NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Joe's 95 Ski Nautique Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 11:52pm
Joe has been very quiet on this project. Maybe he is waiting to surprise everyone at GL with a stroked 500+HP GT40 engine.

Will probably hit the water before Tims barefoot anyway.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 12:47am
Hey Joe,
Last summer I picked up an EFI 351 out of a truck to use the block. You can have the 2 bbl throttle body, the upper and lower intake and the fuel stuff if you want it. I'll NEVER use it. I've been thinking about trying to use the serp-belt pullies on the 86 - maybe?       
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 1:15am
Wow, good read. Obviously the title caught my eye when I saw the '96 in it, but as I was looking at pics I noticed some definite differences and as I read further your suspicion of it being a '95 is probably correct. The motorbox looks bigger, most likely to fit the invertaflow muffler aft of the engine, my '96 has the hull-hugger and smaller dogbox with the rear cupholders and center tray. Did you confirm the hull numbers to be a '95? Looking forward to more progress on this one, now I know why you were eying my blue '96 at SJRR!!!
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 3:32am
Minimal progress on this boat, certainly no danger of it showing up at green lake. It is definitely a 95. I have about 20 hours of sanding into removing the bottom paint at this point and basically done with it except for the spray relief pockets. I have removed all the deck hardware, carpet, rubrail, and decals and need to pick up some gelcote to fill in a few chips and some chine damage before sanding/wetsanding/buffing. The gel is pretty rough at this point but I have no doubt it will come back to pretty.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2012 at 7:11pm
Well the first minimal signs of progress on this boat in a long time… I decided that I was never going to get around to fixing the gelcote chips with the boat out front on blocks. So I finally have finished a couple other things to free up the trailer that I procured some time back to go under this boat.   About time because according to this thread that boat has been out there since 2009

No fancy tools or heaving lifting for this one.. without the prop guard in place you position the trailer in front of the boat as far back as possible without hitting the front block..

Then you position el cheapo engine picker like so …

Lift the front and remove the front blocks..

Back the trailer all the way up to the back blocks and lower the lift

Then I unpacked our good friend Zach’s contribution to this project and angola cover out of N3’s overstock inventory. For the price I would have taken any color… but I must be living right because this thing is perfect for this boat, thanks to Trbenj for giving me the heads up it was available and Zach and N3 for the super service and hookup!!

Here it is next to my wetsand and buff test spot .. matches better than it needs to be

And a couple rolled out..

I don’t have the windshield or platform on but I expect it will fit great.    

Hopefully since it is now mobile I will get this into the shop for some more part removal and sandpaper work sooner than later, and now that I have a cover for it I can really start wetsanding and not worry about having to leave it back out in the elements.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2012 at 7:19pm
We were wondering when the flower pot was going to receive a little love there Joe haha.. Looks like you have your hands full with the Sportsman and now the SN... Ready for a long winter huh??

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2012 at 7:27pm
Joe nice!!! Theres something about blue boats and you...

That boat will be very pretty when she's all finished.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2012 at 7:27pm
Yeah well I am trying to justify procuring some additional space.. so getting a few projects going doesnt hurt the cause. Besides this is the first year I havent had to build a new engine for the 83 in a while so I have a little extra time... and I am still hoping for a few wetsanding volunteers to show up over the winter and want to make sure they have plenty to do...     
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2012 at 7:52pm
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2012 at 7:55pm
Send them by the way of my 86 once you've given their sanding arms a good work out haha.

I hope to strip that thing down over the winter and do some sanding. Maybe starting as soon as Christmas when I'm home?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2012 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Looks like you have your hands full with the Sportsman and now the SN... Ready for a long winter huh??

Moj'

If I'm not mistaken, Joe's priority project is related to that yellow pan next to the 95....then the Sportsman and then the SN.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2012 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

[
If I'm not mistaken, Joe's priority project is related to that yellow pan next to the 95....then the Sportsman and then the SN.

Wonder if he has a trailer for it??
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2012 at 9:11pm
Joe,
You really need to get a new spot to do your projects!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2012 at 11:42pm
I see pictures of Joe's barn and all I can think of is Joe walking to his shop like Roy Underhill. Hey thats an idea for a new show "Boatwright's Shop" with JoeinNY
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I see pictures of Joe's barn and all I can think of is Joe walking to his shop like Roy Underhill. Hey thats an idea for a new show "Boatwright's Shop" with JoeinNY

Gary, at first glance I thought- How do you know about Roy Hill- then I saw the Underhill..

Here's the guy I thought you were speaking off.

Roy Hill Drag Racing School
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 12:48am
Interesting Marty but expensive!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 2:48am
How have I missed this thread for three years? Very cool project Joe. Will that hull be faster than the 83? It looks faster but I am guessing maybe not so much.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 11:17am
Joe, what's that stuff all over the bottom of the hull? Did you take that thing muddin'?
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 11:57am
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Joe, what's that stuff all over the bottom of the hull? Did you take that thing muddin'?

That is the last remaining vestiges of the 1/16th of an inch of aligatored up bottom paint that was cover the thing.. which is why it was on blocks outside - I spent about 20 hours under there with a palm sander,respirator and face mask - whats left in that one spot I can handle indoors wet ...

The Yellow boat is the number one priority and I did work on it this weekend.. upto the point where my favorite grinder ground its last and I had to scrub the mission… (I got the center stringer out, the extra fiberglass someone added to the rotten engine mounting stringers was the grinder killer) and push it back inside, then I got to do the back brakes on one of the sisters cars, replace a few fuel lines on my commuter, and tear into the carb on the 1962 40hp Johnson. We keep it moving around my shop considering I am a less than part time hobbyist.

As to the shop haters… you all wish you had my 2400 sqft man cave.. concrete floors, bose sound system, ample air, amps, beer, lighting, and tools and since it is completely unfit for women, children, and animals of all sorts plenty of uninterrupted time to get work done! Some peoples shops around here look like the set of a cooking show! ;-)

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 12:53pm
Got the Champ in the shop now !! Keep posing photos of your work on old yeller !!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

The infamous CCFan.com Banners have shown up
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 8:06pm

Some peoples shops around here look like the set of a cooking show! ;-)

I hear you brotha, I must have half a dozen extension cords laying on the floor to run the halogens off of so I can get a few hours at night in my dungeon. Bonus is they double as heaters. All plugged into one 20 amp line, it's a bitch varnishing in the dark when I trip a breaker.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 8:35pm

As to the shop haters… you all wish you had my 2400 sqft man cave.. concrete floors, bose sound system, ample air, amps, beer, lighting, and tools and since it is completely unfit for women, children, and animals of all sorts plenty of uninterrupted time to get work done! Some peoples shops around here look like the set of a cooking show! ;-)

Joe,
You by chance wouldn't be referring to my shop would you?? But, as Alan mentioned if you do varnish, you need a very clean area.

I hear you on the bottom paint. I went through the process on my X55 when I wanted to go back to an original bronze. I had put a ablative on it years ago. The only thing that would touch it was good old Zip Strip and then of course the RO.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 8:47pm
[QUOTE=JoeinNY]
Some peoples shops around here look like the set of a cooking show!

I guess some are too busy cleaning to get anything done

On a side note Joe can you post a picture of your cutoff wheel and where you got it?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 2:41pm
What is the yellow boat? Back looks weird.

Also why do i think you have a feeling that a new boat becomes your " Number one Priority" each week? lol
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 4:43pm
I have learned that you should always have more than one project going at once, otherwise when you have time to work you will be waiting on parts (or the money to pay for them), or when you have parts you won’t have time.. when you need to do outdoor work it will be raining(or cold), and when you have to be indoors building an engine it will be beautiful outside. Unfortunately without a climate controlled shop there are never enough fiberglass days in a spring or fall, and if you only have one project a lot of those fiberglass or paint days you finish your layup or your paint in an hour or so and then you have nothing left you can work on till it dries. But if you have two boats that need work you can easily move back and forth. Not to mention the ability to buy supplies in bulk.. not just to save money but to save time in ordering. I usually figure it is a good week (non-summer) if I can get 15-20 hours of shop work in.

The yellow boat is one of these

http://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/3348427273.html

A seriously crazy contraption.. I don’t really like the black in the interior or over the chrome pieces but you get the idea. The one I am working on has a Volvo Outdrive and a Holman Moody 351w … instead of the generic repower.   It is the number one priority because it has an owner waiting for it and I promised him he would have a working boat before I had two (or three) working boats.   

This is my trusty lowes brand (task force) fiberglass cutting device… it aint pretty but it has outlasted quite a few grinders now and still cuts through fiberglass like butter – twice as fast as a good cutoff wheel and considering I would have used a hundred of them or more by now quite a bit cheaper.   I am sure many others work as good or better.. I just haven’t had the need to try them yet.

I was hoping marty wouldn’t notice the banners until I got the corner of the other one put back up.. no excuse on that at the moment considering I have some rolling scaffolding stored right under it at the moment…

I certainly wouldn’t mind a dust free environment for painting, varnish, gelcote, etc.. but that will have to wait, I am not going to put a paintbooth in a rental.. as it is moving all the stuff I already have in here out of this place would require quite a few trips with a heavy duty trailer. (No word on how many of them would go directly to the recyclers).
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 4:52pm
O wow, so you're renting this space? Would be cool if you could fix it up, insulate it.

Also sounds good, cool looking boat, i was just about to ask if it would be possibly to make a V drive, but it's someone elses.

Well GL!

1970 Mustang
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 5:17pm
Thanks Joe always good to have first hand experence. I have seen those but didn't know if they were any good or not.When I did my console work I just used a jig saw and went through several blades on that small project.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2012 at 12:20pm
Joe, you ever think about buying a cheap vozelgang wood stove from Harbor Freight? Would probably heat that place up nicely.
1970 Mustang
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 10:54pm
Just a Winter bump. Came across this thread on a search, but any updates?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic