NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79BFN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 11:41am
Kirk,
Looks like there are a couple areas where the log is worn all the way through the bottom. Classic case of running the boat with rotten stringers and bad engine alignment.

The one hole looks like it's right under the hose connecting the log to the stuffing box. Since the hose covering the hole would be the only thing keeping the water out (if it even covers the hole!) I'd recommend grinding it out and glassing in a new one. Do a search for "Buck Algonquin" and you'll find the logs.

Best time to set a new log is when you have the engine and shaft in and aligned with the strut/cutlass bearing. Then, the shaft will give you the reference point to the exact position of the log.

I wonder what the old shaft looked like?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 11:58am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I wonder what the old shaft looked like?

I bet it looked like a stair baluster.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 12:13pm
Now I know what I'll do today pull shaft and check mine. I wanted to look at that cutlass Bearing and see what size hose and packing I will need.
the grinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 1:51pm
Looks like the grinder is comming out again.
From the looks of things, PO had a problem at some point. The strut bearing is a non-metalic version that looks new and of course the shaft itself looks new.(The PO did tell me it had a new shaft in it.) When I finally got the boat running and was able to put it in gear, I noticed some serious vibration. I dismissed this as a major problem because I new the PO was the one who put the motor in last and was sure he didn't align the coupling. I new this because I asked him if he had any problems aligning it and he said, "No, it bolted right up." ????????? So....I dismissed the vibration and figured it would be solved when I put everything in and aligned. Now I'm wondering, was the shaft and strut bearing replaced because he thought that would take care of his vibration problem? The prop has hit the bottom of the hull before because the repair is obvious, but I don't know when or why.

From the looks of the Buck Algonquin site, they ought to have the log I need. So, I'll get the grinder warmed up.
It takes a big hole to bury an elephant.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 1:54pm
those famous last words, it bolted right up....it was fine,
"the things you own will start to own you"
Pgaboeing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaboeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 12:05pm
Kirk, I've been following your post as I do my stringers. Great info, Where did you find the nylon bristle brush for your grinder.

Thanks.
Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 8:05pm
Paul, the one I have can be found at most automotive paint stores. I sell them, and looked up a price which was $33 and change. We don't have our website up and running just yet so I can't direct you there, but I have seen them for around $25 at local jobber stores. I think the brand name to look for is ASTRO if I'm not mistaken.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 8:14pm
I was able to cut the log out yesterday and yes, it definitely had severe wear in two places all the way through. I found what seems to be the replacement from Buck Algonquin's website, however, they don't sell direct to end user and had to order from a distributor. Comming from Florida, so I should have by the end of the week. If it matches up I'll post the part number.

Pgaboeing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaboeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 9:47pm
Kirk,

Thanks, I was able to get one main stringer and two substringers out of the boat this weekend. Time to get into some wood work.

Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 10:47pm
I checked mine after seeing your post and it look real good no wear. Looking at the area around it though the glass in that square area was gray color while the rest was a salmon. Maybe the p.o had replaced.
Is that hose special or can I use a piece of cooling hose?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 10:52am
Originally posted by 79TiqueRebuild 79TiqueRebuild wrote:

Is that hose special or can I use a piece of cooling hose?

You want to use a rather HD hose to handle the twisting force of the shaft - wire reinforced.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 3:33am
I had to add a few more layers of glass to the primary stringers to snug up the cradle I made, and of course, I ran out of epoxy again. I did get her moved out from behind the curtain and under a beam. Looks like I'll be setting the motor and trans one night this week to align the shaft and new log. This has really thrown my schedule for a loop. After setting the cradle in and going back to all my measurments, I was 1/2" to low for motor mounts and 1/4" to high for trans mounts. I have thought about it for 2 days now and finally went back to check the glass buildup on the old stringers. Problem found on the motor mount end, however, I still haven't figured out the difference on the trans. mounts. Nonetheless, I've compensated with making new aluminum blocks for the motor and discarding the wood blocks. I have some adjustment left in the trans. mounts and will start with all the original measurments. Does anyone know of min/max angle on the motor/trans? I have a lifting plate mounted to the intake and could place an angle finder there to get a begining baseline to compare with my original measurments.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 10:00am
Originally posted by the grinch the grinch wrote:

Does anyone know of min/max angle on the motor/trans? I have a lifting plate mounted to the intake and could place an angle finder there to get a begining baseline to compare with my original measurments.

There isn't a min./max. engine/trans angle except for when the boat hull/engine is being designed. You engine angle is set. It's the shaft angle which is determined by the angle of the strut and the hull shape.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 11:15am
Thanks Pete, but don't you think all of these boats fall within a certain angle? I wouldn't think that there would be more than about 5 degrees variance on any of these boats if angle was measured while boat was level. I fully understand the strut/shaft alignment thing, that's why my project is being delayed here.

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 3:54pm
I have been under the impression that 1:1 boats are 12*.   That is exactly what the Mustang was.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2009 at 2:21am
Was able to get a few things done tonight until running into problems. I had to chase the threads on all of the motor mounts and then get them mounted. Lots of measuring but they are in along with the cradle I made previously.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2009 at 2:52am
Dropped the motor/trans in and preceeded to place the shaft log and strut in. This was when I figured out that something didn't look right with the strut. It was bent. Though disappointed with my find and prolonging getting the new log set, I went ahead and straightened the strut. I put the calipers on the strut bearing, and even though it looks to be new, the difference in the front and rear measurments was .030 differnce. I'm going to replace it.

Here is the new log. The part number from Buck Algonquin is: 00SLL100X
It is not an exact match to the factory version I took out, however, it was there closest match. I'll get some better pics once I start to align things.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2009 at 8:17pm
Interesting project!

Keep the pictures coming.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2009 at 8:59pm
Lookin good Grinch!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2009 at 2:47am
Okay, new strut bearings, and shaft aligned. Whoops..... I don't know if that Buck Algonquin part number is correct. I'm holding off on glassing it in and ordering a 00sL100 to compare the two. Going to alot of pains to get this right and something just didn't look right with the angle of the shaft and the angle on the log. There is only 1 degree difference on the angle of the two, but there is 1/2" difference in the width and length. What may be the determining factor however, is the fact that the hose barb for the one I have is for 1 1/2" hose on the packing vs. the one I'm ordering which is
1 3/4" hose barb. The new drippless seal I just ordered fits the later.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2009 at 4:38am
I did have the wrong log........I should have measured twice before ordering. The correct one is now in. In this photo you will see the differences btwn. the original (far right), the wrong new part (far left) and of course the correct one in the middle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2009 at 4:44am
A couple of long nights this week and my sleeping schedule is all screwed up! Like I said I did get the log in and finished up all the glass work. I painted the bilge this week and spent last night and about 12hrs today beginning reassembly. I'll post some pics. tommorrow.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2009 at 11:27am
always nice to see a shot with the distrib in the back
"the things you own will start to own you"
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2009 at 2:46pm
On the home stretch Kirk!! Nice.

Put up some pics of that pretty new bilge.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 8:43pm
Here are some updated pics. Notice the observer side cup holder. You may also notice I spent some extra time and sleeved all the wiring in the bilge in heat shrink.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 10:55pm
Looks great. Is there enough room for speakers under the cup holders?
Wish we would settle our contract so I can order fiberglass materials. Keep the pics coming.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 1:30am

Wish we would settle our contract so I can order fiberglass materials.

CWA?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 10:47am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Wish we would settle our contract so I can order fiberglass materials.

CWA?

john

Yes Local 6360 We've been working with a expired contract since the 4th. I've been holding off ordering supplies in case we walk.
31 years with ma bell I hope this will be my last contract.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 1:24pm
You guys would actually think about walking away from a job with 6.5 million people out of work and looking for a job..
not to mention those that have given up looking and not included in the 6.5 million figure ??

The work you are doing on the boat looks top notch.. Good job
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

You guys would actually think about walking away from a job with 6.5 million people out of work and looking for a job..
not to mention those that have given up looking and not included in the 6.5 million figure ??

Yes and I've taken a 20% pay cut plus a couple of weeks ago we shut down production. No money for payroll but saleried like myself still had to come to work. I worked for free that week!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic