NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 head question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 1:58am
Jim: thanks for the link.

I am always amazed at how easy you guys make some of this stuff seem.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 2:44am
JBEAR< It's called YOUTH............
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 2:47am
To bad they save youth for the young...I could make such better use of it now that I finally know what is goin' on.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 11:45am
As I have said before Youth is wasted on the young and wisdom on the Old..........
I assume you and the Mrs. enjoyed lots of blessings on Thursday,Karen and I were more blessed than we needed.........Good friends , good food and a warm place to lay my head. Bird Season is open, the dogs are eager to hunt and I need a vacation from this shop.............
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 1:58pm
I wished I lived a little closer Boat doc, I'd love to see your dogs hunt.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 3:12pm
Jbear
Do not feel bad I just learned how to post the links. I didn't know how for quite sometime.

Boat doc
I know how you feel deer season has been open since the 15th and I have only been out once. I am shooting for making it out a couple times this week. No pun intended.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 10:52pm
I'd like to see them too...dr I think you remember I had a Springer...did not hunt tho. But I would love to see a pic of your guys.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 1:56am
Originally posted by TRDon TRDon wrote:

cant just get them off of any mustang, has to be a 93-95 cobra or a 95-96 explorer (GT40P) Other mustangs had (for 87-93) the E7TE head which may be better for performance, but isnt worth the swap IMHO. If you have the tools and skill to port the E7s then it may be worth it. Ski dim sells the heads for an astronomical price, you can go on corral.net and get a set of used for under 500 shipped vs ski dim that have them for over 1 grand a piece

93-95 cobras had cast iron GT40 heads.

96.5- 02 IIRC explorers and the mercury version of the explorer that ahd 5.0 fords all had GT40 P heads, and those are a great choice for an inboard. I am looking for a set myself. and I will def go used, and have them rebuilt.

87-93 gt and lx 5.0s and 94-95 gt mustangs and GTS mustangs had E7TE heads.

If anyone want a set of 120,000 mile 87 E7TE heads I have a set, but I really dont think there is much of a gain to drop those ona 351W PCM 240hp motor. there would be some gain, but not as much as the GT40 or GT40P heads.

If you were to have the E7TE's "power ported" then they would be better than a stock set of iron GT40's.

for what DIM sells their GT40's for I am shocked.

and they are reg GT40's now, and not the P's.

Tristate has sets of rebuilt gt40ps for 700 dollras,a nd I think that isstill too much. I bet I can find a used set of p heads for 100-150 and have a valve job done, totalling under 500 dollars.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 3:00am
Try (clearwater cylinder head) they have about the best price around for P-heads I think they are around 400 bucks!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 3:16am
And I gotta say those p-heads from Clearwater work very well...right MM?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 2:16pm
I checked with Clearwater about 2 weeks ago. New are 260 ea and rebuilt are 175 ea. Shipping is 25 ea. 2 year warrantee on rebuilt and 3 year on new.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Tristate has sets of rebuilt gt40ps for 700 dollras,a nd I think that isstill too much. I bet I can find a used set of p heads for 100-150 and have a valve job done, totalling under 500 dollars.

Their price has gone up over the last year or so, but dont forget that they also install upgraded valvespings (good to .550 of lift), which is really a weak point on the stock P's if youre adding a cam. A good set will run you upwards of $130 plus install, so that brings the price right in line. I went the same route youre propsosing (bought used, had a VJ done) and if I were to do it again, I would go with Tristate. Just my 2 cents.

If youre not planning on upgrading valvesprings, go with Clearwater- I dont see another way to get a complete set of rebuilt heads for $400.

P's started being installed in Explorers in mid-97, I believe. Up to that point, 5.0 Explorers had GT40 heads, if my memory is correct.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Their price has gone up over the last year or so, but dont forget that they also install upgraded valvespings (good to .550 of lift), which is really a weak point on the stock P's if youre adding a cam. A good set will run you upwards of $130 plus install, so that brings the price right in line. I went the same route youre propsosing (bought used, had a VJ done) and if I were to do it again, I would go with Tristate. Just my 2 cents.

If youre not planning on upgrading valvesprings, go with Clearwater- I dont see another way to get a complete set of rebuilt heads for $400.

Tim, Not only has their price gone up but when I bought mine about 1 1/2 years ago they were new castings, they seem to only show rebuilt now.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 5:55pm
I talked to them too,they are rebuilt ones.He also said they had gone up and did not even know that there was a price on the web site.Anyway they are at 599 a set and 25ea for shipping.
When I talked to Clearwater they told me that the new castings are not done by Ford and they are now stronger in areas that needed it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 8:28pm
We put a set of the Clearwater rebuilt heads on "Jbears" boat last year along with an intake and it picked up 5MPH, it went from 45 to around 50+ MPH and thats without a cam, not bad!
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

We put a set of the Clearwater rebuilt heads on "Jbears" boat last year along with an intake and it picked up 5MPH, it went from 45 to around 50+ MPH and thats without a cam, not bad!

thanks for the "heads UP" on the heads ;)

I need a good place to geta set of P heads to pep my martinique up.

:)
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by TRDon TRDon wrote:

cant just get them off of any mustang, has to be a 93-95 cobra or a 95-96 explorer (GT40P) Other mustangs had (for 87-93) the E7TE head which may be better for performance, but isnt worth the swap IMHO. If you have the tools and skill to port the E7s then it may be worth it. Ski dim sells the heads for an astronomical price, you can go on corral.net and get a set of used for under 500 shipped vs ski dim that have them for over 1 grand a piece

Ok, I have come back to this thread becasue I acquired a set of used GT40P heads off of an explorer, and I got my performer intake for My b day in March, and now I will be installing these this weekend.

Pre 96 5.0 explorers until mid 1996 had normal GT40 iron heads. The 1996.5- 2001 explorers had the GT40P's. 87-93 e7Te mustang heads are a much better head than the stock heads on non gt40 351s. I have a complete 302 HO from an 87 5.0 mustang. But the gt40p heads are better than the e7te's in stock form. If you port a set of e7te's, you can get more power than with a set of stock gt40ps, or GT40's

The gt40P flows more than the gt40 iron head stock. The P heads are nice for boats since for car use, the headers either need to be replaced, or hammered in to fit. The plugs are in the wrong spot for auto use. Good news for us marine guys.:)

My P heads I got for 199 dollars, and had then 3 angle valve job, and head bolt holes enlarged to fit the 351w from the 302 it was on. They were also decked .60 to true them up, and had new brass plugs installed. With a full gasket kit for my pcm 351, it was 600 dollars total.

My p heads came off of an explorer that should not have had P heads, but iron gt40 heads. It was made a few months before they were supposed to have had P heads, which is why I got them for 200 dollars. The guy wanted iron gt40 heads form the early Explorer for use in a mustang, so it worked for me.

So, off I go to rip the old heads and intake off,and put the new upgrades on. I am certain I had a leaky intake manifold gasket/ seal. So hopefully this will cure my running issue that came up last year. And it wll give me a nice shot of HP as well:)

I bought a Mr gasket 1932 adapter to mount the holley 4160 to the edelbrock performer intake, so hopefully it fits.

I am guessing I will need a shorter flame arrestor, but that will be minor after I get all the rest of the top end done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic