NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2021222324>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I've never done a glass over foam. I've alway though of it as weak engineering.

I know Pete, and I can tell by the # of responses to my question how popular it is(LOL); but I think you'd be surprised with my results. It's done and the BFH bounced!

I just wiped the bilge down with acetone and am about to bilgekote it.

And awwhhh man, I hated drilling for the engine cradle...talk about sympathy pains?!!? Not to worry though, I soaked it in good with CPES and a syringe. It's still too bad though, if I had known exactly where to put them; I'd have glassed in some studs for the cradle.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 11:36pm
A little bit closer...

This looks like it fits through the doorway, but it doesn't. I had to angle it through the doors, and only 2 wheels swivel?!!? LOL

1988 BFN-sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 11:59pm
Greg
Looking great and I need a good picture of a cradle, thanks.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 8:54am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Greg

Roger.

Roger, If you build the cradle like Gregs and need to get it through doorways, measure the width of the door jambs!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 9:51am

Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Greg

Roger.

Roger, If you build the cradle like Gregs and need to get it through doorways, measure the width of the door jambs!!!

I think he means the engine cradle, but I did put that up for yall to get a good laugh...it's the measure once-cut twice meathod.
1988 BFN-sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 10:32am
Good one Peter

Thanks for the posts from you and Greg, I am board stupid stock taking.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 11:07am
Greg, You finally getting that motor out of the bedroom?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Greg, You finally getting that motor out of the bedroom?

Yea, it was making a low spot in the bed?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 2:05pm
Oh Happy Day! I put her back on her own 4 feet, and pulled her out in the driveway for a bath! Hopefully that will take care of 99% of the dreaded dust, and wow am I sick of bumping a wire under the dash and getting an itching powder shower.

I also sprayed out the piping and was amazed how much dust was still in there. That would not have been the way to begin a first ride?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 2:21pm
My sincere congratulations on a Job well done, hope you keep it forever.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 2:31pm
Thanks Joe, that means a lot coming from you!

The only thing is that I have a good bit to go before we find out if I put the intake on bacerds?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

hope you keep it forever.

Joe, I have a feeling that Greg's eye's were tearing when he moved that engine out of his bed!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 5:00pm

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

hope you keep it forever.

Joe, I have a feeling that Greg's eye's were tearing when he moved that engine out of his bed!!

Pumpkins need lots of sunlight!
1988 BFN-sold

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 6:47pm
Greg,
It looks awesome! Looking at those pics makes my day everytime I check out this thread...

Keep the pics coming!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 11:06pm
This is when she got her bath. This pic also shows some gel repair on the stern(grey only).

My other gel repair before any wetsanding.

Not too bad for 20 year old templates...and they're for sale!   LOL

1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 12:03am
Looking good Greg. Almost there!
Greg

86 BFN
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 12:27am
What can I say Greg that hasn't already been said? What a job...and what a pleasure following it thru your great pictures.

Hey cat...did you get my e-mail about the CG ski parts?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 12:32am
Greg, the carpet looks great! I love the white bilge too.
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 1:06am
greg,
looks awesome!

were did you get the carpet?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 7:11am
Thanks guys, and I wish you could see the stupid grin on my face!   

A couple of side notes...the plywood battery cover was just to keep me from falling in there, and the spot on the right in the last pic is sunlight through the window...thankfully not carpet glue.

The carpet came from Lowe's 2 or 3 years ago when I needed to redo the engine cover.

Edit, Looks like yesterday was 1 year for me on CCFan...seems appropriate.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 7:49am
Greg, Drop the engine in and get to GL. There's still time enough to do it!! Don't worry, we'll handle the engine break in. With all of the people that are going to be there, what better place could you be if you have any problems??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 8:05am

what better place could you be if you have any problems??

What, problems with a boat?!!?   LOL

We really wish we could make the trip, but it's just not in the cards this year. Besides, Billy told me about the cold water!
1988 BFN-sold

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 11:20am
Besides, Greg is hosting GL prt 2 at Lake Lanier...if the lake ever fills up. Right Greg,........Greg?............Uhh, Greg....LOL
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Besides, Greg is hosting GL prt 2 at Lake Lanier...if the lake ever fills up. Right Greg,........Greg?............Uhh, Greg....LOL

Tim, we're all in for that. The only thing I want to make sure of is that we don't step on Keith's toes in the process. We already have a few friends coming over next weekend, and anyone else close is welcome. If we really do a CCF get-together, we may want to set a date that gives everyone interested time to make plans. The flip side of that is the lake is going down daily?!!?

Start a thread if you like and lemme make sure the pumpkin starts. I'll also report back after I check the water depth in a few places.
1988 BFN-sold

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 3:00pm
I agree. I'd suggest maybe something after Labor weekend so that it's a little cooler and maybe a hurricane or two will brew up by then to top off the lake. That way the pumpkin would surely have a few hours on it and give the rest of the guys time to go if they wanted too. Yes, we don't want to step on Keith's toes. We wouldn't have to get as fancy as the GL. Shoot I'd be willing to throw a Buddy Pass to Keith if he really wanted to fly down to the ATL for the event and meet the southern half of his web kingdom.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 3:20pm
That suits me perfectly...I can't wait already!   
1988 BFN-sold

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

On my 71 nautique I did, I used the circular saw like 79 said.

I used said circular saw on my 78 martinique, set to a very shallow depth.

ok, I see this thread has a LOT of pages.

I actually read some of it, and looked at the pretty pictures for the majority of it.

When I re engineered my martinique, I ripped all the foam out, CPES'd the stringers, reinforced everything, and reinvented the interior of the tique.

I used 12 gallons of fiberglass resin, a whole lotta plywood (all resin coated all sides, and severly beefed up the floorboard and stringers. I put 250 man hours into it, and 1200 bucks witha lot of that going into glass, and vinyl that was purchased at cost. A friend of mine is an upholsterer.

And, no, I did not replace the foam, I left it out so that drainage and the innards of the hull can actually dry.

With all that wood, and foam elsewhere on the boat, I have no doubt that it will keep afloat even if something weird were to happen.
I have had like what 7 seasons of no hull issues since this redo.

See, now I gotta post pics....
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 8:16pm
hey Horkn,

Why don't we see you coming to the Green Lake Reunion??? No need for pics, lets see the masterpiece in person !!!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 1:10am
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

hey Horkn,

Why don't we see you coming to the Green Lake Reunion??? No need for pics, lets see the masterpiece in person !!!!

Moj'

ahhhh....
I just realized the GL reunion was coming up.

With me being as busy as I am with work, and my GF and I closing on and moving into our new house on July 25th, I just don't think we will have the time to get to GL. Plus I have to get the martinique nack to running after taking the entire top end off of the windsor.

Maybe next year....

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 1:27am
here is a pic, although it doesn't show much detail.

I have yet to do really anything to the hull. It needs a good buff at least.

But if you look carefully, you can see the detail in the vinyl work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2021222324>
  Share Topic