NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Well, now for the questions...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Since you are new to inboard boating, maybe there is a chance to save you from becoming a tuber. Quit tubing, cold turkey.

I have taken a personal vow to never pull a tube again.

Brian, You must keep in mind that you have purchased a "ski" boat and not a "tube" boat. Tubing is a very bad habit to get involved in because the required skill level is 0. If you have a problem breaking this habit, we may be able to find a TA chapter in your area. That's "tubing anonymous" If you can't break it, You'll need to buy a different boat. The "thingy" is not ment for tubes!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bphillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bphillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:15pm

Since you are new to inboard boating, maybe there is a chance to save you from becoming a tuber. Quit tubing, cold turkey.

What can I say.. It's likely too late already. The kids loved it, heck I think I kinda liked it too! Were already looking for our next bigger and more comfy unit. It's kinda like crack I suppose. One hit and your hooked.
bphillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bphillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brian, You must keep in mind that you have purchased a "ski" boat and not a "tube" boat. Tubing is a very bad habit to get involved in because the required skill level is 0. If you have a problem breaking this habit, we may be able to find a TA chapter in your area. That's "tubing anonymous" If you can't break it, You'll need to buy a different boat. The "thingy" is not ment for tubes!

Does this mean I shouldnt look to be buying my new 2009 Tube Nautique?

Skill is overated... I'll take luck anyday! It does take strength to hold on when I got slingshot around the side in rough water.

I look at it this way, I'm happy to be in the water and watch my kids smile. After that its all gravy.   
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:23pm
I smiled plenty growing up without a tube, and all behind a pontoon boat.
bphillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bphillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:28pm
Ok, so I'm getting the concensus that you guys arent into tubes, right? Is there a particular reason? Forgive my ignorance but I didnt realize that we had opinions as to the right and wrong ways to have a good time.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:40pm
Yes, I realize it is selfish. I'm all for having a good time, and who am I to tell you what you should and shouldn't do on the water. I was merely sharing my thoughts on tubes and makign a suggestion. If we were on the same lake and I was trying to barefoot while you were tubing, I'd pack up my sh*t and find a new spot instead of barking at you.

I personally think it is a talentless activity that jeapordizes other's chances at performing a real sport, worse than driving around in laps. Atleast try it before tossing the tube back there.

My feeling/hope is that tubing is a fad in the watersports world. Obviously people like tubing because it is EVERYWHERE.

What are your feelings on jetskis?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by bphillman bphillman wrote:

Ok, so I'm getting the concensus that you guys arent into tubes, right? Is there a particular reason? Forgive my ignorance but I didnt realize that we had opinions as to the right and wrong ways to have a good time.

Brian,
Please, for your benefit, recognize that you have addresses not only collectors, and enthusiasts of the CC brand, but also some hard core (to the bone) skiers, wakeboarders and barefooters known to man.. Tubes are like Kryptonite to these guys. They make waves they don't want, and traffic that disrupts, well basically everything...

Don't dispair, many use their "ski boats" as tube boats when their kids are little and the water is rough.. When it's not and you see some people trying to ski around those little orange balls in the water,,,,, Stay completely AWAY... Or have a lot of cold beer on board as a truce when they hunt you down....

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Don't dispair, many use their "ski boats" as tube boats when their kids are little and the water is rough..

This is understandable. The epidemic we are currently suffering from is that tubing is what can be CAUSING the water to be so rough in some areas. If you want to run down the main channel with a 6-tube line I'd love to watch.

Courtesy and respect, we all share the water. I better log off, I can feel my blood pressure rising.
bphillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bphillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:52pm
I dont own any, but I like em. I race Pro desert on Motorcycles so the Jetski is a realtively natural segway. However, I gt a boat instead.

That all being said, why would you bark at someone for tubing in the vicinity where you barefoot? Is there a practical reason (like it screwing up your wake) or do you just generally not like seeing people without talent enjoying themselves? I'm not being trying to be rude, but hey, I'm the new guy and this whole thing is a learning experience for me. Without the needed details included your remarks sound a bit, I dunno, harsh maybe? I dont have years on this forum to draw my conclusions from. I have maybe 10 posts, 7 of them on this topic.

Lakes like Havasu, Mead and Powell are huge and have plenty of room for everything. Ignonce is bliss I suppose and at the moment I am one very blissful person
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:53pm

Brian,
when they hunt you down....

Moj'

I have scuba gear and a sharp knife. It opens up the tubes pretty easy!!

Brian, I feel it comes down to a matter of being courteous and sharing the lakes. The problem is that I have yet to find a courteous tuber!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:53pm
Tubers and Jet Ski's fall into the heading of"this takes no talent nor brains"
Do not get me wrong, these are great devices to start a "child into the water".I would call it training wheels. As soon as possible put them on a knee board and then onward to trainer ski's and in a short time they will be dropping followed by a deep start slalom.
But you have to be willing to spend the time and have fortitude to hang in there with them.The end result is priceless, and a gift they will treasure for the rest of their lives....
bphillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bphillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 4:02pm

Don't dispair, many use their "ski boats" as tube boats when their kids are little and the water is rough..

This is understandable. The epidemic we are currently suffering from is that tubing is what can be CAUSING the water to be so rough in some areas. If you want to run down the main channel with a 6-tube line I'd love to watch.

Courtesy and respect, we all share the water. I better log off, I can feel my blood pressure rising.

No reason to get upset. I am asking you to educate me. I wouldnt be suprised if more people would be respectful if the knew they were being disrespetful. I for one ddnt have a clue and without it being pointed out in relative detail, then I'd be at a loss and am sure that I'd find a way to piss you off if we met in the water. Now I know and will do my best not to.

I ride a Harley, I think guys that ride rice rockets down the freeway on 1 wheel make it bad for all of us. Hey they do... It really ticks me off. But then again my loud pipes aren making too many friends of those that dont understand and arent into Harleys. Guess we allhave to get along somehow.

FWIW, I bought the boat to ski/wakeboard, not to tube. The tube gets used when the kids are just too damn tired to bother with the boards or they are fighting over who gets to go in the water.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 4:28pm

No reason to get upset. I am asking you to educate me. I wouldnt be suprised if more people would be respectful if the knew they were being disrespetful. I for one ddnt have a clue and without it being pointed out in relative detail, then I'd be at a loss and am sure that I'd find a way to piss you off if we met in the water. Now I know and will do my best not to.

Bill, thanks. If there were more people like you on our public waterways, this wouldnt be such a sore subject here. Most people dont care if they are being disrespectful.

Tubes have their time and place. I loved them as a kid, but my parents would only take us when it was rough out AND we had already been skiing that day. Thank god. Now that Im older, I have a much greater appreciation for the sport. I still tube with friends on occasion, but its not what keeps me coming back to the water.

In case it wasnt obvious, skiing (and especially barefooting) requires calm water. Its possible to share the water with others without ruining it for everyone. That is, if youre not driving erratically while pulling a tube. Just be conscious of your wake and its effect on everyone else, and you'll be fine.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 4:30pm
Brian,

To answer your question of how tubing or Jet skiing disrupts certain skiing activities, most skiing activities like slalom skiing, barefoot or wakeboarding are ideally done on glass flat water without a ripple in site, this is considered utopia for any skier because it allows you to preform at your very highest level, in some cases such as barefoot even so much as a small wave can be enough to send the skier down face first at 40+ mph, while slaloming keeping an edge on rough water can be very difficult thus hindering your ability to make that next buoy or simply work on your form.

Tubing is a part of life and most likely every person on this board has either ridden or pulled a tube at one point in their life but it would be similar to having a sidecar or training wheels on your bike, not really much of a challenge, work on getting the kids skiing, kneeboarding or wakeboarding, it will challenge them much more and IMHO give them a much greater sense of accomplishment as they continue to excel.
bphillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bphillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 4:39pm
Well, I suppose the good news here is that in the vast expanse of lake where I will frequent, there is not likley much chance of glassflat water for me to interfere with, as Mead, Powell and Havasu are not great candidates for that type of serenity. Neither is Parker and the Colorado River, where the current from the Paker Dam cause near whitewater in some areas. These are recreational lakes and waterways, not much good for skiing in the manner you illustrate. At anyrate, I will do my best when tubing to keep clear of the skiers. Now if I can get that guy in the $100k+ 35' Hallett with the twin Blown Bigblock Chevys running nitro to keep is under 80, we'll all be good!
bphillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bphillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Bill, thanks. If there were more people like you on our public waterways, this wouldnt be such a sore subject here. Most people dont care if they are being disrespectful.

Tubes have their time and place. I loved them as a kid, but my parents would only take us when it was rough out AND we had already been skiing that day. Thank god. Now that Im older, I have a much greater appreciation for the sport. I still tube with friends on occasion, but its not what keeps me coming back to the water.

In case it wasnt obvious, skiing (and especially barefooting) requires calm water. Its possible to share the water with others without ruining it for everyone. That is, if youre not driving erratically while pulling a tube. Just be conscious of your wake and its effect on everyone else, and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the kind words. I guess I am a "glass half full" kind of guy, and expect that if properly educated, the majority of folks will be respectful of others. I think its a vast minority that screws it up for the rest of us. Then again I have been wrong before.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 4:50pm
Brian,

Sunrise is where you find that water, experience and familiarity with your waterway will also help find the sweet spots, low traffic or upwind locations that make the skiing experience so much better, and when you start working on your families skiing ability this site will provide experience as vast as those waterways to help you and your kids get to the next level, have fun, it is a great sport!

I do believe there are some very talented hydrofoilers in and around the areas you mentioned as I believe it was the birthplace of the Air Chair, that may be another event you could consider as it does not require glass flat water to enjoy and/or excel.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 4:52pm

Now if I can get that guy in the $100k+ 35' Hallett with the twin Blown Bigblock Chevys running nitro to keep is under 80, we'll all be good!

I'm glad you understand.

tuber on 300 acre lake = twin big block penis extension running 90 mph down havasu
bphillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bphillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 4:52pm
I am curious though, dont you guys ever do things that are mindless? I personally love the thought of after a day of skiing, being able to get leisurely pulled around the river or lake with a beer in one hand and a pretty lady in the other? Please tell me I'm not the only guy this thought is appealing to.
bphillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bphillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 4:56pm

Now if I can get that guy in the $100k+ 35' Hallett with the twin Blown Bigblock Chevys running nitro to keep is under 80, we'll all be good!

I'm glad you understand.

tuber on 300 acre lake = twin big block penis extension running 90 mph down havasu

Yes I definately do understand!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 4:57pm

I am curious though, dont you guys ever do things that are mindless?

You mean like getting married?
bphillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bphillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Brian,

Sunrise is where you find that water, experience and familiarity with your waterway will also help find the sweet spots, low traffic or upwind locations that make the skiing experience so much better, and when you start working on your families skiing ability this site will provide experience as vast as those waterways to help you and your kids get to the next level, have fun, it is a great sport!

I do believe there are some very talented hydrofoilers in and around the areas you mentioned as I believe it was the birthplace of the Air Chair, that may be another event you could consider as it does not require glass flat water to enjoy and/or excel.

Thank god my kids arent early risers! You all are safe from me. I will maintain that the tube will only come out during the late hours after the water is chopped up and that I will be cognizant of the skiers when using it.
bphillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bphillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 5:00pm

You mean like getting married?

Been there, done that.. Actually in the process of getting unmarried right now.

Wasn't quitewhat I meant, but I see you get the picture.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 5:29pm
If your sharing water with other people who have spent a lot of time, money, and energy to be able to catch those precious few moments of clean water then indeed some of us do get a bit heated if we perceive what is often referred to as wally type behavior.

Some of this is common sense some of it to those who haven't had the priveledge of growing up on and around boats is not so obvious so I will try a few tips.

Barefoot skiing and slalom skiing in particulare require nice straight runs of very calm and smooth water. In addition those sports take a lot of physical effort that cannot be maintained indefinitely. Once your up if someone cuts across the lane you really can't work that set, by the time it calms down legs, back, arms, etc are ready for a rest. The amount of speed involved in those sports is enough that trying to ski through those waves can cause a serious injury. When wakeboarding rolling waves are a little easier to deal with but can still be dangerous on big landings.

Waves that run parallel to shore along the upwind side will clear relatively quickly out of the area and allow everyone to experience clean water in turn. If someone is making waves perpendicular to the shore or as often in tubing at all angles then the whole lake or river can be unusable for a substancial amount of time.
    Even if your not tubing driving the "right" way when you or others are attempting watersports will keep everyone safe and happy. The right way includes not making a quick powerturn if someone falls down or off. A hand signal should be in place to communicate to the driver that the person is ok. That allows the driver to slow the boat down to no wake speed before turning around and going back to pick up the skier, which is much safer for all involved as well as better for the water.

When you are skiing/wakeboarding/tubing etc along the upwind side of a lake/river and you need to turn around, your turn should be first out away from shore then 180 degrees around and back onto the line you were coming down the waves on the outside of your line will travel out and a way from your ski line and the ones on the inside will basically implode and lessen thier effect. (You will also get a good double up for wakeboarding). Don't make big sweeping turns get it done and then get back in line.

More basic things, dont travel between 8-15 mph if at all possible (unless surfing), its loud and makes huge waves. If someone else has a skier dont travel in front of them making them lose thier line and don't travel behind them where you can run over the skier if they should fall unexpectedly. If there are multiple ski spots on a lake/river and someone else is already there move on to another location. If there is one spot share the water by alternating sets. Tubing doesnt require the calmest areas so give them up if someone is waiting.

Above all else if I have someone in the water stay the heck away from them, if I think someone doesn't notice I have a fallen skier in the water I dont follow any of the above advice the throttle goes down I spin her around and drive right at the offending driver full throttle then we have a problem.

I admit it, I take people tubing, in fact I worked 10 years at a summer camp and you just cant get through 30 kids an hour on waterskis with one boat so I probably have taken more people tubing than almost anyone in the world. I consider it a gateway drug to real watersports. If you want your kids in for a lifetime of watersports its going to take something that requires skill and can be improved upon on a regular basis. So suck em in with the tubing then get them up on a board or some skis.

Sorry for the long ramble hope its something you can use, in general be aware of whats around you follow the golden rule and I will never have to ram you with my boat..
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 5:30pm
See what happens when I type too much, everything is already covered...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Johnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 5:59pm

Maybe some of these other guys do, but as you'll come to see, the PLBC is all serious. There's no place for crazy costumes, jackass ski stunts, or excessive drinking in our organization.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 6:00pm

Tubing is a part of life and most likely every person on this board has either ridden or pulled a tube at one point in their life

Chris, Count me as one person who has never owned, pulled or ridden a tube! Growing up as a water skier from a early age and then continuing that tradition with my kids may have something to do with it. We all thought it was a no brain zero talent activity (I will not call it a sport) when it came out and still think the same. If the tubers all went around the lake in a circle like Joe said, it wouldn't screw it up for other people. However, the typical tuber is out there making crazy turns and figure 8's to intentionally make big wakes. It's this non courteous mind set of the tuber that gets me.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 6:28pm

Bwahahahaha, If you only knew... Come to Green Lake next summer and watch...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

bphillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bphillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 6:32pm

Moj'

I knew that the had to be some of my kind of people on here!

Where is Green Lake?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 6:41pm

Moj'

I knew that there had to be some of my kind of people on here!

Bill, Im sure you'll fit right in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic