NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High End Performance

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 1:53pm
Oh ok. I can't even get anything over 4200, but it will hold there.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 1:56pm
Uhm, how bout this...
A perferated secondary diaphram could at first actuate, but then may slowly bleed down and close on its own.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 2:03pm
Sounds like we're going to verify the workings of the check valve by the tank. Advance the timing two degrees. Remove the secondary cover and re-tweek the float. Sounds like a Holley adjustment tool set will help here.

I should have unscrewed the gas cap to see if there's an air restriction. I'll double check the air vent screen.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Uhm, how bout this...
A perferated secondary diaphram could at first actuate, but then may slowly bleed down and close on its own.

In that case, would this arm come back down? It stays engaged as long as you stay at WOT, even after the RPM's decrease.

Ken, it doesnt sound like a float adjustment tool would be helpful. We'll raise it in the rear a bit more, and if that doesnt solve it, we'll raise the front as well and see the effect.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 2:10pm
Tim, does the primary have an external adjustment knob or screw? Brad said something about a primary adjustment. Brad's buddy said something about the primary being out of adjustment can effect the workings of the secondary. Can we confirm this?

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Tim, does the primary have an external adjustment knob or screw? Brad said something about a primary adjustment. Brad's buddy said something about the primary being out of adjustment can effect the workings of the secondary. Can we confirm this?

Ken

Nope, no external adjustment on primaries or secondaries. Chris said that primaries can affect the secondaries as well- so if raising the rear float a bit more doesnt get rid of the problem, we'll raise the front float as well. We'll need a few more tools to get the fuel line off though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 2:17pm
In playing the video back, sounds like we hit 4,800 at 10 seconds and started dropping to 4,200 at 15 seconds. So it takes approximately five seconds for the gas to be sucked out to effect the RPM's. So are we saying the primary bowl is working overtime to keep the secondary bowl filled?

Ken
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 2:26pm
1" and 5/8" line wrenches are what's needed for the front, plus a socket to remove the bowl.

Tim I would leave the secondary float alone and raise the front first if the timing doesn't help, set it at 10 not 8 that's where it needs to be anyway. The more timing the better any desent mechanic will tell you the same thing.

It's going to be sucking just as much gas out of the primaries as it is the secondaries so if the primary bowl isn't full then there is no way in hell the secondary bowl is going to be full either and raising the float more will not make any change what so ever.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 2:32pm
Excellent input, Chris, thank you. Sounds like you've worked on Holley carburetors before? Are you self-tought or did you take engine courses?

Ken
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 2:35pm
This might sound kinda dumb but have you cleaned the screen filter at the inlet of the carb? In fact, I even cut that filter right out of my 4160. You already have the fuel filter to keep the gas clean. That inlet filter is very fine and could be restricting flow even if it's a tiny bit dirty. Just a thought.

Something about the float is not making a lot of sense. Granted the float must be set at the proper height for starters. My concern is something that Chris started to touch on earlier. There is a tube connecting the primary and the secondary bowls in the 4160. If the secondary is emptying faster than it can fill, it will be taking fuel from the primary bowl through that tube wouldn't it? The fuel pump should be filling those bowls more than fast enough to prevent this. That makes me think that the flow into the carb is being restricted (like the inlet filter). It's getting enough fuel to run it at 4800 until the floats drop and then the fuel pump can only keep enough gas in the bowls to run it at 4200.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

1" and 5/8" line wrenches are what's needed for the front, plus a socket to remove the bowl.

Tim I would leave the secondary float alone and raise the front first if the timing doesn't help, set it at 10 not 8 that's where it needs to be anyway. The more timing the better any desent mechanic will tell you the same thing.

It's going to be sucking just as much gas out of the primaries as it is the secondaries so if the primary bowl isn't full then there is no way in hell the secondary bowl is going to be full either and raising the float more will not make any change what so ever.

I may invest in that 5/8" line wrench- I think the only one I have is at the lake.

I hear you about the timing, and I agree- but I dont think it has anything to do with this problem. I guess advancing it wont hurt anything though.

If you think adjusting the float on the primaries should be the next thing to try, Im all for it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

This might sound kinda dumb but have you cleaned the screen filter at the inlet of the carb? In fact, I even cut that filter right out of my 4160. You already have the fuel filter to keep the gas clean. That inlet filter is very fine and could be restricting flow even if it's a tiny bit dirty. Just a thought.

Something about the float is not making a lot of sense. Granted the float must be set at the proper height for starters. My concern is something that Chris started to touch on earlier. There is a tube connecting the primary and the secondary bowls in the 4160. If the secondary is emptying faster than it can fill, it will be taking fuel from the primary bowl through that tube wouldn't it? The fuel pump should be filling those bowls more than fast enough to prevent this. That makes me think that the flow into the carb is being restricted (like the inlet filter). It's getting enough fuel to run it at 4800 until the floats drop and then the fuel pump can only keep enough gas in the bowls to run it at 4200.

Thats not dumb at all- I didnt think of checking that screen. Another good thing to look at.

Im with you on the flow restriction. Our initial assumption was that it was a set-up problem since the carb is only a year old, was never water tested by NECC upon installation, and never ran strong from day one. It could very well be something restricting the flow to or from the fuel pump though.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 2:44pm
Dammmit, Chris, you beat to it with the fron the float adjustment.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 3:12pm
Sounds logical to work both ends of the carburetor. Just to remind everyone, this carburetor was installed on the rebuild engine July of 2005. It has 23 hours of use on it. I'm comfortable that it's in great shape, but good point on checking the fuel flow through the screen. You never know what the tank will burp up, especially with that corn on the cob fuel mixture.

That little tube that connects the primary to the secondary is clear of turds. I know Tim was looking through it last night. I'm amazed how something minor out of wack can lose 6 MPH. That's about 13% of performance out the window.

Ken
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 3:21pm
just checking into this thread- I guess I missed some good discussion.
Fact is- was nice to get together with these guys and help one another out. Tim- helluva job last night buddy.We saw some nice results from that secondary adjustment.

Thanks everyone for all the tips. This site is a great resource for this very reason.

Ken- it's your boat and your call. I'd suggest pulling the fuel filter and screen to see if they're junked up. If not- put em back. If so, replace em. We'll adjust the primary and see if that solves it. While we're at it, we'll bump the timing up a little.
As for the oil- I'd recommend draining a quart out of it before you run it.
-Brad
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 3:34pm
Hey Brad,

Thanks for your assistance last night. I'm up for any ideas. The fuel filter isn't difficult to get to, a tad messy though. I have no problem checking the basics before we tear into the primary.

I'm going to Auto Zone to pick up some fresh oil and a Mobil 1 filter. I'll start by filling it with 4 quarts, then check the level. Tim refreshed me on the thread about the oil capacity. Man, what a debate that was.

Love that video camera. What website did you purchase it on?

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 3:34pm
again i really don't think it's a fuel restriction at the tank or one of the filters if it was it would not happen only on the very top end and would start to effect the performance at around 3000 rpm and up.

I say do the timing first beacuse it's not going to hurt to start with and sencondly it's a whole hella lot faster and easier to change than pulling one of the bowls off.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 3:38pm

Love that video camera. What website did you purchase it on?

Ken

Ken- I got it from Adorama.com- they have pretty good prices and are a reputable operation.
btw- that was the Sony DCRSR62- so far, I highly recommend it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 3:57pm
Ok I stand corrected

Called the expert (DAD) and got set straight.
(certified ASE Master Technician for over fourty years.)

Don't d*ck with the timing or the float, look for a clogged screen at the tank, one of the fuel filters being dirty and needing replaced or the fuel line sucking air somewhere maybe even the early stages of the fuel pump going out.

So I guess tighten the hose clamps at the tank and pump, inspect the fuel line for cracks, kinks and replace all the filters or at least that the f/w seperator is thight.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 4:11pm
Vince at SKIDIM suggests getting a reading on the fuel pressure from the pump. Any idea where to get a device to do this???

Ken
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 4:16pm
Ken, How about using a pressure gauge Tee'd into the line.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 4:21pm
I was just looking at those online. I also found this at NAPA. Is this what I'm looking for? Pressure Tester

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 4:22pm
about any autoparts store will sell a pressure/vaccum gauge for about 10 bucks, It should come with a rubber fitting that you can just slip over the end of the fuel line no need to tee into the line. Just disconnect the fuel line at the carb and push the rubber fitting of the steel line, disconnect the coil wire and crank for thirty seconds and you'll have your ready you need. Ken did you see my other post after I talked to my dad?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 4:24pm
ken that's basicly it but it's missing the rubber connecton that slides over the end of the fuel line.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 4:28pm
Yes, Chris, I saw your post. Thanks. I think we have a lot more to inspect prior to removing any more carburetor parts. We'll have a checklist in place, plus I think the fuel pressure gauge is necessary at this point. You said it's missing a piece? Do I need to special order that connection? I'm trying to find an auto store I can drive to versus order on the internet.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 4:38pm

I think we have a lot more to inspect prior to removing any more carburetor parts. We'll have a checklist in place, plus I think the fuel pressure gauge is necessary at this point.

I think thats a good course of action. Verify all your lines, filters and vents are clear and tight between your pump and tank. Then we can move on to the line between the pump and carb, checking the screen as well as the pressure (5 lbs). If that checks out, we'll move back to the float levels, raising the front first.

No need to change the timing until we get this all squared away, but we can advance it to about 10 degrees as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 4:40pm
I'll up load a picture of what you need I got mine at autozone I think and it came with the fitting you need to make it quick and easy to check. I would check the other stuff I listed first before worring about the fuel pressure, that would be the last thing to check. I would even change the fuel line from the tank to the pump before checking the fuel pressure anyway odds are it's orginal and needs replaced anyway.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I would check the other stuff I listed first before worring about the fuel pressure, that would be the last thing to check.

Agreed. If we dont find anything obviously wrong with the lines between the pump and tank, it wouldnt be a bad idea to verify the pump is still good.

Ken, did you check your receipts to see if the pump was replaced when you had the new engine put in?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 4:43pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 4:44pm
I might have found it:

Fuel Pressure Gauge. If you confirm that this is the one, I'll buy one tomorrow.

We're looking for 5 Lbs of pressure?

Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic