NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The year of the carb...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 11:32pm
Has anyone here actually replaced the carb on their 302 HM from the autolite to a new 4bbl or 2bbl marine? Replaced without changing cams or heads? If so, what were the results?

When I was discussing this with my brother he said, "you want MORE power in that thing?".
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Gary, have you given your cam specs to Alan to run in his desktop dyno? Im curious how good that Crane cam really is. The last guy that posted his set up with a Comp SBF grind didnt impress me... the specs looked similar to my Cam Research stick, but it was a good 30hp down... thats leaving a lot on the table. Also, any idea what your compression ratio is? Was your H-M originally a 210hp 2bbl or the 235hp 4bbl? Something doesnt add up since youre only running 45mph or so... even my bone stock 4bbl 302 Skier runs 46-47, and I consider that to be an underperformer!

In all honesty Tim, after I put the heads on,I didn't have much time to mess with it, too busy filling and wet sanding. Next up is new rub rail,original windshield,more filling and sanding!

Alan has the info,but as you know he's busy too. The new and old heads are within tenths of each other cc wise,but I neglected to check anything on the engine as to cr. I have flat top 30 overs and a 450 cfm Holley. I don't know how much a difference it makes, but 45 is with just me onboard.I want to advance the timing and check to make sure the secondaries are opening. The hole shot and midrange is much better and a prop change is next up. I would be very happy with 50,51 tho.It was originally the 210 hp
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 12:52pm
a few years back, in an old Mach one, (this is from memory) so please do correct me if im wrong. it had a 351 with 2v heads and being not so wise, i bought a 2v manifold and 4 barrel....it ran worse once installed...the heads couldnt take that much gas. I still have the old manifold up in my attic and need to take a look at it
"the things you own will start to own you"
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 11:33am
I believe I'm going to go with the 2 barrel on this one. Really it comes down to me wanting the easiest an most cost effective solution. If I do an engine upgrade it will be years down the road. And if I have enough money to upgrade then, I'll have enough to buy another carb. Perhaps make a couple hundred on the new 2 barrel. Or who knows, maybe I'll have another boat by then and need the 2 barrel

I appreciate everyone's help on this, I'm certainly not taking any sides or saying anyone is right or wrong. This solution I believe will fit me best.

Now that I know what I'm going to do, what should I be looking out for?

First there's the fuel line. Skidim has one for the 4 barrel but it looks like the fuel inlet on the carb is slightly different on the 2bbl than the 4bbl. Can I get an angled fitting so that I would be able to use the Skidim line? I really don't want to have to bend another line, that was a PITA.

Other than a gasket, and fuel line, can anyone think of anything else I might need for installation?

2bbl
Fuel Line

Thanks again everyone!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 12:12pm
I would think that you can tweek your current fuel line to get it to work, that is unless it's a little to short. Another option is a braided flexable hose with AN fittings on each end.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 3:14pm
I might go with the flexible line. That would be the easiest solution.

Do I definitely want the 500 CFM? They have a 300 as well. I assume my Autolite is 500 only because that's what everyone on this thread has been saying.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 3:28pm
Yes, the 2bbl Holman Moody came with a 500cfm carb. Thats why it was rated at a strong 210hp- the same as the 4bbl Interceptors. The 2bbl Interceptors used the smaller carbs, I believe- as they were rated at 165-190hp.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 11:27am
Ran across something interesting yesterday. I was looking at my HM manual and noticed the two engine options were a 302-4v and 351-4v. The v stands for venturi right? 4 barrel carb. Looks like the manual was published in the early 70's. I assume HM had the 3 barrel option before that?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 12:00pm
Im not quite certain what the V stands for, but yes- 4v indicates 4bbl. Im assuming your hand slipped off the 2... Ive never heard of a 3bbl!

I think youre correct- the only 2bbl H-M's Ive seen or heard about were from the mid 60's through '70. Everything newer than that was a 4bbl- the 302 being rated at 235hp and the 351 being rated at 290.

I dont think that H-M manual is on the site... would you care to scan it and share it with the rest of us?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Im not quite certain what the V stands for, but yes- 4v indicates 4bbl. Im assuming your hand slipped off the 2... Ive never heard of a 3bbl!

I think youre correct- the only 2bbl H-M's Ive seen or heard about were from the mid 60's through '70. Everything newer than that was a 4bbl- the 302 being rated at 235hp and the 351 being rated at 290.

I dont think that H-M manual is on the site... would you care to scan it and share it with the rest of us?

Yes, slip of the hand, only had 1 cup of coffee in me at that time.

I would love to scan the manual but I actually bought it so I assume it's copyrighted. Got it from

Marine Engine

Now that I look back at that site, there's another 302 manual, wonder if that's an earlier version like mine? I can't remember if I asked the guy when ordering which one was specific to my boat. That was a couple of years ago.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

I assume my Autolite is 500 only because that's what everyone on this thread has been saying.

Not me and I still have it here in my garage. It's float bowl is marked 1.14 which makes it a 300 cfm. It's definitely the original and the same as the picture you posted in the past David.Look on the float bowl under the push rod for the accelerator pump

Here is what I finally found-

This is the Autolite 2100
series two-barrel
carburetor. Look for throttle
bore size cast into the body
. The type of carburetor is determined by the venturi diameter size which is cast in the left-hand
(driver’s) side of the carburetor body beginning in the 1960 model year. What you can expect to
see are numbers like .98, 1.01, 1.02, 1.14, 1.23. This is the venturi diameter in inches. The higher
the number, the larger the venturi diameter in inches. The 221ci small-block was fitted with eight
possible 2100 types, all with .98-inch diameter venturis (190cfm ). The 260 and 289ci engines were
fitted with 2100 carburetors with 1.01 (245cfm ) and 1.02-inch (240cfm) diameter venturis,
depending upon application. Venturi size originally depended upon transmission, vehicle
application and original sales district. California emissions carburetors, for example, were jetted
differently. This was also true for vehicles delivered to high elevation areas like Denver. For 1964,
the 289 received a larger throttle bore 2100 with 1.14-inch (300cfm ) venturis. This gave the 289
improved low-end torque.

About the manuals,the parts manual has all models in it,only the owners manuals are seperated by size.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 2:29pm
Very interesting, Gary. I have an old email from Reid where he said they were 500cfm, but maybe we got our wires crossed. The carb cfm calculator Im using says that 300cfm wouldnt be enough air for a 302 spinning to 4400, even at a low 83% volumetric efficiency. I know the 210hp is legit, as the 2bbl H-M 'stang on our lake would outrun my Skier (220hp 4bbl Crusader) and our old '68 Mustang (210hp 4bbl Interceptor) back in the day. Something doesnt add up!
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 3:20pm
Back to square one.

I'll take a look when I get home tonight and see what's on there.
If it is 300 cfm. I assume I should stay 300?

If this is the case then the 450 cfm 4 barrel would have been closer than the 500 cfm 2 barrel huh?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 3:29pm
I believe Gary is missing one key point it's a H&M and not just a stock ford motor which he seems to be quoting from a ford manual.

Bottom line get the mubers off of the carb and know what you have and stop guessing what you have. It would be much easier if people would get the model numbers of the actuall part than asking what everyone thinks is on it.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 3:53pm
The tag says Autolite C9ZFG A949. That's the only info I have at work on it.

Guess I figured there were plenty of HM 302s out there that people would have changed out the carb on. I knew Gary had but he also upgraded more than I plan on.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I believe Gary is missing one key point it's a H&M and not just a stock ford motor which he seems to be quoting from a ford manual.

I would agree Chris,those numbers are out of a Ford manual but 1.14 is what is marked on the float bowl of my old HM carb. I don't think CC was popping out more cash for custom HM's. I understood that the HM conversion was nothing special.At Mr Meloon's River run talk he basically said they got their engines from different sources so they would not be interupted by strikes up until the PCM's came out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 5:48pm
Gary did you ever install your new fuel pump? Remember, way back when, I got mine and the vent tube was hitting the oil pressure sending unit? I still have not addressed it.

Curious if you ever did yours.

Old Post
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I would agree Chris,those numbers are out of a Ford manual but 1.14 is what is marked on the float bowl of my old HM carb.

Gary, any chance the float bowls are interchangeable on different sized Autolite carbs? I know they are on Holleys... the thing that determines the cfm is the size of the venturies, obviously.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 9:04pm
No David,I'm keeping it as a spare, I rebuilt my old one for now.

Tim here is a pic, the carb is more like an Edelbrock in that the top comes off and the bowl is cast as one with the venturies and base. You can see on the bowl the number cast into it. I thought it was a pretty cheap carb,but I see on some Ford sites,they were well thought of. When I changed over to the Holley it runs so much better particularly after sitting for a few days.One thing I just thought of, is mine started out as a 289 which was rated at 200 hp with the 2v,the 302 was 210 hp. I wonder what Davids is? Can you post the serial # off the bellhousing David? Then look at the carb's float bowl to see what size it is.Reid is probably right as the parts book dated 9/74 also a holley type carb,does not say Holley,but sure looks like one, they might have been changed for later models.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 1:04am
Here's the info.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 2:00am
Now that is confusing,a bigger engine,higher compression and a smaller carb not even listed! Must be a different listing for the 302's,but it must be less than 300 cfm. My opinion would be to go with the 4bbl 450cfm and manifold,you'll cruise around on the smaller 2bbl side and when you want to open it up the secondaries will kick in.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 10:14am
the carb cross references a 69 mustang 302 in the auto world from the quick search I did yeasterday.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 10:35am
for some reason i can remember 2v or 4v stamped on the heads somewhere, dont quote me cause in no way im a ford genius, but from what i remember the engine couldnt handle the 4 barrel, i blew black smoke when the secondaries opened, but nothing like experimenting
"the things you own will start to own you"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 11:29am
Eric i think the typical holley 'universal' carb is what gives them a bad rap, they belch black when romped on because thats the way they are set up, so no kid frags his pistons and blames Holley.

Yes, those windsor heads did have casting ID's 2/4V but I'm almost certain they were not the root cause of your experience.

I've used the performer/4V holley on a '68 302 with 2V heads, but found the 'universal jetting ' is just that; universally mediocre until corrected.
It appears only h-carbs wth very specific listings work well out-of-the-box.

I think either carb, if marine specific, will work in this application.

However, i suspect the 2V could have more precise throttle responce at 36 mph, because there is some lag in the vac seconday's responce, and the 450cfm's primary is likley past 70% open at those speeds.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 11:40am
My search is showing the 1.08 to be 287 CFM. And apparently, like Gary said, these Autolite carbs are highly thought of.

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 3:11pm
So sounds like the 2 barrel Holley 300 cfm might be the way to go.

How would you go about tuning in a carb to get optimal performance? Other than the initial adjustments.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 4:03pm
[QUOTE=vondy] So sounds like the 2 barrel Holley 300 cfm might be the way to go.
[QUOTE]

Not unless you like a slow boat.
Like tim sez, above 4000 rpm, you'll be making unneccesary manifold vacuum. While you would likely exceed 4000 or more rpm, it will be like having a restrictor plate on, and the power will go flat for no good reason.

I feel 300 is just too small.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 5:30pm
My carb now is rated at around 287 CFM. So I would want more than 300 CFM?

How about a poll from the experts, which I am obviously not.

2bbl - 300 cfm
2bbl - 500 cfm
4bbl - 450 cfm (with only intake upgrade)

Sorry if I'm running this into the ground. Everyone seems to have a different opinion and mine doesn't count because I don't know what I'm talking about. So I put my trust in the good people of CCF.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 10:28am
if you can acurately measure the carb, then we might be able to verify the research so far and be 100% right. But there is a possibility that the carb was changed at some point in it's life. What does HM state should have been on the motor? the 500 cfm? has anyone actually seen this in print form in a manual?

Seems like a very small carb for a high compression engine.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 11:25am
My manual only shows info for the 302-4v. It specs at 480 CFM.

Turns out the manual I have was published in 74. I'm wondering if marineengine.com sent me the wrong manual. I emailed them and asked if the 289 and 302 manual was for earlier engines than the 302 and 351 one that I have.

This manual also states it's a Holman Moody carb. Not and Autolite.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic