NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

!!!Project 80 Ski!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 3:01am
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

Marine, Wawasee? Dewart? Syracuse?

none of those lakes are in North Webster, and I have never heard of a Marine lake anywhere in IN.

so the right answers would be webster or backwater lakes as they are the only ones in town, the barbie chain is south, tippy is south east, dewart is further east than tippy, and wawasee and syracuse are in another town.
MarineSRT8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 3:44am
Thank all of you for all of the knowledge, however blunt some of the comments may be keep them coming. I will make sure to keep all of them in mind throughout my entire project.

And I guess if we are getting technical its Lake Tippy. close enough!!!
"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 4:41am
SRT8...I like the boat, and what your getting into, its going to be fun and very rewarding. That Intake looks like a proformer, max RPM is around 5500, and I dont think that gear drive is the right set up for a marine motor, not only is it going to be very noisy but it will also create harmonics which is not a good thing for a boat! but with all that being said if you can get the HP up to about 400hp you should have a 60mph boat.. and then you will able keep up with me...keep the pics coming!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 5:16am
lol thanks for the support Marx!!! I hope to get a few more MPH but I guess only time will tell!!!
"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 2:12pm
Mark, just as Lisa thought she originally saw a Performer in you and in reality was looking at an air gap, so have you. Based off Marine's part no, he's got an AirGap Performer RPM which works right on up to 6500, so I'd say he's good.

Marine, I hope my comments don't come across as overly blunt. Sarcastic sometimes, but hopefully never demeaning. As for speed in that vintage hull, on average 300hp is typically good for a little better than 50, 350hp will probably net you 55-57, and I'd bet 400 will get you that 60 and maybe a few more, but that's just my good educated guess, as I'm accustomed to running a smaller hull where 300-325'll get you 53-56. Still working on the 60 mph goal.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 3:59pm
400 is definately my goal but once again only time will tell and I am planning on taking leave next summer to attend the reunion so you will all get to see it, ride in it, and drive it!!!

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 4:36pm
racintj, thanks for the info on the clearances just called my machine shop today and he has done marine applications before and he is taking care of it right now

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 5:25pm
And don't for get about upgrading the dash as the stock tach only goes to 6k, but the exhaust sounds pretty cool spinning the motor that fast.

MY .02 give Eric a call and see what he suggest on the tranny set-up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 7:43pm
Oh Ive got the dash well in hand with a full set of Auto Meter Ultra-Lite Silver on Silver Marine series gauges

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 11:21pm
That many rpms on that length of hull should make it porpoise.
Tim D
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

That many rpms on that length of hull should make it porpoise.

Tim, I wasn't sure if you were saying that's good or bad, but for the sake of speed with this boat, hopefully it does porpoise, or at least have the tendancy to bounce and keep the bow high. A boat that keeps the nose high and tends to porpoise is a fast hull and can be corrected to minimize bounce, but a hull that buries the nose is limited and a handful. Depending on the amount of hook in the hull, esp in boats like TimD's and my first gen Mustang hulls, the faster they go the more they plant the bow and can get uncomfortable/unpredictable at high speeds for which they weren't designed to go. I've addressed the hook slightly on my 69 Mustang which is the only reason it would run slightly faster than BoatDr's boat which has more HP. Oh, and he had those trim tabs turned down, I guess 'cause Karen was in the boat. I'd bounce Laurie onto the bank for a half mph.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 12:30am
Reid, is there a term for planting the bow?
Tim D
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 12:36am
Reid, tho i have not had the time to devote to the all out speed, I to am slowly tweeking.
The 27A rudder was a major plus ,no more pull or drift at the 50 mark. Cutting the prop shaft was a plus also.
The rudder port mod. was a little less drag too.Have not GPS'd her since the latest mods but she seems stronger and much more controlable.
SRT8 don't wont nuttin' to do with a 60mph CC,mine is a handful at 53+ add 7 to that ,not...........boat dr
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 1:06am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Reid, tho i have not had the time to devote to the all out speed, I to am slowly tweeking.
The 27A rudder was a major plus ,no more pull or drift at the 50 mark. Cutting the prop shaft was a plus also.
The rudder port mod. was a little less drag too.Have not GPS'd her since the latest mods but she seems stronger and much more controlable.
SRT8 don't wont nuttin' to do with a 60mph CC,mine is a handful at 53+ add 7 to that ,not...........boat dr

Billy, Srt8 's boat is a good bit longer and quite a bit heavier. 60 in your little rig would be hairy ride but if you could get the bigger nautique to run 60 it might be a thrill but I would think managable. I think 60 is a little bit of a stretch but it'll be fun for everyone to see the progression from what he's got now. Plenty of pics please.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 5:32am
More pictures to come later on this week. I will get all of my new parts from DIM, I get my block back at the end of the week, and I get my motor mounts back sandblasted and ready to be painted...Will probably get the crank shaft and pistons back in this weekend and check all of my clearances. Pictures will follow!!!

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Reid, is there a term for planting the bow?

I believe it's referred to as S.I.P., aka Shi* in Pants. No wait, that's when you hook the chine at high speed or upon quick decelleration and it either turns without you asking, OR refuses to turn when you crank the wheel. Both are scarey and traced also to rudder conditions.

As far as the planting the nose of the hull firmly, I don't know of a term as many normal people might look at this as a virtue. Only when stretching it out beside his buddy's oscillating hull and getting outrun does it become an issue. A quick (as I can make it) related story, my orange and white '73 Mustang has always run pretty strong (50-51)for a stock boat. Years ago I noticed that often it would get up to top speed for just a second, and then all of a sudden fall off about 1 mph and drop 100rpm. I chased what I thought was an engine problem for 2-3 yrs before I realized that it only did this once the slight bounce stopped, and that it never happened with several persons in the back seat. It's like you can actually feel the point or moment when the water sucks the hull back tightly to the water, significantly increasing the drag. Later hulls which hardly raise the bow while planning don't experience this.           
ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 11:38am
Originally posted by MarineSRT8 MarineSRT8 wrote:

400 is definately my goal but once again only time will tell and I am planning on taking leave next summer to attend the reunion so you will all get to see it, ride in it, and drive it!!!

Marine, Solid plan. Reunion time just head on up to Charlotte and hook up with our caravan. This past year we left here along with MaddMarx and a total of 5 boats in our group. Next year however Blondie, we only pee when we're on "E".    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 6:18pm
COUNT ME IN!!!!!

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 6:51pm
I was going to guess webster SRT since you said barts base. Im over on chapman. Id like to check out that bad ass motor after you get her done to see how it worked later on i plan on heads cam and intake for my 2001. Oh im also a mopar guy so we could own all the boats on the lake then take it to the streets.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 8:51pm
Oh thats a sure thing!!!...400hp on the water and 425hp and 420 Ft lbs on the street, Cant beat that! ! ! ! !

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 1:18am
Marine, whenever you want to come South and run that SRT against an SUV with real muscle, just let me know.
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 4:49am
Real Muscle???...SUV???....come now, Im listening...........

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 5:06am
Trailblazer SS, 2wd

Lakeland, FL
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 5:09am
I messin' with ya. I don't have one, but am looking at a couple. Can't decide whether to buy stock and build myself, or buy one I'm looking at with a Tune and Maggie charger. Friend of mine (actually 2) has SRT8's. Nice truck and quick too.

Lakeland, FL
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 4:23pm
Just get the srt-8 jeep man. There was one with an intake at our local track and I watched it run a 13.22

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 5:00pm
The SS is attractive but looks a little on the cheap side for a "Super Sport"....I agree with phat the Jeep is a way better spend of your money. Im not exactly sure what the SS goes for but when I bought my 300C SRT the Jeep was going for about 4 G's less and I spent a hair less than 50,000

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 5:30pm
I thought you had the Jeep. My bad, that's what I get for assuming. I agree it could look better, but I am a chevy nut. The LS2 is just an awesome powerplant that the sky is the limit. We better not get off on an auto tangent, we may get linched by the CC forum.

Lakeland, FL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 7:52pm
lol We'll have to start our own off-topic discussion....Heres a few more to get everyone through the rest of the week on....

Just got the motor mounts, tranny mounts, and the bell housing back from the machine shop....the magic of glass blasting!!!

Gonna go ahead and prime and paint the mounts this weekend.

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 12:33am
Originally posted by racintj racintj wrote:

I thought you had the Jeep. My bad, that's what I get for assuming. I agree it could look better, but I am a chevy nut. The LS2 is just an awesome powerplant that the sky is the limit. We better not get off on an auto tangent, we may get linched by the CC forum.

I'm probably gonna regret this later Racintj, but Josh, CCFan name Sabre002, our in house engine nut and who went to GL with us, has just completed his LS1-RX7 transplant to go along with his V8 MGBGT conversion. Several here have met Josh, so you guys will have to hook up, but do it on the LS1 forum, as real men CCFan members don't wear Bowties, and you WILL get linched. And Hollywood, Josh never even heard that you had a Camaro, and I thank God for that. There, I condoned a GM unity.            
ReidP
1973 Mustang

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 12:47am
Reid...This ones for you!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic