NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1974 Stringer Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2010 at 3:45pm
Clark,

Looking pretty good. Keep throwing the questions out. All the guys on here are really helpful and knowledgable. If I can help, let me know. I'm up in Owasso, and doing a rebuild on my Supra over the winter. I'm about one step ahead of you...I already have one new stringer back in and working on the second. If you want to stop by and pick my brain, or physically see the progress, let me know. You and I can drink a Coors Light and look into my boat just like you are in that picture. ;-)
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2010 at 7:40am
Okie board sounds good I'm actually in sand springs. When did u graduate?
Thanks Clark Slaten
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2010 at 2:22pm
I graduated in 1990, in CA. I've only lived in OK for about 5 years.
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2010 at 3:47pm
Sounds good. We will have to meet up and have a beer.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2010 at 2:00am
Okie Boarder:
What is your email. I would like to get together and pcik you brain for a few ideas.

Thanks Clark Slaten
Thanks Clark Slaten
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2010 at 9:09pm
Clark,

I sent an email to you through your profile. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Andy
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2010 at 9:56pm
Yeah I got it.

Thanks Clark Slaten
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2010 at 5:11am
Ok I'm about to start putting the engine back together. I have a new 351 windsor. Everything is stock accept the cam. It is just like one step up from stock. Im running the stock prop. I want to get 48-50 MPH out of my 1974 Ski nautique. Is this possible and what will I have to do??
Thanks Clark Slaten
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2010 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Cslaten33 Cslaten33 wrote:

Ok I'm about to start putting the engine back together. I have a new 351 windsor. Everything is stock accept the cam. It is just like one step up from stock. Im running the stock prop. I want to get 48-50 MPH out of my 1974 Ski nautique. Is this possible and what will I have to do??

Sure, its possible- but that all depends on your hull, engine tune and prop. We had a few 2nd gen SN's at Lake George this year hitting 49mph on the gps and both engines were essentially stock. One had an Acme 540, the other had the stock 13x13, if I remember correctly.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2010 at 6:16pm
49.1 and probably would've hit 50 if you and Melissa put a couple pounds on when riding in the back. ;)

Stock, needing a tune up with a 540.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2010 at 11:03pm
Depends on my hull?? What does that mean? I do not follow?

Thanks Clark Slaten
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2010 at 11:03pm
What is 540? Is that a prop?

Thanks Clark Slaten
Thanks Clark Slaten
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2010 at 11:29pm

Depends on my hull?? What does that mean? I do not follow?

Clark each hull comes out of the mold differently,some are "fast" some are "slow". I think I have a slow one Someday I hope to hang it in the garage and sand and polish the bottom and see if it helps.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 2:32am
Oh thanks for this information. I never knew that.

Thanks Clark Slaten
Thanks Clark Slaten
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 12:57pm
540 is an acme prop. Polishing the bottom of the boat might have a reverse effect. Have you ever seen the bottom of a racing sailboat? Some look like a golf ball.

I have some hull blisters on the bottom of my 78, wonder if they help?
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

I have some hull blisters on the bottom of my 78, wonder if they help?

Hopefully these help my Skier once I get her running! I've got a few aswell, gives the boat character...right?!
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 8:58pm
My hull looks pretty good on the bottom other then where the owner before me put it on the trailer and hit the fenders. He just scrapped up the gel-coat no biggy.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2010 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

Polishing the bottom of the boat might have a reverse effect. Have you ever seen the bottom of a racing sailboat? Some look like a golf ball.

Mine is kind of chalky tho and I'd like it cleaned up
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 5:49am
How do you go about cleaning the under side of the boat?
Thanks Clark Slaten
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 5:58am
Use the bow and stern lift rings and suspend it off the trailer.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 10:00am
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Use the bow and stern lift rings and suspend it off the trailer.

Inspect all the below deck hardware and hull fastening before you consider this. CC went real cheap in this area are we've see lots of rusted out hardware. Also, since you have stringer rot, there is a chance the wood for the ring anchors in the hull have rot as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 10:21am
I wouldn't be underneath the boat while is is hanging from the lift eyes. Please support it with jack stands at least 3 places.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 3:45am
Cool guys thanks for the information. I would have never thought to look at theses things...

Thanks Clark Slaten
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 4:46am
Hey guys what is better to use doug fir, or pressure treated marine grade???
Thanks Clark Slaten
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 10:02am

Hey guys what is better to use doug fir, or pressure treated marine grade???

Clark,
You haven't been doing your homework/searching/reading on CCfan!

No on the treated. The chemicals used even on the new process don't get along with the epoxy resin. You wouldn't be gaining anything over a CPES and epoxy job ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 12:49pm
plus if you get a sliver with treated, it hurts and swells red.....that should tell you something
"the things you own will start to own you"
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 12:25am
So Doug fir is the only way to go with wood?
Also can you guys explain to me how they do fiberglass floors with nothing under neither them except stringers? I'm way lost on that one.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 8:18am

So Doug fir is the only way to go with wood?

In some other threads, we have been talking about using LVL (microlam) as a alternate in areas where the Doug Fir is hard to get.

Also can you guys explain to me how they do fiberglass floors with nothing under neither them except stringers? I'm way lost on that one.

The glass and resin is laid down over the foam after it's leveled off.

Clark, you really need to take a look at some of the other threads on stringer replacement!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 2:36am
Well I really want to do a soilid doug fir floor. Like hard wood floors in a house and just resin over them so no water seeps in.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 9:10am

Well I really want to do a soilid doug fir floor. Like hard wood floors in a house and just resin over them so no water seeps in.

Clark,
Are you thinking a T&G fir floor like porch decking? If so, you are asking for problems. I thought you were going is restore this boat?

Fir plywood is used on a no foam job but of course then the floor covering is put down over it. Weren't you going to go look for the vinyl?

Also, resin by itself is very weak. It simply is the adhesive for the glass which is the strength of the system. I suggest at a minimum, a 4oz. glass cloth should be put down on the plywood.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic