NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water behind a stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 16>
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 6:53pm
This weekend I got the new battery box figured out, built, and installed.

I will be drilling a hole in the side of the tube to run the battery cables to the engine.

I also installed my coupler, the fuel tank supports, and the back half of the exhaust.

The pylon will now sit straight but is not mounted yet. I enlarged my bilge output hole as the new thru hull I got is a bit bigger than the one that was in there. I made and drilled out backing plates for the trans mounts. The plates and trunions are going in to be powder coated tomorrow. I will be getting my plywood this week and get that fit and epoxied.
My list is getting shorter and shorter. i am hoping to be done by the first week of Feb so I can go on vaca and not come back to it.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 7:54pm
one bit of advice if needed, put a little positive in the floor boards so the water drains into the engine compartment, everyone hates puddles......an accommendation should be awarded when you are done for the nice clean work
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 7:59pm
one more thing worth noting that most dont know, PVC for the cables so they dont short, which you are aware of I see
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 8:03pm
Mike if you wonder if im following you, im not, the kids have been playing guitar hero since 10:00 am and im in view with the TV, its cold and wet out and a good day to babble
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 8:44pm
OK, so I am not paranoid after all.

I had attempted to have the secondaries slightly higher so it would drain to the bilge. I am level, not raised after fixing them in. How would you give the lift on the outboard part of the floor at this point? I did not know about the electrical part of the PVC. I really just did it for ease of running stuff through there.
Zman was over today for a progress check, and plans to announce to my wife that I should install a heater in there for her. Whilst not original, nor period correct, I think it is a really good idea. If for no other reason, it would be at least as convincing as a bottle of wine for those midnight "rides" in the Ponyboat.

Which Guitar Hero ? I have #1 in my shop for when I need a break from the eopxy and whatnot. I do find that my game goes downhill as my beer count goes up. I love that game!

M
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 8:47pm
And thank you for the compliment. I appreciate that a lot !! Sometimes I am not so sure of what I am doing. I cannot wait to do my 68 SN.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 9:56pm
What's that white stuff running along where the outers meets the floor? I epoxied mine in, then put matting down along the seam, but it's not as smooth as yours.

How far back are you going to run the floor. I have a 2"x"2 that supports the rear seat and ran mine back to that like original, but am now wondering if I should have ran it back further.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 1:50am
I glued the secondaries with peanut butter into the old channels that I left in place. The I ran a fat fillet of the peanut butter down the length on both sides.
I am running the floor back to the base of the raised parts of the stringers. I do not have a framed in back seat. I just have a thick pad that sits on the floor. Then the seat back snaps to the top of the rear deck.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 10:35am
thats funny with the guitar hero, after 4 or 5 beers yesterday i tried it.....forget it,I was almost to the second level BB, (before beers)
the cops should carry one to test for DUI's

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 12:47pm
Nice work wake. I can certainly lear on keeping a tidy outfit. I tend to be more liberial with materials and plane, grind etc to the shape i need. Duly impressed and motivated to bring my 2001 project to this level.
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 2:57pm
Great job. Keep posting photos. They're a great guide to the rest of us.

The fiberglass work in your boat looks neater and more refined than in mine. Must be an indication of Correct Craft's improvement working with glass during those years.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 6:48pm
I have had a lot of help from the people here!! Lots of advice, and support. All is greatly appreciated.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 3:14pm
Pool noodles on order !
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 2:28am
I want to remove the windshield and paint the dash. It is long overdue. I plan to remove the windshield and gauges, sand a little bit, patch some holes with an epoxy paste, then final sand. I am having my wife do the painting as I suck at it.

My question is what to paint with, and how to apply?

Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 9:01am
Mike,
You do realize that dashes weren't painted in 68! Looks like someone did it when they put the newer style windshield on your boat. The black dashes of the late 70's were actually gel coated. Are you sure you want to paint? You could just see what's under the black paint first!

If you really want to paint, the easiest compromise between ease of application and durability and still staying with a single component paint is Pettit Easypoxy. The standard paint will be a high gloss. If you want it to be a semi gloss of flat, you will need their de-glossing additive. The "roll and tip" method can be used with fair results if you don't want to spray it - the flatter the gloss, the better the method will look.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 1:06pm
Yup, it was painted when the windshield was replaced for sure. It just looks so bad. There are also 8-10 small holes in the dash that need to be filled also. It is like someone painted it with flat rustoleum or something.
It will be the only crappy looking part of my interior if I leave it. I have no plans on exterior or significant motor stuff this year. That will all be later down the road.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 2:46am
Last night and tonight I managed to get my floor template cut out.

I also finally rotated my RWP. This was a pointed out to me when I first posted about the boat back last March.

I got my plywood for the floor today and hope to get started at some point this weekend. I am picking up my trans mounts and a couple stainless pieces I am missing and hope to get the motor dry fit tomorrow night or Saturday.

I still have to decide if I am going to address my dash. My goal this winter is pretty much just structural, but now a couple things like that bug me and may still tackle them.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 3:49am
Wake:

You're really picking up the pace now. The end is in sight with that floor. I haven't done to much on my project this week. Back at the office doing planning. I be posting throwing foam next week for efforts over the weekend.
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 10:12am
Nice work. Looks like your front and rear sections are one piece. Are you going to do the wood like that?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 10:28am
measure twice cut once...one of the guy's at work made a beauty template such as yourself, it was for a transom, its impossible to f-up with a template....well after a lunch of whatever he does, he made the cuts, fit the boards pulled out to trim and trimmed the wrong edge....birch ply, not cheap.
I just shook my head and walked away.
just when you think to let someone else handle something and its impossible....

keep up the nice work
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 11:08am
I plan to measure 5x.

Riley, Yes. This is my third plan for the floor and I think I like it the best. I had considered a removeable center in the back, but anything I need to get at, I can reach from the engine hatch, or put in a deck plate.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 11:27am
I'm making mine with removable centers, both front and back. I'm going with vinyl flooring which doesn't come wide enough to do 1 piece anyways. You must be going with carpet.

Have you created a water tight bulkhead between the bilge and battery box? Or is there a hole in the bottom. I'm debating whether to do it like you did or have the whole bilge open.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 11:46am
keep in mind, the battery needs to vent in to the bildge, it gives off gases when running..if you didnt know....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 12:33pm
I have a watertight bulkhead, however, I moved the battery forward of the second one. The battery box will vent forward and backward as I cut my engine power cable holes in the rear of the box, which will run into the cable tube through a large hole. Vent #1. Also, I am installing an amp and sub, so I have cable holes through the front of the battery box going forward. Vent#2. I am not sure if I will do a pullring on the top, or I may just do a 3/4" or so finger hole to remove the cover for access. Any way i look at it, I do have some ventilation in there.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

This is my third plan for the floor and I think I like it the best. I had considered a removeable center in the back, but anything I need to get at, I can reach from the engine hatch, or put in a deck plate.

Mike, have you ever adjusted or replaced the packing through an access plate? Its an impossible task. I highly recommend making the rear section of the floor removable.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 2:36pm
Tim,
I have, and I do agree. But I can do it from the engine side. The packing nut is just behind the front end of the floor. Would be a little bit of a pain but I would rather have the floor solid.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 3:33pm
Now I am re-thinking a little. I do see the point and I will give it one last look. I still feel I can easily access the packing, and the cable block without a whole lot of effort. Now would be the time, but I am not convinced.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Mike, have you ever adjusted or replaced the packing through an access plate? Its an impossible task. I highly recommend making the rear section of the floor removable.

Tim,
I have and although it's a pain, I don't feel it's impossible. Better that changing out a starter blind on a PWC!!!

Mike,
My Tique has a solid center section with only the round access port. I did it intentionally because I didn't want a joint to show through the carpet in time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 3:52pm
Or make it 2 piece wood, but carpet over the whole thing. That case in an emergency or scenario where you may, one day, need to get down there, cut the carpet and pull up that section.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 4:12pm
That had also crossed my mind. This is a constantly evolving process.
I had also thought about just screwing down the whole rear section and not epoxying it like the front and sides. That way in any case of a failure I would have wide access. Exhaust fails, strut gets bashed, anything.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 16>
  Share Topic