NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Banana George's Barefoot Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I really think it's a age thing I like the look of the tops too and would put one on in a second. But then Hollywood reminded me that now with my console and a top up it would be next to impossible to get into the seats.

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

They are part of the charm. Right, Bruce? (I know I've got at least one ally in this battle)

I'm joining the "fuggly" (as Tim would say) old group here and say I like the tops as well! Yes, they snap on but bimini hardware screws to the deck as well.
Gary,
Getting to the front seat is an "age thing" too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 2:40pm
Seen plenty of biminis that clip to the rubrail, windshield frame, and even floor on the aft side.

There must be some reason those tops aren't around anymore. They've got to be crippling getting in and out of the driver seat. Oh, and they make a SKI boat look like a cruiser.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

There must be some reason those tops aren't around anymore.

They are more expensive to make since each is boat specific. Bimini's are a fit all with given standard sizes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 2:50pm
quinner wrote:

Where there any other BBBB built other then the 83' #1 & 86' #2?

Coincidentally, I was searching for another boat in our Archives this week and happened to see the invoice for the yellow-anodized hardware that went on George's '86 BFN. Every piece of hardware on that boat was yellow. Some said that certain parts were actually gold plated.

Art
"Art"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 3:08pm
I would be very careful about a "pro" stringer job, regardless of the guys resume. Be sure to require pictures at every stage of the job and post them here for us to critique. A few people here have paid dearly for stringer rebuilds only to receive very shoddy work. Scary stuff.

I really think it would be a disservice to the boat to put in a non-original interior... I think you're tied to the brown. Check dolphin Naugahyde for some brown shades- their line of vinyls have some marbling in them which match the original 70's and early 80's style reasonably close. Try and recreate the patterns as close as you can, diamond pleating included.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would be very careful about a "pro" stringer job, regardless of the guys resume. Be sure to require pictures at every stage of the job and post them here for us to critique. A few people here have paid dearly for stringer rebuilds only to receive very shoddy work. Scary stuff.

I'd be very cautious as well. Let's see, he lasted for awhile at CC then MC but now he's making fishing boat hulls???? FYI, a hull doesn't necessarily need stringers in it before it goes to the manufacturer for the final. A mold, chop gun and a roller is pretty basic glass work.

I really think it would be a disservice to the boat to put in a non-original interior... I think you're tied to the brown. Check dolphin Naugahyde for some brown shades- their line of vinyls have some marbling in them which match the original 70's and early 80's style reasonably close. Try and recreate the patterns as close as you can, diamond pleating included.

I totally agree. Keep it original as it's truly a classic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 3:44pm
Art, It is really nice to hear any info on the BBBB#II, from someone who was there and saw it.

I do have a picture I took of Banana George with my 4 kids in 1992 after his barefoot performance at Cypress Gardens, high flyer off a tower, and around the bay, back to the grandstands.

If there is any way you could get any copies of any records of the build, spec sheet, or suppliers, I would greatly appreciate it and reimburse any expenses. I am preserving the boat and history and all copies of any records. He was a real ambassador of the sport and CC's and will always have a place in my heart. Also, I did receive the wayward CC script. Thanks.

Tom is working on restoring the BBBB#1 and we are planning to reunite them, maybe even this summer. But that is only a rumor and is a surprise, so don't mention it.

Todd
Spoffie1962 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 6:56pm
Todd,
Thanks for the advise the other day. I was wondering what type of speakers to use. The tower for BBBB1 should be in soon and I want the loudest speakers I can find. Any suggestions?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 7:10pm
Well you can't just put any speakers on, you have to watch ebay and buy the best you could buy in 83 As to a tower since they hadn't been invented yet, any muffler shop should be able to produce something but I think a good plumbing supply shop might be better as you could do it yourself. Keep in mind if your going to show the boat you'll have to find USA made pipe and fittings,there were no Chinese krap available yet
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Spoffie1962 Spoffie1962 wrote:

Todd,
Thanks for the advise the other day. I was wondering what type of speakers to use. The tower for BBBB1 should be in soon and I want the loudest speakers I can find. Any suggestions?

Pyle or Jensen.   
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 7:45pm
All I know is the kids like to go tubing with their friends and I need to get that rope higher so someone doesn't get their head taken off.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 8:39pm
Also, has anyone ever converted one of these boats to an open bow? I plan on having plenty of poeple in the boat so I need as much room as possible. If this can be done, can I just buy cushions from a CC dealer? or can I use the cushions my neighbor gave me from his Bayliner before he junked it? And is it possible to install those tribal band graphics from a newer CC?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 8:46pm
Yes on the graphics and open bow... a sawzall works best if you have a steady hand. I cant help on the tower, but Pete knows how to dial in the tubing set up, so hopefully he'll chime in.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 9:57pm

Yes on the graphics and open bow... a sawzall works best if you have a steady hand. I cant help on the tower, but Pete knows how to dial in the tubing set up, so hopefully he'll chime in.

I really feel the wrong boat has been purchased especially considering the mods wanted. Personally, the next boat on my list is a Bayliner.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 12:58am
Boat, motor, trailer- $4995.00! 15' of pure ecstacy !! Happy April Fools day everyone.
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 1:07am
Tom,

As long as you're cutting the deck out to make a bowrider, you can save some time with a circular saw, as the decks are pretty stout. Then you'll have to modify the windshield for a walk-through, or just eave it off at those speeds. More room and lots of potential. Barefoot Banana Tube Nautique. Kind of has a ring to it!!

Todd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 1:28am
You guys have me pointed in the right direction, can't thank you enough. Pete, I'll trade you a Bayliner for that X55 straight up any day. That Dunphy was, and is, one of my all time favorite boats. My first boat was a 20'1962 Chris Craft Holiday, but I really wanted an X55 (or a Besotes).
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 11:12am

Boat, motor, trailer- $4995.00! 15' of pure ecstacy !! Happy April Fools day everyone.

Tom

That was a good one.
My wife is happy, now that I am not road tripping to Georgia this weekend to steal your boat. Actually I thought of having my buddy grab it on his way back up from Florida, Spring Break.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 11:32am
Also, you can go with YELLOW under water lights. Bring on the Bling and Pimp that ride.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 3:43pm
Wasn't that a show, "Pimp my Banana Boat"?
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2013 at 3:34pm

Hollywood, I am on CCF, I just tend to stay somewhat low key. The boat itself is sound, although it has been on a steady decline since the PO bought it off of George in '86 as a teenager. The PO barefooted with George in the 80's, so when BBBB2 arived in '86, he was first in line to buy BBBB1. As you can see though, not much love lavished on it since then. It was used up until last September, when the BBC gave up the ghost in the middle of a barefooting run. I hope to have it on the water this summer, even if it's not 100% restored. Just to be able to dock it next to Todd's BBBB2 someday would be a thrill! Anyone out there with pictures of BBBB1 back in the day? I'd love to see what she used to look like.

Last I heard about the '86 BBBB was that a guy in TN or KY owned it. His name is something that sounds like Buttafucco. I worked on the transmission for him a few years ago. I think the Hull ID is CTC08035C686. A former co-worker of mine was doing some work on it in Cookville, TN.

Art
"Art"
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 4:38pm
Tom, any update?

I missed this thread the first time, and really just stumbled onto it by accident...if the BBBB1 made it into the water this is definitely a thread that needs to be bumped.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by JamesRFrom JamesRFrom wrote:

I was warned earlier this summer from a friend of mine that has a particularly rare yellow barefoot nautique that created a stir a few months back when he initially bought it. He told me to steer clear of this site and some of its members for this very reason. People like YOU.
(Taken from James' “STROKE THE EGO” thread.)

I took it to mean that Tom didnt appreciate our input in his BBBBI thread. But maybe Im wrong.

Todd, all advise is welcomed and appreciated! As we were once told, it takes a village.....
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 5:33pm
well that would be a real shame. I just found this thread today and read the whole thing, it seemed like he was amped and ready to go on the resto, even sounded like he had spoken to Uncle Todd several times. All the conversation seemed to be good natured (and that's not always the case here), with Tom even joking around about adding underwater lights and a tower for tubing. Hopefully he's still around and can set the record straight.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 5:56pm
For all of you who met and knew him, Banana George Blair passed away October 17 at age 98 in New Jersey, where he was originally from.

There was an article about him in the Orlando Sentinel on Oct. 21 and a couple more followup articles.

50 years of barefooting, footed on all seven continents, a two broken back injuries, and he still footed until age 92. An amazing, wonderful guy and very generous to all of the skiing sports, and a great supporter and contributor to the Water Ski Museum at USAWS Headquarters in Polk City, FL.

Art
"Art"
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 6:53pm
Art - I had not heard the news about George. Thanks for sharing. For those interested, I found some articles (below). It is very sad when we chase people away at this site. The good done here can be overshadowed by a few careless words.

Orland Sentinel

LA Times

Wikipedia

Water Ski Magazine

Scholarship Fund set up in George's name
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2013 at 11:48am
Art,
Thank you for posting that about George. After writing back and forth with JoAnne about 6 months ago I got the feeling things were going downhill fairly quickly, but George was one tough guy. My wife was the one who encouraged me to buy the boat, as it was a magazine article on George over 15 years ago that inspired her to get back into horse riding in her 40's. She will ride till the day she dies, and she credits George as her inspiration. From a practical standpoint, I needed another Nautique and another project like a hole in the head, as a '70 Chevelle and a '75 Triumph Trident T160 are all waiting to be finished. This boat was something I couldn't pass up though. This all transpired while I was being transferred to Georgia, and I'm still in temporary housing while I attempt to get a house completed. That is why the boat will unfortunately be on the back burner until spring. The busyness of life and work has directed my attention away from this site lately, but you need to know that I consider my fellow Correct Craft brethren a vital part in the restoration of this boat. This task will be 1000 times more difficult without you. The knowledge, experience and passion is not something you'll find anywhere else on any other site, and we, and our boats, are all better off for it. Please be patient with me and my timeline. Here is what I can tell you about it so far- I found black paint under the PO applied yellow on the .060 over 454, so I'm thinking some sort of Mercruiser replacement along the way. It would have been silver from PCM. Art C. has assured me they didn't paint it yellow at the factory. I will need a complete set of original gauges including replacement or restored Airguides. The little details like a new in-dash compass (original I believe)and getting the windshield wiper operational will probably be a bugger. Love it or hate it, that style top is original but I don't where to find one. Oh, and a new steering wheel would be nice (are you listening Santa?). This site will be my go-to source for just about everything when I get going on this, so I'm going to thank you all in advance for your help. I know I could do this by myself, but I couldn't do it correctly (or is that Correct Craftly?) without you. Tom
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2013 at 12:59pm
I could take the Chevelle off your hands
This is the life
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2013 at 1:05pm
Tom when it's time I think any competent canvas shop will be able to make you one. It's good you have a picture to show them so they will know what your exactly talking about. I think the hardest things to find will be the gauges but the fact it's an 80's boat and so many were built will sure help. The good thing is the fact that even if it takes awhile to find them it won't hold you up,you can change them out as you get them. Here is a quick google search result and they show them under the boat tops section. I think it's great that you and Todd are bringing these two icons back to life.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2013 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I think it's great that you and Todd are bringing these two icons back to life.

+1!!!! Take your time with the resto. Your CCF family will be here to help. I'm into year 3 of my 1993 SN restoration myself. Enjoy the journey!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic