NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Light Testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2014 at 7:04pm
Ah those were the days, slapping copper and watching the world go by thru the holes in the floor of my Chevy
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2014 at 2:05am
Pete, was my answer what you were looking for, are we talking about the same module?

On a subject kind of related to my initial wiring question - my plow connector is not connecting solidly, having trouble with plow lights and have to wiggle the plug into a specific position. It's a 12 pin on 2 rows, with pins similar to trailer wire flat connector pins. I think I can clean up the male pins OK, but is there a way to clean the sockets? I'll use dielectric grease, but is there any way to kind of renew the connection so they plug firmly in place again?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2014 at 9:48am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Pete, was my answer what you were looking for, are we talking about the same module?

On a subject kind of related to my initial wiring question - my plow connector is not connecting solidly, having trouble with plow lights and have to wiggle the plug into a specific position. It's a 12 pin on 2 rows, with pins similar to trailer wire flat connector pins. I think I can clean up the male pins OK, but is there a way to clean the sockets? I'll use dielectric grease, but is there any way to kind of renew the connection so they plug firmly in place again?

Yes, thanks for the input. I have looked at the remote modules but my diesel guy sticks with the OEM location. If they were under a year old, at least Stanadyne has picked up the cost of the module itself.

The female connections can be tough to clean up depending on the size. I have used small wire brushes and even pipe cleaner folded over in the Dremel. If you can't find small cylindrical Dremel brushes, McMaster has some minature tube brushes The shank dia. can be an issue in the collet of the Dremel but I've also stuck the brush in an electric drill. The "quick and dirty" is to wad up the corner of a scotch brite pad and try to get it in the socket.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2014 at 10:51am
What concerns me is that even if I get them somewhat clean, and with your suggestions I'll find a way, they still don't seem to mate well, too much wiggle. I almost wonder if I need to try to squash down the male pins a bit to make them fit tighter.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your diesel guy is wrong. It is 100% accepted knowledge that the PMD has to be remote mounted to survive. Call Heath Diesel, they are amazingly helpful and will fill you in on this on the phone.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2014 at 12:50pm
David,
If you can't tighten the plug by bending ether the male or female, there are conductive greases available. They also prevent corrosion. The down side to the grease is the expense!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2014 at 1:06pm
I usually try to grease all of the plow connections. We had issues with the some of the Meyer ones and had to tape them together (should have put Deutsche connectors on them). On old sleds with wiggly connectors I just took a zip tie and held them together nicely like that.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2014 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
If you can't tighten the plug by bending ether the male or female, there are conductive greases available. They also prevent corrosion. The down side to the grease is the expense!

I have dielectric grease, is that what you mean? Or is there something better?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2014 at 5:42pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,

I have dielectric grease, is that what you mean? Or is there something better?

Dielectric is non-conductive and isn't the same. Try to tighten up the connection since I just checked the price on the conductive. $32.00!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2014 at 12:05am
Ok, I guess I should have realized dielectric was non conductive. Seems to me the conductive grease could create a chance of shorting across contacts since they are pretty close together. I'll get it cleaned up and let you know how it goes, hope to have time tomorrow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2014 at 12:17am
David,
Yes, when using conductive grease you need to be careful were you put it and then cleaning any excess off around terminals. However, at 12 volts, you would really have to be pretty sloppy with the grease. 480 volts would be a different story!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2014 at 4:11am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Those Boss plows are solid, we have a Power - V up at the Tree farm on an old F-250, The V is great for opening up the roads after a big snow, that rig will go through anything. Oh and when you get your truck start, you can use the V to push yourself backwards...

Have to agree Steve, I bought my first plow in 1978... bought my Boss V a few years ago.. Would never go "straight" again!   

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Uhh o, don't let Workman see your plow rig. He will be smitten!!

Zach, Got to love a those good ol Chebies! I actually have been quite content with my plow... other than I would love to make a pair of wings for it someday.

The V does go thru about anything.. However, I did find it's limitations in this storm a couple of years ago.

ohhh, btw, I cant use my new battery charger as a 12 volt source. It has to sense a battery before it will produce any voltage.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2014 at 9:58am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Those Boss plows are solid, we have a Power - V up at the Tree farm on an old F-250, The V is great for opening up the roads after a big snow, that rig will go through anything. Oh and when you get your truck start, you can use the V to push yourself backwards...

Have to agree Steve, I bought my first plow in 1978... bought my Boss V a few years ago.. Would never go "straight" again!   

Uhh o, don't let Workman see your plow rig. He will be smitten!!

Zach, Got to love a those good ol Chebies! I actually have been quite content with my plow... other than I would love to make a pair of wings for it someday.

The V does go thru about anything.. However, I did find it's limitations in this storm a couple of years ago.

ohhh, btw, I cant use my new battery charger as a 12 volt source. It has to sense a battery before it will produce any voltage.

Ha! I remember that storm, took the city two days to get to our cul de sac, no problem though, me and my little 5 HP John Deere had it all cleared out!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2014 at 10:42am
Snow blowers are pretty amazing. We still have a half ton Dodge with a Meyer and my dad's older 3/4 ton with the straight poly boss. I love Meyers for their own reasons but I must say that boss hasn't given us a minute of trouble and it's gotta be at least 10+ years old. Seals on the Meyer pumps are their weak point.

Steve, I am looking into a foreclosure with some land enough to utilize our 56 Farmall Cub. I have been actively looking for the dual mount snow plow and grater blade since my DD is 2wd. Will also need to find some front and rear wheel weights for the rig too. So if you see anything like that up your way let me know
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2014 at 10:48am
Zach, I'll put the word out. Let Mars know too, lot of that stuff out in his part of the world. I'll let you know if I run across anything.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2014 at 10:51am
Nothing runs like a deer eh?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2014 at 11:24am

Nothing runs like a deer eh?

Yep! Dad retired from there (36 years or so), so I pretty much bleed green...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2014 at 11:27am
You can tell its winter when you guys get your snow plow boners.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2014 at 11:38am
Hahahha, It's going to be almost 50 degrees here today.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2014 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You can tell its winter when you guys get your snow plow boners.

too cold to boat...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 8:27pm
Slickest trailer light tester is using alarm battery...12v7ah...with pigtail of your choice attached.
This is the life
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 9:09pm

Steve, I am looking into a foreclosure with some land enough to utilize our 56 Farmall Cub. I have been actively looking for the dual mount snow plow and grater blade since my DD is 2wd. Will also need to find some front and rear wheel weights for the rig too. So if you see anything like that up your way let me know

I guess I missed this Zach.You looking for a plow like this?-
I rigged up a hydraulic blade direction rather than keep getting off to
do it,sure made life easier. Just so you know,you are looking for some of the most wanted items for a cub. Check out these sites- Cub forum
JP Tractor Salvage

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 11:59pm
Gary, do Cubs already have a hydraulic pump on them, or did you have to add one?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 12:30am
I meant to follow up on the plow harness. Here's a few pictures showing the ugly connectors.

I cleaned them up as best I could, plus cleaned every electrical connection I could find. Coated all with dielectric grease, and it's working well now. I could wiggle the connector a bit and no intermittent lights so hopefully this cured the problem, at least for now. Now need to install some LED backup lights.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 1:26am
That looks like they were hard to clean Dave hope it works out. Do you just use it for yourself or do you have accounts? Early Cubs the hydraulics were optional and if I remember correctly weren't even ready for the early tractors. Later ones all had them. This ones pump casting number does not match the year of the tractor so it must have been added before my Dad bought it in '60. It does a good job sure beats a shovel but a warm cab like yours would sure make a difference!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 1:32am

Now need to install some LED backup lights.

David
What kind of lights are you planning to install? I wanted to add auxiliary back up lights on my plow truck, but worried about breaking them off when backing thru snow windrows.

I ended up installing replacement LED bulbs in place of the stock backup bulb.
They work great and are probably twice as bright a the stockers.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 2:08am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

That looks like they were hard to clean Dave hope it works out. Do you just use it for yourself or do you have accounts? Early Cubs the hydraulics were optional and if I remember correctly weren't even ready for the early tractors. Later ones all had them. This ones pump casting number does not match the year of the tractor so it must have been added before my Dad bought it in '60. It does a good job sure beats a shovel but a warm cab like yours would sure make a difference!

I help plow a large commercial building, a guy I work with is the primary plow guy but I help out in larger storms or we can swap coming in at night when needed. Similar situation at an office building. I really like having the plow available.

Funny about warm cabs, I find myself plowing with the window down most of the time, you end up getting too warm. Still nice to be out of the elements!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 2:12am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Now need to install some LED backup lights.

David
What kind of lights are you planning to install? I wanted to add auxiliary back up lights on my plow truck, but worried about breaking them off when backing thru snow windrows.

I ended up installing replacement LED bulbs in place of the stock backup bulb.
They work great and are probably twice as bright a the stockers.

I picked up a pair of Baja round LED's, was able to compare a few brands at the parts store (awesome guy there let me open boxes and put the leads to a battery to try them), these seemed bright and brackets looked good. I guarantee I'll hit them at some point, I'm brutal about backing up into snow banks. I'm going to tuck them under the bumper at either side of the trailer hitch so they will be somewhat protected.

I'd like to run them to a switch in the cab, but may take the easy way out and just wire them to the backup lights. I don't think I'll bother with a relay with the low current draw of the LED's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic