NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

compression and idle quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 9:26pm
That's pretty rough on the alternator, it might end up being bad if you keep that up. Ignition issues suck, I was thinking coil myself except when I had simialr issues I couldn't get it to restart or run with the throttle open up.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 9:44pm
Like TX said, if it wasn't the alternator causing the problem originally, it's probably suspect now! They don't last real long without a good 12v reference.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2014 at 12:11am
Do you have access to another battery you can try, like from your truck or something? How old is the one you've got in there? It could have some kind of internal short.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2014 at 12:19am
Nice... wont be doing that again. I have been wanting to get a 90 /100 amp altenator to replace mine.I have an amp and want to beef the the charging system up some.Any suggestions on an upgrade?
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2014 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Do you have access to another battery you can try, like from your truck or something? How old is the one you've got in there? It could have some kind of internal short.

Yeah once I hit the old battery with the start selection on my charger and realized that the engine smoothed out because of it I yanked the battery out of my wifes car and all troubles dissappeared. As I said before its charging right at 13.50 volts. I would have liked to see closer th 14 volts though.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2014 at 10:59am
13.5 is fine for a charge voltage. I wouldn't worry about that. The battery sounds like it's definitely the problem then.
Sometimes it's a real head scratcher at what the problem turns out to be.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2014 at 1:03pm
Batteries with dead cells can do all types of weird stuff. Ask me how I know.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2014 at 2:08pm
Glad you found the issue, your compression numbers are very good for a used engine. The fluctuating vacuum is a sign of dead cylinders. No spark will certainly kill cylinders. If you go with a new alternator for more Amps make sure it is a Marine Sealed unit. The Marine units are designed to make sure no spark is exposed. This way if you get a fuel leak there is reduced chance of Explosion. I think it is Marine Law also to have the sealed Starter and Alternator in boats.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic