NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What motor do I have?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Yes Chris, and the plastic manifold elbow reminds me of an Indmar.

Bare in mind PCM used plastic elbows as well for many years.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
pmgIA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmgIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 5:43am
Rough crowd, glad I didn't/don't do the work. Seriously, I appreciate the feedback. I have two children, their friends and my wife on the boat often. I want it to be safe, safe to 2011 standards, not 1979.

So I'm understanding that I need to order the "add-on" J tubes and a metal fuel line. The dealer is a little over an hour away, they will be doing the winterization and some other work I may want done at the end of the season, but I would like to get the fuel line and j plugs in now. Does anyone have a place to order these? and/or part numbers?

This post has caused me to look over some other parts of the boat, namely the fuel system. In the photo attached you might notice a metal connector in the fuel line as it comes down the tank. Is this normal? I assume not, so I would like to put in a new fuel line from the tank to the separator (I think that is where that line goes?) I also seek a part number and place to order that line as well. Then being myself, I ask, "Why not replace all the fuel lines?"

This motor is strong, strong enough that last week at the mini, two people commented on how well it sounded and started and ran. It has 1700 hours on the motor, I'm thinking about pulling it this winter and having someone overhaul it, paint it and make it like new? Cost? Suggestions? I am also thinking about having the topsides and side walls gelcoated, am I crazy? Anyone know the cost of that? I am not one to take on these projects. The floor is solid, it was redone in 2005 and carpeted. The only other thing todo is the vinyl. Any costs on that? Should I send the seats off to someone that does SN?

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!!!
1993 Correct Craft Sport (for sale)
1979 Correct Craft Ski Nautique (sold)
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by pmgIA pmgIA wrote:

Rough crowd,

Patrick, not a rough crowd just looking out for you and trying to inform (or be informed) and save folks some $!

With some help, I think you could probably tackle some of these projects yourself. You seem like you are interested enough in these boats to want to take on some minor projects and are willing to learn. Here are my thoughts on your last post.

Fuel system:
I would guess you'd want to have the marina do the fuel line. Since this is a pretty important thing to get right, you might want to have them do it? Just my $.02

Gel:
Your boat does feel very solid for the brief time I spent in it, and she seems to run great. As far as the gel goes, you can wetsand and buff the deck to make it look like new. I didn't notice any stress cracks of spider webs on your deck so there is no need to re-gel. If you do the hull, you might have to get rid of those vinyl graphics and go back to original    Check out this thread on repainting the graphics on these 70's boats. It was very informative and turned out great! graphics update

When you clean it up this fall, give toilet bowl cleaner a shot. I've had good luck with it on our hull to take away the yellow tint.

Motor:
As far as the motor goes, our 88 had 1,900 hrs and ran perfect. I sold the boat to ryan (form&function) and he planned on doing an overhaul. Once he got into it and did a compression check he couldn't justify spending the money because it was so strong. Point being, just because it has high hours doesn't mean it needs a rebuild. They can still be very strong. Do a compression check and see what she reads. Unless you have other reasons for a rebuild I don't see a reason to.

If you have the marina rebuild the motor, your looking at 4,500 bucks (what I was quoted in DM). I have a buddy who had a 318 chrysler done here in town for 1,000 with a new block, painted but he had to put the motor back in himself. Something you can be capable of with info on this site.   

Interior:
Your carpet looks great, I would think you can get the seat skins from Christine's and have someone put them on locally. Or, if you want you can probably do them yourself.   I started my backseat build last night and was happy with the result thus far. I've got probably 2 hours in it and maybe another 2 before I'm done. The only other thing would be to make some speaker boxes, another project thats been tackled on the site.

Sorry for the novel, but I think you've got a great little boat and think you can do a bunch of work to it yourself with the help of the guys here!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Fuel system:
I would guess you'd want to have the marina do the fuel line. Since this is a pretty important thing to get right, you might want to have them do it? Just my $.02

I don't know Chris, maybe it was a marina who did the "slip some rubber tubing over the cut off old steel line and hope it holds without even a barbed fitting trick"!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Fuel system:

I don't know Chris, maybe it was a marina who did the "slip some rubber tubing over the cut off old steel line and hope it holds without even a barbed fitting trick"!!!

Could be Pete! I went to look at a boat last fall at a Correct Craft dealership in that area (I wont name) and it was a basket case. He started it up and water started pouring out the riser onto the floor! I had driven 2.5 hrs to look at it because he said it was in great shape and completely solid. Not the case, and they were asking good $ for a beat to sh*7 boat!
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2010 at 2:28am
Patrick, Here is a link for the J tubes. This is the only place I have found that sells them. You'll need 2.

j tubes

This place will most, if not all parts you might need. Take a look around on the site. DIM is not a sponsor anymore, but has been in the past, and still gives a discount to CCF members. Our sponsors have pretty much all the other parts, but the J tubes are hard to find elsewhere.

As far as that brass piece in the fuel line, it's probably a hose connector barb to put 2 pieces of hose together. That's not a big deal but should have clamps on it if it doesn't.

Hold old is the fuel line? It will have a year stamped on it if it is proper fuel line. Mine was from 78 on mine, so original until last summer. It was starting to crack, on the outside, but I didn't want any problems, so I replaced all of it with new 2009 marine fuel line.

Re skinning the interior can be pretty pricey. I had a custom 3 tone job done on mine by an upholsterer friend and while I wasn't charged for labor ( a lot of which I helped) the marine vinyl alone is not cheap. I also redid all of the interior, and engineered a new rear facing love seat bench for the observer seat on mine. Sticking to the original seat styles will make the upholstery job cost a lot less.

Tom

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2010 at 1:41pm
I would replace the fuel line with CG approved line. All line today is rubber or high pressure with FI. The rubber line will install easier, neater and above all will help the vapor lock problems. The vibrations with the metal become brittle at the flanges and they can will crack and leak in time.For the life of me if they would have put the double flange as for brakes that problem would go away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic