NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deposit on another 86

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2011 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Eric...is that by hand or with a DA sander? Looks great so far! Love the reverse gels, especially that blue. Probably my favorite 2001 color combo.

One other question...how do you manage to go around the decals, or do you just go right over them with the sanding?

I've only been doing the bottom blue section with wetsanding. Which I've been doing by hand. For this boat I'll be sticking with by hand. The next project I'll invest in one of those water enducing DA sanders to see how it works.

The plan for the stripe and upper blue is just a series of compounds and wax. They're pretty good. I'll leave the decals on and buff over them slowly. Hopefully they hold together.

I appreciate the compliments guys. Should be done sanding by end of next week with an after work session each day.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 4:16pm
Heres an update. Finished one side. Haven't glossed and waxed it yet but these pictures are with the finess-it. I got the whole other side to do before a final waxing of the boat.

Here are a few pictures of the side thats done and a few of the side that is being done next just for a good comparison of what it started as and where its at now. The lighting sucks because the boats in the shade and doesn't do justice to how bad the boat looked before or how nice it looks now. Im looking forward to seeing it on the water soon!

Tim- I know when i stopped by your house after purchasing the boat we talked about the deck being very chalky and whether it would require wetsanding or not.

Super duty compound has so far done a nice job of bringing it back. It wont look perfect or like it did in 86 or like it would if i sanded it but darn good for 25 years later.

"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 6:18pm
Eric,
Some don't appreciate the work it takes to bring old glass back to life but most here do. Keep up the good work!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 7:49pm
Thanks Pete, Its a lot less work than repainting or regeling!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 7:57pm
Looks awesome Eric, can't wait to see it at Green Lake in a few weeks
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 11:04pm
Very nice! BTW, how did you get it off of the trailer and onto the blocks like that?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 12:11am
In my dreams Chris!

Brian- lower the nose of the trailer to the ground. Block the rear at that point with the as$ as high as possible. Then bring the nose of the trailer up as high as possible. Block the nose and bring the trailer back down. Inch it out till you hit a crossbeam then lift the nose with a bottle jack and re block appropriately till it's out.

Pain in the butt but as you saw I needed a trailer to pick up that barracuda in ct
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 10:31am
Amazing work, Eric. All that sanding probably increased the value $2,000. Very nice shine going on there. I think you're going to make some money off this boat, my friend. Can't wait to see the final product. Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 10:38am
By the way, I might have missed the post, but did you run your boat around the lake? Any concerns with engine/transmission performance? Ken
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 10:43am
Thanks Ken, I hope youre right! You didn't miss the post about running the boat on the lake. This week will be the lake test. Engine fires right up on the hose but I still need to see how the trans does.

I remember us talking about you purchasing some gelcoat for your 86 but I cant remember did you purchase the blue or the grey gel?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 1:33am
Wow

Great effort. Looks great.

Donald
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 2:40pm
Awesome work. Looks great.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 10:01am
Update, with a few questions

Done wetsanding, boat came out great. I took the boat out yesterday and it ran exactly what it should, a little faster than I expected. With just me in the boat and a 1/4 tank of fuel I bounced it to 46.8 on iPhone gps speedometer. Consistently ran 46.

Here's what I have for questions. I have a weird rubber burning smell/puff of smoke when I open up the motorbox after going around the lake at any speed above 1500 Rpms. It has nothing to do with the belts, It appears to be predominantly coming from cylinder 8 area. I brough my infared temp gun out with me yesterday and the topside of the "header" part of the manifold is getting to about 330+ - a few degrees.

When I say top side of the "header", I'm shooting the laser temp gun down between the gap between the valve cover and the manifold at the part of the manifold before any water gets to it.

To me 330 doesn't seem like that much, but it seems to be 80-100 degrees hotter than any other part of the manifold at any other cylinder.

Is 330 enough to be melting the exhaust manifold gasket?

I do hear a slight tick on that side of the motor that I dint hear on the other side of the motor. But it's not loud enough that I'm definitively thinking manifold gasket.

Thanks guys
Eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 10:21am
Eric, I have the gray gel coat repair, not blue.

That's a great top end. I get close to 46 MPH (GPS) with about 100 hours on the motor and the ACME 540.

You'll have to give me some sanding guidance for my transom.

Ken
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 12:16pm
Check which spark plugs are in it, all of them. Some new owners on here have reported buying a boat with progressively hotter plugs toward the rear to burn the richer fuel mixture, seems hokey to me but something worth quicking checking.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 12:39pm
Eric, if youre getting some ticking and a hot spot on the thermometer, then I would bet you have a small exhaust leak. Get a new gasket on there and then recheck it.

Boat looks great, by the way!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Check which spark plugs are in it, all of them. Some new owners on here have reported buying a boat with progressively hotter plugs toward the rear to burn the richer fuel mixture, seems hokey to me but something worth quicking checking.

HW- All new champion 401s in there. Had the NGK equivalent in there before and was doing the same thing.

Tim- I'll get my PB blaster ready and swap the gasket.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Yup, the PO of my boat had done that. I think he was trying to deal with a carb that was leaking fuel through the booster and therefore running too rich. I replaced with the normal plugs and then had the carb rebuilt.

Sounds like a different problem here though.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 5:20pm
Tighten the manifolds bolts back there and go wakeboarding already, you wont hear or smell it from the end of the rope.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 3:06am
So if anyone's interested in the boat I am taking offers. I'm on vacation down in south Carolina and there is a guy making me an offer. If anyone's interested, nows your chance.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 2:32pm
Eric, post it in the For Sale section. You will probably get the interest of a CCFan there.

Ken
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 3:35pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 3:36pm
Here are more pictures of the boat down here in SC while we are on vacation. Boats running great!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:13pm
Looks awesome Eric! Now just cut and paste a bikini clad model in the driver's seat instead, and you'll have no problem selling it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:26pm
That last photo is really nice. In my opinion, she looks worth more than what you paid. I'm guessing based on the photos low six range for a quick sale. Tough to say without seeing the interior in detail. The reverse gel will appeal to many folks.

Enjoy your vacation, Eric. I'd enjoy the 2001 the rest of the summer if I were you.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Looks awesome Eric! Now just cut and paste a bikini clad model in the driver's seat instead, and you'll have no problem selling it

I'll get my co-pilot up on the bow and take some pictures of her
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 1:47am
Glad this worked out for you Eric. I had been kind of toying with the idea of upsizing to a 2001 and really like the looks of your boat, but now just isnt the right time, so I have to pass, but it sure is tempting, its a good looking boat.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 1:52am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Glad this worked out for you Eric. I had been kind of toying with the idea of upsizing to a 2001 and really like the looks of your boat, but now just isnt the right time, so I have to pass, but it sure is tempting, its a good looking boat.

Larry- I'll be on the hunt for another one if this guy buys the current 86 and hopefully if it's the right time we can get you into a 2001!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 2:28am
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

Larry- I'll be on the hunt for another one if this guy buys the current 86 and hopefully if it's the right time we can get you into a 2001!

Sounds like a plan, but keep in mind, it has to be a reverse gel or an 86 silver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 2:39am
With standards of tge caliber i hope youre willing to compensate me for travel expenses
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic