic and FlInboards about the Plenum. They may have one for you.
If you need to make one, let me know and I can get mine out for you to make a pattern from.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
athhud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athhud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2009 at 1:08am
The factory plenum looks very similar to this, but with 2 hose inlets.
click here

Edit: This one would work, but I just measured mine and it is 15.5" x 2"
clicky
Andrew
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2009 at 1:26am
you can simply glue the hose to the vent inside, or you can glue a pvc piece to the vent and the attach the hose, whatever you prefer... or buy that thing above.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2009 at 11:33pm
Sorry for the late reply guys! I was out of town. I will get some pictures up this weekend. I plan on having it water ready by the end of Sunday so the pictures will look better with it assembled and carpeted.

I am just going to take two 90 degree elbows and glue them to the vents and run some hose. I think that will be the easiest.   If I use a plenum like the ebay one wouldn't it fill up with water and then run down the hoses and threw the blowers?
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 8:37pm
Ok, So here are a few pics. I wanted to wait to get more completed but I will share a few images. I am waiting for a part for the steering wheel.

New Dash. They gauges will eventually get replaced with White face black trim gauges but that will be next year:

New paint job, bilge hull pass through, and newly painted windshield. I also got the rub rail on which was from another boat so I had to drill 120 new holes. It also comes up about 6 inches short on the back so I need about 6 inches of rub rail to complete it:

Cables ran under bow:

Telescoping anchor light. I also have all electrical wires wrapped in cable housing:

New fuse panel:

One battery for now. Second to come:

This was a scary hole to cut in the dash but now I have a glove box and place for the radio. That is just dust on the glove box:

Dripless system installed:

Engine in and carpet down. We are laying the side carpet down tonight:

Fuel tank installed. I also had some heater vents so I made a bracket to hold the end of the hoses instead of just having them hanging behind the tank. I also uses some aluminum angle brackets so I would have side bolts for the support for the tank instead of screws going in through the top of the teak boards. The wires you see are coming from the anchor light before it was hooked up. The blowers are mounted above the tank.

The engine is rubbing a little on the inside of the dog house so I decided to raise the bottom up by about 2 inches. In the old engine mounting bracket it sat a little lower. It works out good since I added the stud to the ski pole so the pole is up about the same height.

That's all for now. I will shoot some more when I get it completed and get the tower mounted. I want to have the Nautique dealer check it out before it goes in the water but they are now telling be it might be several weeks before they can look at it. No way am I waiting that long!!

Later
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 9:59pm
Maybe you guys can help me out. I noticed that most people's fuel lines run down the port side stringer. I assume this is so the steering cable has a free run but my fuel pump connection is on the starboard side. Is this true for most and if so where does the fuel line run once it gets under the engine?

Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 10:16pm
Aka - I don't think you need the dealer - it looks like you have a good handle on this refurb project. It looks awesome. I bet you can't wait to clock it!

Ben Franklin
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 11:40pm
Aka,
My 89's fuel line runs along the port stringer to the fuel filter - also mounted to the stringer. From there it connects directly to the mechanical fuel pump on the engine block - port side on the 351W. It doesn't actually run under the engine

What about running it around the engine cradle to the starboard side.?
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 11:47pm
Looking good Aka,

have you considered painting the muffler tubes & changing out the blue carpet with some of your left over grey.?
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2009 at 12:36am
Thanks guys! I didn't think about painting the mufflers. Guess I could use some high heat automotive paint? I was going to replace the blue astro turf once we put the side carpet on and had some more scrap. I think the mufflers might be backwards. I sent an email to the dealer asking them if they are directional. The only reason I think they are backwards is because in a few of the pictures the smaller piece of carpet on the tube is towards the stern.

Chopper I think that is what I am going to do. Run them past the engine and then use some self tapping screws into the cradle and back to the engine. Kind of going around your butt to get to your elbow but I don't think there is another way (guess all that tubing means I will hold more gas in the system LOL!!).

If anyone has any extra rub rail I could use about a foot of it.

Thanks!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2009 at 1:18am
Looks awesome aka! Keep the pics coming!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2009 at 4:39pm
Just can wait to see the boat on the water...terrific job you are pulling!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2009 at 5:57pm
Looking GREAT!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 2:27am
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

Thanks guys! I didn't think about painting the mufflers. Guess I could use some high heat automotive paint?

See what the other guys on here think, but I just used normal black gloss spray paint when I repaired / repainted the muffler on my 89. My muffler doesn't get hot at all (warm at best) and it's the inverter flow type that connects directly to the back of the risers.

It's been painted that way for approx 2 years now, and it's never looked like coming off.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 6:51pm
I think the paint will resist the upper section of the manifold were the water jackets are, but the lower section where it connects to the cylinder head work much higher temp.. no water jackets over there, so eventually paint will burn off.
I painted mines with high temp paint (the one for home cast radiators), I will see how it performs once the engine its put toghether
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 11:34pm
Well critter really helped me out today! Hats off to him. I had problems removing the oil filter and after his help we went out for the first time!!! It was sweet!! Everything ran really smooth. Dripless system, engine, steering! Everything! Thanks again Critter!

The only thing we noticed was the transmission was making a squealing noise. I saw in this post that the 1:23 always makes a squealing noise. Is this true?

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5316

Here are a few pics of the first time my 2001 was on the water since the rebuild. A few finishing touches and she will be complete!!

The RPMS was matching the speed dead on. 2000 rpms was 20 mph and so on.

Shot of the new platform on the boat. I will get some better ones!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021 23>
  Share Topic