Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Banana George's Barefoot Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
Spoffie1962 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 11:38am
This is the photo JoAnne Blair sent me
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 11:49am
Tom, Very cool that JoAnne is still responsive to fans, tho too bad that George is in such decline. He was such a motivation to "Never Give In" Great to have that picture. I was fearful she might not have much recollection of the difference between I and II, and send you II. But I see she got you the correct boat. Nice conversation piece for your wall or desk.

Greg, Have you had any more communications with John about White Lake. I am a little fearful that with the "winter that wouldn't end" the likely cool water might make someone less inclined to come out.

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 12:00pm
Oh that boat has that TOP that you guys love so much.

Keep it orginal.

Donald
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 12:28pm
That style "bimini" would be perfect for our 91 BFN - LOVE IT!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 12:39pm
You know, The minute I saw the photo, I thought the same thing about the top. Funny thing is, I have not yet checked the top that's presently on it to see if it's a re-skin of the original frame,or just an Overton's catalog bimini. Now I'm dying to know! The boat is currently getting stringers in TN, so next time i'm there I'll have to check.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 12:42pm
I guess you couldn't toss that top in the lake... But I sure wouldn't allow it any closer to the boat than the back of my closet, were it mine. Original or not, it's hideous.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 12:49pm
How can you say that. They are beautiful. My only regret since getting into Correct Crafts is giving ours away.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I guess you couldn't toss that top in the lake... But I sure wouldn't allow it any closer to the boat than the back of my closet, were it mine. Original or not, it's hideous.

Awwww C'mon now Timmy... I kinda like it for it's uniqueness. Besides, I said the same thing about Orange CC's but now I'd actually own one so when Mars gets tired of his 72 Promo. I'll be glad to take it off his hands.

Tom that's awesome that you heard from Mrs. Blair. Great CC history is coming out of the woodwork around here lately so that's cool in itself. Sad to hear BG isn't doing so well these days.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 1:08pm
You're not going to convince me on this one... They just ruin the lines of the boat with their round hump shape. Very unflattering. I feel the same way about the luggage raks they were putting on corvettes in the mid 70's. Yuck!

Keep it around if you like, for nastalgia sake, but they don't belong anywhere near these boats. They're about the only period correct/original thing I've come across that I just can't appreciate.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 1:15pm
You'll come around. It took me about 30 years. Same goes for orange boats, I wasn't too crazy about them for a long time, especially with bright yellow interiors and huge black letters on the side, but they look pretty cool now.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

How can you say that. They are beautiful. My only regret since getting into Correct Crafts is giving ours away.

Ok - tell me how they attach -   Looks like snaps on the windshield frame (which I am not a big fan of) but how does the aft section attach - Snaps too?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 1:25pm
The top on the 60's boat is a little different than the BFN, but there are snaps on the windshield which snap into place. They don't need to be screwed into the windshield. The top opens up and has a strap that attaches to a hook screwed into the deck. Somewhere, there's a a great picture of Reid's 68 Mustang with the top up.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 1:47pm
I really think it's a age thing I like the look of the tops too and would put one on in a second. But then Hollywood reminded me that now with my console and a top up it would be next to impossible to get into the seats.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 1:48pm
Is this the picture Bruce?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 2:05pm
Gary, that's the picture. Hollywood might have trouble climbing around in a little boat, but I bet you wouldn't.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 2:31pm
Another

This is the life
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 2:45pm
Great picture. Sad as it may be now that he's in his 90's, but he's had heck of a life!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 3:01pm
He just turned 98 on 1-22
This is the life
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 5:39pm
What a great thread! I actually like that bimini on the BBBBII, it has a good low, sleek look to it. The only part I don't like is the rear tail pieces. Those would look better if they were gone.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 5:56pm
Go George Go! I remember standing in line to get his signature in the 80's at a pro ski event in Dallas. He was sitting at a desk signing photos. (I lost the photo along the way somewhere: ). Somebody in line in front of me asked George, "Are you going to ski for us today, George?" He looked up at the guy and asked, "Do you want me to?" We all cheered, "YES!" He smiled and said he would do his best. He put on a great show for us that day. What a great man and great ambassador for water skiing.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 6:05pm
It's not a bimini Bret,I think they are called Navy tops but I'm not sure.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Those would look better if they were gone.

Nope. They are part of the charm. Right, Bruce? (I know I've got at least one ally in this battle)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 6:47pm
that yellow top is so bright it looks almost photoshopped

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Spoffie1962 Spoffie1962 wrote:

This is the photo JoAnne Blair sent me

I like this one with the exhaust steaming

And I like the top it would really give good shade with it low like that and its more speed friendly/aerodynamic than a bimini
This is the life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2013 at 10:58pm
Love it or hate it, I think the top has a certain 'Century Corronado' feel to it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 12:04am
Well guys, help me out on this one. When I first opened the picture JoAnne sent to me, I was really, really hoping the interior wasn't brown. Oh well. The brown/yellow combination makes me think "Bruised Banana Boat". So now the 'keep it 100% original vs. do what I like' struggle rears it's ugly head once again. Anyone know of a nice brown vinyl that would look good?
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 12:18am
Tom,

Great thread and lots of nostalgia. The picture of Banana George at the helm is in my BBBB#2, and it looks much the same today. Nice contact with Mrs. Blair, and she is doing very well considering how old she could be!!

Tim, The convertible top shape on the '86 is the classic look of the 80's and was the style before biminis, computers and cell phones were really in vogue. One of the few styles that have endured for all those years is Hollywood's hair. But back then they had a different name, same look.

Tom, Did you see the period correct CC trailer in the Boat Parts for Sale section on this site. Look under #4-DV Trailer for sale. It's in Birmingham, Al. I posted a question to you on March 22. Mike Muir is selling it and was asking ~$700. Air 206 (Steve Karras) has an interest in your Prestige Tandem Axle. However, he has just rebuilt a trailer for his boat, so his interest may be declining. Anyway, take a look and contact Steve if you want to move up to a great looking #4-DV with a known buyer for you current trailer.

Really pleased you are getting the stringers done by an expert. This will be the foundation for any other restoration work. Let me know where in TN, and what the rebuild details are. Sounds great!!

Thanks, Todd

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 12:43am
what color would you like to make the interior?
This is the life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 12:49am
Todd,
I didn't see the #4 trailer for sale, I'll look as soon as I'm done typing this reply! Thanks! The stringers are being done by a fellow who put in 10 years at CC, then 20 yrs at Master Craft. He currently owns his own small boat manufacturing company, making hulls for the Towee fishing boat company. Having people do work for me is a strange concept to wrap my mind around, but in this case I have neither the room nor the time to do this job. And you're right, it's being done by an expert. Life has been extremely busy lately, so I really hope I can at least get the mechanicals done in time for summer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 12:57am
GlassSeeker,
Something in a lighter shade. I like the BBBB2 light yellow/ brown stripe motif, and white with a brown or yellow stripe might look good too. I guess I really need to sit down with a bunch of vinyl sample books in front of me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic