Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nautique Upholstery!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2017 at 2:43pm
Do I think that a local shop could make and install the upholstery cheaper than Christine's skins? Possibly, but my experience was that local would be a bit more. And admittedly, we are talking about labor included in the local quote and not in the Christine price. However, I had such quality issues with local that I needed a better plan.. That plan was Nautique Skins. You know they'll be perfect and correct.
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
Goldcup101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 7:32pm
I'm restoring a 97 Ski Nautique which was missing the original observers cushion and had a lashed up back seat as it wasn't specced originally. I couldn't find either of these items anywhere so had to have them made. For that reason alone, getting skins from Chrsitines wasn't going to work since they're made for the original seats and our new ones will obviously be slightly different. We ended up finding an upholsterer (UK) who built a new back seat, observers cushion and reupholstered teh entire boat.
UK prices probably aren't comparable to the USA but I don't think there is much doubt that a pro upholstery shop will do a better install job an the average amateur who hasn't done it before (as I haven't).

Ours went from this:

To this:

Have got plenty more work to do mind you. Carpet can be saved but currently have engine in bits and hull needs a full wet sand. I think the interior makes a huge visual difference though.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:03pm
Looks good, doing the same to mine.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 1:13pm
Looks awesome.. Just FYI: My stock 1997 stern seat has the antelope carpet on that lower section between the seat bottoms and the floor.

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 1:16pm
..... like your spotter's seat....

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 5:56pm
I gave the guy lots of pictures of 97 and 98 examples and asked him to 'get as close as he can'. The back seat and spotters seat aren't as 'curvy' as the original design but I quite like what he's done. Matching carpet would have been next to impossible as the original carpet has faded a bit but I think will clean up pretty well. I attacked the removable rear floor panel with Simple Green and the jetwash and it's looking much better.

Engine top end rebuild is coming together well although 1 of the exhaust manifolds has broken. It's one of the ones with 'PCM Marine Engines' cast into the side in Yellow. As far as I know these are unobtainable so looks like I'll need to replace both with the newer version with stickers on the sides. Another $400 to add to the growing bill.

I'm pretty new to Nautiques so if anyone has any tips on the items below I'd be extremely grateful!

Where does the blower mount? It was rattling around the bilge unconnected and I can't figure out where it goes!

I can get hold of Zephyr and Neutral gelcoats ok but I also need a tiny amount of Green which is only available in 1 Gallon quantities. Has anyone got some of this in their garage or suggest any solutions for matching such a small quantity? Here's the limit of green required:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 6:19pm
No idea on the gel coat.... Those are come scratches!

On the manifolds, I needed a replacement skeg and actually found one off a boat being parted out much to my surprise. Maybe you could get lucky? I'm in the NH if I could be of assistance with shipping or checking something out locally.

The blower is mounted to the starboard stringer about the middle of the engine. I'll get a pic.

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 6:57pm
That's very kind thanks. I'm frequently in LA and San Francisco and sometimes NY or Miami but if something comes up further north I may give you a shout.

The scratches in the green gelocat at the nose should hopefully sand out but the rear corners clearly won't. Someone is guilty of some pretty careless driving! Most other hull scratches are pretty superficial except for one rather nasty spider crack which I'm minded not to touch. It's the size of an outstretched hand and I'd need to grind out the whole section. I'm sure I'd just make it worse. I'm probably lucky just to have the one spider crack
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2017 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Goldcup101 Goldcup101 wrote:

1 of the exhaust manifolds has broken.

I can get hold of Zephyr and Neutral gelcoats ok but I also need a tiny amount of Green which is only available in 1 Gallon quantities.

Calum,
Have you looked into repairing the manifold? Where is it broken? External cracks can be brazed and some have even had good luck with epoxy. Internal cracks can also be repaired but they get more complicated. A section of the outer wall is removed to gain access to the inner wall repair and then the outer wall is brazed or welded back up.

On the green gel, you may consider getting one of the gel repair kits that come with the tinting colors. The tricky part is matching the color. I find that before adding the hardener, adding the color is very small amounts until you get the color needed works best.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2017 at 11:07am
That's a big spider... It's truly refreshing to see someone taking the time to put a well-worn Nautique back in service.

Here's the pic.

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2017 at 5:45pm
Hi, Yes, I looked at repairing the manifold by wading through all the advice on this forum and beyond but there are 2 issues. First, the damage is a little more than a crack that can be epoxied (sp?) or welded!! (see photos below and also check out the state of one of the few better bolts that came out intact) Second, advice seems to be that the manifolds should be replaced every 10 years or so. I can't find any evidence that these have been replaced since the boat was built in 97 so perhaps they should be replaced in any case. The risers are actually pretty good so I'm leaving them.

It's quite a fun project but since it's a high hours engine (1800), we decided to do a top end rebuild at the very least. The good news is that having torn it down, it turns out to show virtually no wear at all. Bores, valve seals, valves, rockers, rings all seem great so it's really just a clean, valve grind and rebuild with fresh seals, gaskets, bolts etc. It was a ski school boat in England for most of its life (hence the missing back seat) so I suspect that it has done a lot of idle/slow speed time but also been well maintained. The top end of the engine is so good that we thought it had already been done but the nightmare in removing the risers and manifolds suggests it hasn't been taken apart before. Carb was a mess but that has come up beautifully with a rebuild kit and some hours of my Dad's expertise.
Everything is a bit harder given that we bought it in Scotland then brought it over to France where we live. Fortunately I'm in the US all the time which makes sourcing parts much easier and a lot cheaper than trying to buy them in Europe. We got the boat for the equivalent of $2900 and that was with an almost brand new transmission (less than 50 hours on it) with a supplied bill of $2700. Seems reasonably good value to me! I'm doing a blog on the restoration if anyone is interested.

Wetskier; thanks for the photo - very helpful!
8122 - Yes, I think I'll have a go with tinting gelcoat. Has to be worth a shot unless I find someone who has some "grreen" gelcoat. A chap over on the planetnatutique site did a frankly stunning resto on a similar boat with amazing results. (I found it quite inspiring to be honest). I swapped a couple of emails with him re gelcoat but nothing came of it. I have no idea how many boats with this colour scheme exist so I may be hoping for too much. Tinting may be the answer but I don't mind admitting to being a novice when it comes to gelcoat mixing!

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 7:38pm
I just started to replace the observer seat bottom skin on my 92.   The foam looks pretty tired. Does anyone know what thickness the foam started out life as, 3" or 4"? Is the front piece the same thickness as the back piece?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 8:45pm
Calum,
If you want, I suggest taking the broken manifold to another welder. I feel it's very repairable. It looks like a clean break and no erosion. After the repair, it would need to have a skim cut across the flange faces.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2017 at 7:13pm
Thanks for the advice; I didn't think it would be an easy fix. Off to a machine shop to investigate a repair! Will let you know how it goes.
Can these manifolds last as long as this? They're 20 years old but look pretty good internally despite 1800 hours engine use. There was an existing crack on the sheared piece (the darker section of the sheared surface) so was probably just waiting to go . I like the sand cast manifolds though so am keen to save them if possible.

Incidentally, wetskier, where does the blower get wired in? I can now see where it mounts thanks but there are short unconnected wires on the blower unit and I can't figure out where they connect?
Thanks, Calum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 11:27am
I suspect the wires (or at least 1 side) goes directly to the Blower Breaker/switch on the dash. I'll take a look and verify that..

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2017 at 5:58am
Well, it turns out that as you suggested, 8122, the manifold is repairable but, in France, the cost of that is almost as much as a new manifold so a new manifold it is!

The other one came off fine and seems ok so I'll just replace the one side. It will mean that they don't match since the ones with PCM cast into them aren't available any more but I'm figuring you can only see one side at any time!
shimano9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shimano9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 9:03am
I have a 2005 206 Air Nautique and am wanted to replace the back seat upholstery. Any one know how to remove the back seat? Are there bolts on the back or does it slide into notches? Can’t seem to figure this simple issue out. Thanks in advance! Jerry
JERRY
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 12:28pm
I can’t help you because I don’t know for sure if it’s like my 2000 Sport.
I would start a new topic with a specific title, you will probably get a quicker answer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic