NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

75 separator rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 15>
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 3:58pm
Looks all too familiar. My 73 skier was just one rotten piece of rot after another. Just when you thought you might get away with not replacing this or that you are quickly reminded that EVERYTHING is rotten. I could squeeze water out of my transom lift ring assembly and it is 2" up in the air. That was the final piece that made me realize nothing was safe.

You are doing the right thing and will have a sweet new/old boat when you are done.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 9:08pm
Well got more done on the sep! revamped the mobile bunk so it was usable to do all repairs, and not having to put on stationary bunk. do to not wanting grinding dust in my shop the brackets slid in and out and are ajustable up and down. removed almost all rotten wood, just keel board left, you know who you are that talked me into this, bfn. picked up all my wet sanding stuff today for deck and hull, starting at 600 then 1000 to 2000 then 4000. the last pic is of a test sand with 2000 just to check it out. hope you can see it in the pic Jeff
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 9:14pm
Looking good! I can see a bit of the difference in the last pic. Whats the reasoning for going to 4000?

The 3m Compounds will take out anything 2000+
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 9:21pm
Almost forgot this pic. check out where PO replaced speedo pick up, you can see where water was running in and out. no wonder why these boats rotted from the inside out, also check out spider cracks do to rotten transom. [FLEX]
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 9:25pm
Sorry! again Storm! 4000 was recomended for a better finish, over kill huh.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 9:40pm
Wow, thats amazing. I guess if you didn't know any better one would think leaving a hole like that was ok. Man were they wrong!!!!

Seems like it may be overkill but if you have time and energy, it's not going to hurt anything.

Thats one interesting speedo.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 4:11am
Well got back with the donor boat for the upgraded outdrive tore into it last night and today, got all parts needed for sep. thay are dirty but in very good shape, the rest of the boat ain,t worth a rusty penny. who needs a lawn ornament?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 4:25am
Decided on what motor will go into this project. sbc 383 stroker 420 hp from summit a blueprint brand motor, has any body used this brand or can suggest a better alternitive with the same ponys and torque.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 10:51am
Hey guys, is the exhaust thru hull original to this boat? If so, I wonder why it was placed so high on the transom? It seems that being so high would be annoying from a sound perspective. Jeff, with your new power, will you be staying with the single exhaust outlet? Will you be keeping it that high on the transom? Just curious. Nice project and nice work
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 10:57am
OK then...just which BFN is being dissed here?   

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Hey guys, is the exhaust thru hull original to this boat? If so, I wonder why it was placed so high on the transom? It seems that being so high would be annoying from a sound perspective.

Steve,
The I/O's I've seen had the normal through the prop exhaust like Jeff's. However, when the Seperator/Torino/Spoiler hulls were set up with V drives, two different exhausts though the transoms were used. The early hulls were set up exiting high since the exhaust manifolds exits were towards the aft and went directly out from there. Then later (maybe to quite them down) the manifolds were reversed so the exits pointed forward. Then, they made a "U" bend down into the bilge and aft exiting the transom at a level common to the DD's. Real late in the V/D's life, I even think CC installed mufflers down under the engine.

That "flapper" on Jeffs transom is for the bilge ventilator.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 11:39am
I know someone that has a pair of Interceptor "U" outlets if you need them.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 11:42am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Hey guys, is the exhaust thru hull original to this boat? If so, I wonder why it was placed so high on the transom? It seems that being so high would be annoying from a sound perspective.

Steve,
The I/O's I've seen had the normal through the prop exhaust like Jeff's. However, when the Seperator/Torino/Spoiler hulls were set up with V drives, two different exhausts though the transoms were used. The early hulls were set up exiting high since the exhaust manifolds exits were towards the aft and went directly out from there. Then later (maybe to quite them down) the manifolds were reversed so the exits pointed forward. Then, they made a "U" bend down into the bilge and aft exiting the transom at a level common to the DD's. Real late in the V/D's life, I even think CC installed mufflers down under the engine.

That "flapper" on Jeffs transom is for the bilge ventilator.

Ahhhh, my newbieness shining thru. Thanks for the clarification, Pete.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2011 at 8:40pm
Pete! you are exactly rite, as always. Steve I will be running thru hull exhaust up high,I like the rumble. with the new power i will be replacing the old 302 mercruiser with some chevy power 383 stroker i trimmed the transom today to fit the newer bigger outdrive, wasnt alot but this will definetly help. will keep ya posted.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Hay Riley! can ya get a pic of the u outlets for me? thanks jeff
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Hay Riley! can ya get a pic of the u outlets for me? thanks jeff

This is the best pic I got. It's from the ebay listing when we got them. I want the manifolds, but don't need the elbows.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 10:52pm
Worked on the sep today, removed the keel board [thanks tim] it wasnt rotten but it was soaked all wiring removed and also got the old mercruiser throttle out. we also removed the window all the bolts had to be cut do to severe rust, what a pain so little room. just about have the hull stripped for wet sanding. waiting for a decent day to get the hull outside to finish grinding inside so we can get to glassing. here is some pics from today. btw what did cc use to seal window to hull. boat kinda looks like a donzi wiyhout window
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 11:04pm
Hay Riley ! I cant see them thay are to small, are thay alum or cast? i might have a issue with exh cause of the way the steering hooks up do to being a out drive you can give me a ring to explain them if ya like. Thanks Jeff 269 506 1249
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2011 at 10:45am
if your going to skin the wood off the transom, buy yourself a portable hand planer, works well, I have a ton of Chevy Merc takeouts with all the ornaments hanging if you need any parts. google silent choice, alot of Mercs use them,
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2011 at 10:53am
you gotta watch, if you purchase a pre 86 chubby, it is a 2 piece rear main with different crank which warrants a different alpha drive coupling, after 86 is a 1 piece rear main, and to a different coupling....a little pricey and worth purchasing a new one because they tend to fail often.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2011 at 10:56am
also, if you put a new gimble bearing in and U-joints, which i hope you would while its off, buy them from Napa and not Merc....Merc gimble bearings and u-joints deleted the zerc fittings and a grease hole on the bearing so you cant service them....bastards
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2011 at 11:03am
if you do happen to go with thru hull, they do make a set of baffles, believe me the noise will be annoying as fck after a while, the baffles tame down the noise a bit and the complaints, open exhaust on an I/o is a touch louder than the norm of an inboard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2011 at 2:42pm
Good morning eric! yes the chubby is a 1 piece rear main, the newer OD is a 87model do ya think there will be a problem. was thinking of going with either aluminum mercruiser replacements 650 complete or the MP2K from michigan motors 1300 bones. the manifold are a long way off but need to be considered during this build do to steering clearance. so the planer will take the thin layer of wood off transom, good idea that was my next project considering baffles but dont know if i have enough room. here is a pick of todays project, removed bow lift ring supports that was the last piece of rotten wood thats coming out and was one of the toughest. if any body thinks thay can leave any wood in during a resto look at this!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2011 at 2:43pm
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2011 at 11:19am
Jeff, I'll call you later thins morning. I posted a better picture. The elbows did come off an Interceptor V Drive engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 9:56am
the baffles are about the size of a coffee can cut in half and mount directly to the transom and they have their own outlet tips that go out the back of the boat, cuts the open header noise in half, really is annoying with straight pipes on I/O's. when it comes to manifolds on these boats i can always think of better ways to spend the money, if its open checkbook, go with your gut. But, I think a pair of Mercs would be the way to go. if your going with a stroked engine there is plenty of useable horsepower
1986 is when they switched to a one piece RM, so the 87 coupling will fit on the crank. when you get to the point of aligning the engine to the drive i will send you my extra tool, but i need it back.
The planer is definitely the way to go to skin the transom, it gets right down to the glass, I have a twin engine boat i have to put a transom in next month and i am not looking forward to it, I threw him a high price to dis courage him and he said OK, when should i bring it? fckkkkkk!!! not so bad though I guess, I need something to fill my days
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 1:47pm
Thank for the info Eric! will pick up planer today apprecate use of tool down the road! guess ill go with mercs. thanks jeff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 2:25pm
now you know what i do in between transmissions lol, put my share of transoms in and alot of repairs on the Alpha/ gimble rings, crack the drive in half and put a new impeller in there, new rubber and shift cable...dont ask why just do it... lol really, invest in a new shift cable to the drive or the boat will stall everytime you put it into reverse because of the interupter switch.
WOFTAM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 8:15pm
Hey Connorsons
I have to give a plug for an oscillating tool for that transom.   I cannot tell you how much I love my Rein multimaster. I have recited so many boats with it I cannot even count. Of course the market is flooded with them now. I heard their patent expired ...I have seen dremel Milwaukee Bosch Rockwell and even Harbor Freight with oscillating tool models. Don't skimp on the blades though. I tried a HF. Blade for kicks and it lasted about 30 min before the teeth were rounded. By comparison some of my Rein blades are years old. I have bought Bosch blades in a pinch and they seem to hold up pretty well.
Just because you can does not mean you should.
WOFTAM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 8:18pm
Last post should read Fein Multimaster. Dang autotext..
Just because you can does not mean you should.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 15>
  Share Topic