NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foam removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
Author
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 9:03pm
Eric you hvae those days every once in awhile. Just try not to have to many they will wear you out. PLus it means one of two things. Either you liked what your were doing so much you just kept right on going. The other is you hate it some much you just want to get it over with.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 10:03pm
Eric,
The project is really looking good. Can you tell me more about that long and strong product? Is it a filler with fibergla$$ strands in it? Thanks Scott
Scott
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:52am
Yes, its a filler with strands of gla$$ in it, its great for filling voids and the after you apply the long and strong you can go to Duragla$$ which has no gla$$ in it, the durgla$$ is nice for shaping and molding
   Eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 6:22pm
Thanks Eric. Do you know if gelcote can be applied over those two materials? Scott
Scott
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 6:37pm
how about them pictures you promised Eric?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 7:25am
I'll finish off with resin but yes you could put gel over it, after you epoxy primer and sand          Eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 7:37am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 7:38am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 7:38am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 7:39am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 7:41am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 7:49am
Hasbeen, all the materials did come fibergla$$ coatings....call for a catalog, it lists all the products and uses..... they specialize in one thing.....gla$$ work. the girl was suppose to put a post up with all thier info, apparently she hasnt...must not need the sales
   Eric

MORE PICS TO COME..............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 11:57am
Eric looks good, are you foaming each section as you put the floor in or will you just foam the rest now before you put more floor down?

Is it easier to foam by section or all at once then put the flooring down?

I see how you mist lunch the other day looks like you have really been getting it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 1:00pm
for many reasons you do one section at a time,
one reason is for waste, you do a section then cut it and throw the cut offs in the next section. just before i put in the second floor section i'll pour foam and attach to tighten the floor up as i did with the first section i have down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 10:07pm
sounds like a good reason. Have to ask questions. In hopes of being like skibum and BKH and having a project boat someday. Not any time soon though, Have alot of learning to do about gel coats and stringers before doing one of these projects myself.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 6:52am
Eric, progressing nicely there. I have an 81 BFN needing some deck work too. I dont know how much at this point because I havent had the time to tear in to it yet. I am not looking forward to it either. I live in St.Pete and have been using Fibergla$$ coatings for many years. I feel fortunate to have them close by. (About 10 minutes from home)
Funny Story regarding foam. A friend of mine stopped by to see the 81 S.N. project boat with his young and sweetly goofy son in law. I mixed a quart of foam, handed it to him and told him to hold the cup over the trash can and stir it while I made a phone call. You should have seen the panick on his face when it started to kick.
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 10:22am
I can imagine, did he get it on his hands?
the foam does not come off your hands, you either have to grind it off or razor blade it.
hasbeen, have you ever been over to Horne's salvage? just wondering what its like over there. I deal with Alex alot on trans stuff
Eric
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 10:35am
Eric I've been over there a couple of times since you mentioned it. Actually got the last fittings I needed for the aluminum exhaust had to transition from the 1" hose to the 3/8" straight thread couldn't find any AN fittings that would do the trick, saw some on another set of exhaust he pulled them off and sold them pretty cheap.

the shop isn't overly big some what cluttered but organized clutter, Everything is broken down into sections, exhaust here, props there, lower units over there and gauges stacked in these rows. Nice pleasent guys to deal with. Need to get back over there and look for some exhaust elbow's for Johns manifolds. There an odd ball one to find, they have to have the pa$$ thru jacket for the water and then they are clamped around the O.D. of the elbow. I've pretty much come to the conclusion we're not going to find what he needs to match them up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 12:38pm
My brother stopped in one time while at bike week and met alex, seems like he would have alot of oddball stuff there, he definitely has some snake oil salesman in him but on the other hand so do I (when dealing with him)
Eric
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 2:03pm
Eric, I wear surgical gloves when ever I am working with foam, resin, or gel coat. I buy them by the boxes at Fibergla$$ Coatings, and lots of them.They do come in sizes too, XL eliminates any hand cramping. When my hands become nasty I peel them of and grab two fresh ones. Acetone will remove foam off of anything if it is still tacky.
I have been to Horne's on several occasions looking for steering wheels, Airguides, etc. and have not been successful. 79 is right about organized clutter. I could see where they would be helpful with trannie parts, manifolds, lower units, out drives There is another marine salvage operation in town that is HUGE. Don's Salvage.
I have had better luck there. Don travels to boat yards, boat builders and marine component manufactures and buys stuff in lots.

hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 2:43pm
I'd have a field day down there in Fla. , a company changed hands a few years back up here (Cleveland prop) and the last thing they new about was transmissions, thier basement was full and i bought every last one of them, thay had alot of good obsolete stuff.
Hasbeen, ive been putting the gloves on lately and wearing a mask also what helps is a long sleeve shirt and duct taping the sleeves so that the gla$$ doesnt sneak up there and itch
copcraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 3:11pm
Hasbeenskier

I'm heading down to spend a week in Reddington beach on Staurday. The last time we were down there Don's salvage was one of the highlghts of the trip. Unbelievable the crap he has on that acreage. What a blast going through it all... Can't wait. How's the weather been?

David
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 4:02pm
i saw eric in action yesterday and he does take pride in his work....87bfn's boat is in good hands, looks very good....all i can say is better you than me eric!...cant wait to see pics when its done and the motor with those hy tek's!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 6:34pm
Eric, speaking of protection against gla$$ a couple of other things that are helpful are:
(1) Cover your skin with baby powder before beginning.
(2) I take Wal-Mart White tube socks and slice open the toes with a razor, then slide it up my arms from wrist to bicep. Then I just wear an old tee shirt because it is usually hot here.
(3)Then I just deal with it because I have found there is no escape from the pain. Unless You are like 87BFN and contract it out. He is the smart one in the bunch.

hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 6:42pm
David, Good on ya! The weather next week-end is supposed to be Chamber of Commerce. We have a slight chance of rain Monday. Where are you coming in from. It amazes me in no small way the number of you guys coming to visit and even those that have lived here in the past. I know 79 Nautique comes to Saint Petersburg alot and Scott8370 used to live in Indian Rocks Beach.
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 7:13pm
A guy told me to go home and put some baking soda in the bathtub and it will dissolve the gla$$ in your skin,
We need the guy's from mythbuster's on that one
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 7:25pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 7:26pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 7:27pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 7:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic