NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mystery 454? NEED HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 6:21pm
Starter motors, when mounted forward of the flywheel, will turn clockwise (R.H.) to start a standard rotation (L.H.) counter-clockwise motor. Starters mounted aft of the flywheel will turn counter-clockwise (L.H.) to start the same engine. Everything is just the opposite when speaking of a reverse rotation (R.H.) clockwise engine.

snowdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 6:28pm
so went to remove starter and opened up the battery compartment to find the neg cable melted to the post? what could cause this? the only thing i recently messed with was the wires going to the coil after i had it tested maybe hooked up wrong? it was a new battery. this has been how it has gone with this boat.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 6:33pm
Trying to crank it backwords probably put a big load on that starter and if that connection was not tight it would create a lot of heat at that point.
snowdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 6:42pm
Yeah that sounds like it is it. The connection was only hand tight bummer. COuld i rewire the end of the neg cable to fit on the big post or is the battery shot?
snowdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 6:58pm
ALso if someone could tell me where the best place to order the starter from? And just to clarify I need a top mount starter for a gm with a starter rotation of ccw right? Jus tconfusing if they are talking engine or starter rotation when looking online at starters>
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 6:58pm
Don't think it is shot yet wait till you get correct starter and see what happens.What were you going to get for carb?I think you should do a little more research on motor before making decision.I would want to know what heads and maybe a peak into cylinder to see if it's got domed pistons and a rough idea of cam lift.
snowdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 7:09pm
Ok. That sounds like a good idea I would like to by the correct parts for it and make it right. I can determine what heads are on it by taking off a valve cover? How about the cam lift?
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 7:10pm
Michigan motorz has a listing for top mount standard rotation don't know if you have a local boat parts place that will have one on the shelf of course there is always ebay if you are sure you are ordering correct part.Sure someone will chime in with reliable source.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 7:19pm
Have a look at Arco Marine. I have one that came on my 82 Sn and seems to work fine.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 7:30pm
The casting numbers are under valve cover with the date code.You can get a ball park number on valve lift with a set of dial calipers or if you have a mag base and dial indicator it's pretty easy.just check valve closed then turn over by hand till fully open.Just like to get a rough idea if it's a somewhere near stock lift or something more high performace.If you have access to one of those little video cams to peak in cylinder great just like to get idea of compression ratio.
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 7:51pm
wow. what a lucky find! FREE! who can argue? If you get it running mind posting a vid of it?
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 10:07am
Originally posted by snowdan snowdan wrote:

this has been how it has gone with this boat.

Don't get discouraged Dan. I will tell you that if it has sat for some time you could potentially put quite a bit more money into this then you would have ever thought. Not trying to scare you off by any means but it's a boat. That's what they do. Suck up money. Then to add insult to injury, you add "marine" to any part the prices will skyrocket.

On the flip side, there is nothing more enjoyable than spending time in or behind your ride. Well, OK maybe one thing is more enjoyable but that doesn't last nearly as long.
When you get it running and you realize what you can accomplish in the watersport world with family and friends and the fun you can have, you'll never regret a single dollar that you put into it.

Besides, you got it for FREE!!!!!!!!! Quit yer bitchin'.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 10:27am
You can get a battery terminal that clamps on the large post and accepts the ring terminal. Dont use wing nuts even if they come with the terminal.
NAPA in FL. stocks marine electric components like starters and alternators. Maybe they do in you town as well?
The ARCO starter would be a good choice.
BBC are notorious for bending push rods I would pull the valve covers and bar it over to make sure.

You can also double check the firing order and rotation while baring it over using opposing valve theory.
Stand by and ill figure out the order for you..
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 10:39am
"rocking" is the overlap position and 180 degrees off of firing position. It is observed by watching both the intake and exhaust rockers moving at the same time. When this occurs, the sister cylinder is in TDC position or firing. This is how we set valves and injector timing on inline six diesel engines. It aint easy baring over a 12 liter diesel.
It is also used on V-8 gassers if you know the firing order. 18436572 for a LH BBC. Draw mental lines across the dizzy cap to ID the pairs.

For a LH BBC the valves may observed as opposing or sister cylinders as follows:
1&6
8&5
4&7
3&2

When 1 is rocking, 6 is knocking and versa visa.
When #1 cylinder shows both rockers moving you should have # 6 cylinder rockers in the relaxed position, both valves closed. Follow the rule with the remaining pairs. I find it quite useful for setting valve lash at guaranteed known position.
A little old school for the young techie crowd but it works every time.
You can use this info to 100% ID the cam shaft firing order.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 11:06am
First check, are you certain the carb is automotive?

It looks supicously like the carb on the PCM HO454, list 9022
Dual feed. Mech sec. Even PCM used soft line up to the fuel feed

http://www.holley.com/0-9022.asp

Check that list number on the air horn.

The new ones have the plastic accel pump arms, but you get the idea
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 11:12am
If the bowl vent tube does a J turn and points back down the throat then its marine.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

First check, are you certain the carb is automotive?

It looks supicously like the carb on the PCM HO454, list 9022
Dual feed. Mech sec. Even PCM used soft line up to the fuel feed

http://www.holley.com/0-9022.asp

Check that list number on the air horn.

The new ones have the plastic accel pump arms, but you get the idea

Tom, Did those have the externally adjusted floats?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Tom, Did those have the externally adjusted floats?

Yes, Center Hung double pumpers. (just sounds dirty)

Just no sight plugs on the bowls!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 1:15pm
Our 750cfm marine 4160 has externally adjusted floats as well... that seems to be standard on the >650cfm carbs.
snowdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 1:25pm
Il pop those valve covers today and see if I can figure out the firing order. When a valve is relaxed the rockers will have play in them right? The list on the carb was 4779 and I was told was not marine no j tubes besides that the primary throttle shaft has tons of play in it. Found some starters that look the same but not knowing if it is a omc, mercruiser etc makes it hard. I found a starter that is for a crusader 7.4 that looks like a match but how can I be certain? I was laughing because the only starters that were ever I this boat since I had it were the wrong direction. I will post the carrying numbers from the head when I open it up. I will need some help determining which carb to buy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 1:56pm
Yes you are correct.

I would wager somebody here has a carb for you. I am not a Holly guy so no help here on that. Other than being original I cannot understand the obsession with such a finicky carburetor. I threw the leaky POS in the dumpster and bolted on an AFB with a wedge and haven't looked back. I am sure there must be a benefit somewhere, I just have not discovered it personally.

Not really sure why I posted that, it wasnt helpful. Its just something I ponder quite often. Sorry for the derail.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 2:05pm
Heads will largely drive your carb choice, so let us know what you find.

The exhaust manifolds look like Indmars to me, but there seem to be a lot of non-original parts on that motor. Regardless, the only thing I can think of that would be marinization-specific about the starter choice is the bellhousing. Though, my guess is that so long as you get a marine starter for a Mark IV BBC that spins the proper way for the location youre mounting it in, you should be fine. I dont recall struggling to find a starter for our RH top mount OMC.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 2:11pm
Tim, when ordering a starter and speaking of rotation, we are referring to the rotation of the bendix when observed from the bendix end correct? I turn mental back flips on that sometimes. Its easy to over-think it..
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 2:14pm
Oh, no diff on bell housing or ring gears between BBC and SBC as far as i can remember.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 2:36pm
You have the rotation convention correct.

I always think of ford windsors... The rh engines use ccw bottom mount starters.
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Yes you are correct.

I would wager somebody here has a carb for you. I am not a Holly guy so no help here on that. Other than being original I cannot understand the obsession with such a finicky carburetor. I threw the leaky POS in the dumpster and bolted on an AFB with a wedge and haven't looked back. I am sure there must be a benefit somewhere, I just have not discovered it personally.

I have a list 9022 Holley 800 CFM 4150 marine double pumper for sale. Rebuilt last season and ran maybe 10 hours. New billet base plate replaced the worn out original. No choke on it currently but I may have the choke parts if you want to run a choke. Got frustrated with a problem I couldn't figure out and bought a new one to replace it. Turns out I had a vacuum leak under the intake and this carb is fine. I'd like $450 for it. If interested let me know, would be a good fit for a 454... I had it on my PCM 454.

As for your dislike of Holley carbs... They are not finicky, but rather they are very simple and reliable. I don't understand where this reputation of being finicky comes from. They just plain work. Every "finicky" problem I've come across is a result of contamination, typically junk in the air bleeds from improperly installed or inadequate air filtration. In my observation the people who typically bash Holley carbs don't understand how they work, and are having trouble with their old worn out engine not running right with an old gunked up carb, or just bolting on a brand new carb on wahtever engine with no tuning and complain that it doesn't run right, has flat spots, runs rich, or whatever. All carbs must be clean and tuned for the engine to run right. It's a simple, reliable, tunable, and well proven design.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 4:11pm
Thats a good deal for the carb.
snowdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by cadunkle cadunkle wrote:

Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Yes you are correct.

I have a list 9022 Holley 800 CFM 4150 marine double pumper for sale. Rebuilt last season and ran maybe 10 hours. New billet base plate replaced the worn out original. No choke on it currently but I may have the choke parts if you want to run a choke. Got frustrated with a problem I couldn't figure out and bought a new one to replace it. Turns out I had a vacuum leak under the intake and this carb is fine. I'd like $450 for it. If interested let me know, would be a good fit for a 454... I had it on my PCM 454.

As for your dislike of Holley carbs... They are not finicky, but rather they are very simple and reliable. I don't understand where this reputation of being finicky comes from. They just plain work. Every "finicky" problem I've come across is a result of contamination, typically junk in the air bleeds from improperly installed or inadequate air filtration. In my observation the people who typically bash Holley carbs don't understand how they work, and are having trouble with their old worn out engine not running right with an old gunked up carb, or just bolting on a brand new carb on wahtever engine with no tuning and complain that it doesn't run right, has flat spots, runs rich, or whatever. All carbs must be clean and tuned for the engine to run right. It's a simple, reliable, tunable, and well proven design.

pics of carb? would this bolt right on?
snowdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 9:14pm

this looks like the exact starter. anything wrong with this one?

NEW STARTER 99 00 MERCRUISER MARINE INBOARD 7.4 MIE MPI
MERCRUISER MARINEINBOARD ENGINES Model 7.4L MIE (LH) (Gen VI) GM 7.4L - 454ci - 8cyl 1996-1997
MERCRUISER MARINEINBOARD ENGINES Model 7.4L MIE MPI (L29) (Gen VI) GM 7.4L - 454ci - 8cyl 1998-2000
MERCRUISER MARINEINBOARD ENGINES Model 7.4L MIE MPI (LH) (Gen VI) GM 7.4L - 454ci - 8cyl 1996-1997
MERCRUISER MARINEINBOARD ENGINES Model 7.4L MIE TBI (LH) (Gen VI) GM 7.4L - 454ci - 8cyl 1996-1997
MERCRUISER MARINEINBOARD ENGINES Model 8.1S HO GM 8.1L - 496ci - 8cyl
MERCRUISER MARINEINBOARD ENGINES Model 8.1S Horizon GM 8.1L - 496ci - 8cyl
REPLACES PART NUMBERS:

MERCURY MARINE 50-808011A1

OEM(s):Delco
Type: DD
Voltage: 12 Volts
Rotation: CCW
Teeth/Splines: 9 Teeth/Splines
Pinion/Splines OD: 25.5mm / 1.004in
Mounting Hole 1: 12.3mm ID Unthreaded
Mounting Hole 2: 12.3mm ID Unthreaded
New or Remanufactured: New
Approximate Weight: 20.215 lbs / 9.19 kg
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by cadunkle cadunkle wrote:

They are not finicky, but rather they are very simple and reliable.

+1
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic