NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rise of the Buckskin Beauty

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2012 at 6:16pm
FYI, not that saving $5 at this point matters, i've noticed at least in my area, Home Depot charges significantly less for lumber then Lowes.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2012 at 6:21pm
Agreed.. but its on the other side of town.. and way too close to the mall to be going there on the weekend after thanksgiving
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2012 at 6:59pm
Joe,
All I see is a dozen places to install sizable beer storage devices in that phat ass hahaha... Can't wait to see what you come up with this winter....

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2012 at 7:17pm
Looks a lot more doable now than when you first tore into it Joe. Good progress so far. I can't even imagine some of the projects some of you guys take on.

Anyway, I just had an epiphany for your project. A few pages back, there was some discussion on seating arrangement that would best suit your "Lake Cruiser". Well, I got it. Remember those two projects, one on PN and one on here, where the guys turned their 2001s into V-drives. There you go. Wrap-around seating, a sun deck for the hotties plus super surf boat. All problems solved. I think it would be pretty cool.

thread on 2001 v-drive thread for those of you that missed it.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2012 at 7:19pm
Coronado Cardel !!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2012 at 7:34pm
Why Cant you keep a Direct drive and do the same thing? Does turning the engine around really create that much more room? EHh I guess I just answered my own question.
1970 Mustang
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 11:33am
[QUOTE=75 Tique]

Anyway, I just had an epiphany for your project. A few pages back, there was some discussion on seating arrangement that would best suit your "Lake Cruiser". Well, I got it. Remember those two projects, one on PN and one on here, where the guys turned their 2001s into V-drives. There you go. Wrap-around seating, a sun deck for the hotties plus super surf boat. All problems solved. I think it would be pretty cool.

QUOTE]

Don't mistake me with our friend in florida with the blank canvas Debonaire... I have absolutely no thoughts of not using the beautiful flawless 70s school busesk interior that the boat came with..

I was just removing the tops from the bases and cleaning it up last night before moving it to the storage shelves for the winter.

There will be no major layout changes to this beast, no visual modernizations, enlarging of exhausts, etc. There arent too many of these around and a guy with 6 correct crafts aught to have a couple that are quasi originalish (remote controlled hydraulic hatches revealing underfloor refrigerated beverage storage compartments are originalish right?)
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 11:42am
Can't fault you for wanting to keep that rare bird somewhat original-ish. OK, no more talk about reconfiguring. Six CCs? Catch me up, I am missing one. Original "hole shot" mustang, the "flagship" 83, the 93 project, the all baby blue older (60s?) Nautique (I havent seen or heard anything about that one since its maiden voyage, what came of it?) and now the debonaire. What am I missing?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 12:15pm
I would be lying if I said I didnt have to count twice in my head before posting that I have 6 a minute ago.. in order of purchase (I think)
67 mustang - blue 302 ford
83 SN - Blue 408 ford
72ish mustang - omc chevy
95 SN - GT40
67 Wildcat- 426 Chrysler
65 Sportsman - 318 poly
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 12:17pm
There must be something about the Sportsman you really like to put it at the front of the line?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 12:28pm
Pictures of the mustang, Wildcat and sportsman need to be posted asap.
1970 Mustang
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 12:29pm
Ah yes, the Wildcat, forgot that one. That was the one you slid down the side of the mountain with, wasn't it? I had some other facts a little off too, I thought the nautique proj was a 93 not a 95 and I thought the 72ish was a nautique, not a mustang. What's the status of that one? Always liked the solid colored boats. (Plus its a Chevy....not that I really have any reason to be partial to one motor over an other, but its what I have so I fly the flag)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 12:43pm
I can't wait to see the Debonaire in person,hard to visualize it's size. Does not look too big in these pic's,but it sure did in your first pictures at the gas station.I am also amazed that they seem to transform as soon as all that rotten wood and foam are removed no matter who's boat it is.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

There must be something about the Sportsman you really like to put it at the front of the line?

Joe is getting out of the fast boat game...

He probably figures that small block strokers and turbo Chryslers cant keep up with a healthy big block Chevy anyways. Time to build a tank with a stock small block that'll only do 40!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Pictures of the mustang, Wildcat and sportsman need to be posted asap.

The sportsman is that which is discussed in this thread.

I think the Mustang would be first on my list, but that's jsut a personal preference thing.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 2:09pm
The mustang can't be first.. its tiny and has no ski pylon, I am a man with a big family and a bunch of friends who likes to ski.

The sportsman (I am going to stop calling it a debonaire even though that is the only known brochure name for boats with this hull because it has a serial number starting with SP so I am saying it left as a Sportsman) it isn’t at the front of the line.. just tied for second. First is the yellow boat for my machine shop guy. Tied for second are the 95 and the Sportsman.. as they are the two boats I have the most day to day use for – the 95 as a slalom/boom boat and all around backup to my 83. The sportsman over the other classics simply because it will hold more people.. it is pretty hard deciding which of my 8 nieces and nephews to leave behind on the dock when it is time to go for a boat ride… might buy me a couple of years before finally having to pony up the dough to build a pontoon boat.

The sportsman has gotten the work as of late because I needed to get it off of the trailer for the 95 and out of the way of the yellow boat so I can get all three of them in a position to be worked on before the possibility of old man winter dumping a bunch of snow. The yellow boat is a year overdue and no other boats will hit the water before it is done and delivered.

The 72ish Mustang is pretty cool, has a really bad arse longblock ready to go but needs a bunch of work… and it is one that I want to sew my own interior for .. Ideally I will start to work on that next winter along with the wildcat.. it has a relatively serviceable interior and stringers but as they will both take the same vinyl and I can throw bulk purchases at it. Both will need significant gel repair as well. The wildcat I don’t want to rush.. I would like to get the infamous twin turbo setup from the Midwest moved out this way (maybe picked up at green lake next summer?) and do what it takes to get all that up running and tuned.. but the boat is going to need to match.   Those are big money projects compared to this year’s boats, hardware to chrome, gauges to rebuild, etc.   I would suspect a few outside jobs will have to be taken here and there to fund them. I would like to have them done before I am 40. You never know when a great deal on a newer vdrive might show up and need a little attention either..

I would like to think that sooner than later I am going to end up with a well insulated space that will allow me to do fiberglass and paint work in the winter which would really help out the pace of these projects, but the reality is if that goes through I will probably spend a year outfitting the new shop before I get anything done in it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 2:17pm
I have watched and shown the "hole shot" video way too many times to count. It, and a ride in Gary's Mustang, are the reasons I hold out hope for my Mustang to perform well when finished.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 2:17pm
Joe, my shop is on its 8th year and I'm still outfitting/arranging it. BUT, it is, and has been, very usable.

Along with the boats, you should pick up a couple of car projects... you know try and be "well rounded".
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

The sportsman (I am going to stop calling it a debonaire even though that is the only known brochure name for boats with this hull because it has a serial number starting with SP so I am saying it left as a Sportsman)

If you hadnt seen it, the 20' Sportsman was referenced (though not pictured) in the '66 brochure. Im guessing the 20' Riviera available during those same years also got the same hull... it at least got its picture taken.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 2:31pm
You need a trailer for that Sportsman. Come on over to Maine and bring Tim with you. You can pick up a couple of trailers. The trailer will cost you 1 case of Jenny Cream delivered to LNM.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 2:34pm
Didn't they use the Sportsman name for the earlier Wildcat and Barracuda hulls as well?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 2:37pm
They list 17', 19' and 20' versions of the Sportsman, so Id say yes!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 2:46pm
About the 1967 Mustang, what kind of prop were u using in that hole shot video?
1970 Mustang
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 2:56pm
Well theres my boat right there on the confidential dealer price page, that makes the tag more meaningfull as well, I was thinking SP 20138 was awefully high.. but as SP20 138 it makes more sense- and only $140 bucks more than a SN with the same engine option.

The 67 was running an LH OJ XMP 3 blade 13x11.5 or something like that there.. was a very light boat and a not stock engine
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 2:59pm
And yes Bruce I might need a trailer for a sportsman... no word yet on logistics..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 3:00pm
Tim,
What year is the price list? I'm guessing 65?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 3:04pm
My 1968 has a 12x14 3 blade i believe, i'm not sure what my 1970 is running, but I just want something that will perform like that haha.

What did you change on the 302? I figured that was an optional engine?
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Tim,
What year is the price list? I'm guessing 65?

66 it's in the reference section.
1970 Mustang
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2012 at 4:23pm
Guess I need to look that over closer.

Kind of surprised to see an American Skier listed in 66.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 10:39am
Joe, may be worth dropping this guy a line if you need some goodies.......before he gets the grinder out again.

67 Sportsman
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic