NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water behind a stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 16>
Author
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 5:03pm
The entire rear center floor section on our 206 is removable and is not screwed down at all, nice snug fit and looks fine.

BTW Mike, looks really great, everything is coming along well.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 5:11pm
Mike, I would not do the floor in the rear solid. If your using carpet, you can get a nice tight friction fit like Chris is saying without using screws. If you want to use screws, the floor between the motor box and seat is so short, you'll be able to hide them under the seat and motor box.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 5:24pm
Mike, like Bruce and CQ said, the panel will fit nice and snug and doesnt need to be fastened down. I wrapped the carpet on both my '90 and '78 and I think it looks great.

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 7:06pm
I like the idea of it being whole and friction fit a lot better than three pieces. I feel like it will be a stiffer floor with less stuff underneath. If it ever has to come out it won't be any harder to do the whole thing than the center. The worst case exhaust failure would require that part being removed anyway. I do not really want to sister support boards in the bilge to hold the center.
I will give it another look tonight, and see what I think.

thanks for the ideas, and the compliment!!!

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2009 at 2:50am
Whatever ya decide...its a awesome job. Love following the pictures that you guys take the time to share.

Quess I'll get to tell ya that in person..

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2009 at 5:11am
OK. Please read the following with the eyes of a guy that has tunnel vision from 130+ hours of working on his bride's boat. I do think that a solid floor is not the worst idea ever. But, that said, I do want some access just in case. The removeable complete rear floor would be great. If you didn't have stuff like a motor in the way. Exhaust etc. You know, all that sh*t that makes a boat go forward fastly. The boat has not had a motor in so long that it kinda got lost as part of the equation. Til now. I got to have a pretty good laugh at myself as I was cutting the center section of my template out. I am putting in a removeable center floor... So yeah. You are all right.

Tonight, my brother and I hoisted up the motor, replaced the front mounts entirely, and sent the engine over the starboard side.
Due to the way I have planned out my trans mounts, it is extremely tight, and will require some modification. I am not too thrilled about how they set in there and how restrictive it is to being able to align the rear side to side. I am going to have a go at the grinder tomorrow and see what I am able to do. If that works great. If not, I am going to get the mounts (1721) from SkiDim and be done with it. Those will work too, from what I can tell, they are just expensive.
My front mounts are awesome, and are going to be a non-issue.

Awesome:

Not awesome:

Broadside:

Hydraulic seal, please do not fail me:

More later.

JBear, yeah you will. Just a few short weeks !!! Cannot wait !
Mike N

1968 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2009 at 5:30am
Mike we are going to have to talk if you need mounts, I am pretty sure I have the newer style borg warners left over from when I moved to the pcm tranny... have to look to confirm. Either way give me a shout if your thinking you need replacements and dont want to spend two benjis on new ones.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2009 at 12:21pm
will they be tight because of your L brackets?, i have a complete pair of those fronts off a dorf, they are not cheap, knowing my kind nature i would of gave them to you. i do have some backs also, if you are having problems with the backs, there are a couple different ways you can mount to the stringer
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2009 at 12:46pm
It is a combination of the parts I am trying to use that bring all the hardware much closer in to the transmission. I need about 1/8" in each side to fit and this would leave me no lateral adjustment. I can grind a bitr off the weld on the trunion shaft, but am hesitant to do very much there as I do not want to weaken the weld. I may gain that much cutting the ends of the shafts off. They go all the way in and hit the trans at this the moment. I can also grind the inside bottom edge of the actual mount plate and gain that much. The engine sits nearly dead center to the shaft coupler by eye where it is at now.
I still have my old mounts, but due to bolt broken off a ways down in the stringer I am not sure I can use. This is part of the thinking behind the wide plates I am trying to use now. Many mounting points and spread out.
Joe and Eric, can you post pics of the mounts you have?

I appreciate it.

BTW: Eric, +8
Mike N

1968 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2009 at 1:07pm
I have a picture of the type of the old ones
here have to check at the shop later to see what shape I left them in.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2009 at 2:21pm
Joe.

Those appear to be same as the ones on Skidim.
I will post alter as to the success of my modifications.

Btw: Amazing job on your boat. I just read the thread for the second time.

Thanks!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2009 at 8:56pm
i tried and tried to figure out the +8, but i have no idea??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 4:12am
Eric, Beer count.
Seriously dude, you consider yourself a professional? Your estimate of 450 is getting more solid the closer I get. And the further away I get.......
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 11:51am
ah, got it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 12:05pm
I was able to grind down my parts on the rear mounts so I have some room for adjustment. They will work fine. The great irony being that there is no way at all to make the snazzy front ones work. I had them all the way down and still needed to drop the front considerably. The end reult is I am using my original front mounts, and fabbed up rears. Exactly the opposite of what I thought yesterday morning. Dry fit the motor, clamped the rear mounts and marked holes. Motor is back out and all my holes are drilled.
I cut out my floor and will start fitting that in today. I still have to cut notches for my front mounts, and a hole/slot for my exhaust.
Huge props to my brother for all his help this weekend. I could not have done that without him.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 12:10pm
I see you dont have a neutral safety on your trans, if you need one I'll send you the set-up.
somewhere along the lines someone is going to hit the key, it will be in gear at full throttle (usually at the dock when your fetching the truck)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 12:38pm
Hey Eric,

Thank you, that would be great. I do have the lockout pin on the throttle, and ALWAYS use it. Also, back when I got the boat there was a little discussion about it still having a slow forward spin on the prop when in neutral. The only way I can seem to stop it is by shifting into reverse and then slowly going to N. For all these reasons I always pull the lockout pin, and shut the boat off when docked. I assume I need an adjustment in there somewhere. This is the year of the structure for the the boat. Next winter will be motor stuff. Winter after (maybe sooner) will be the exterior. I have a bunch of issues there too. One thing at a time.

I will call you this week. Thank you again.

M
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 12:59pm
Its ALWAYS that one time. trans probably a little tired, no adjustment, when the time comes it sounds like your able to buzz through the trans, you probably have a as1-71c old style with 1 reverse plate. if you are looking to upgrade look for a 10-17-004 it has 2 plates. I see them on e-bay often and usually go in the 150.00 to 200.00 range its worth the money.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 1:14pm
ALWAYS just take that ONE time, too.   My wife and kids use the boat too.

Safety first!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2009 at 3:43pm
A guy did that down at West Branch, local ski hole....he rammed the dock and almost flew out of the boat.
Safety is always first and I only say that cause I use to be the one getting flipped off all the time, you realize later on in life the times that you couldve killed somebody or even hurt yourself on a boat. there are alot of things that can go wrong if you dont pay attention. I said it before, everyone knows somebody that got killed in a boating accident, and the chances are even greater with a ski boat because now you have a man in the water. my worst fear was someone else operating the boat while you are in the water...they panic and are not use to operating the boat as you would....I guess the message would be, be careful and always encourage safety boating classes or pass your knowledge on to whoever is on the boat. alcohol does play a big part in accidents. i drink with the best of them, but not on a boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 12:06am
Got my floor fit in today. Started to epoxy some of them. I need more epoxy. I will soon be on my 4th set. My front board got a little twist on the right side. Pisses me off. I left it unweighted for a couple hours while I was doing something else...

And I got my tranny mounts put in.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 12:38am
Wake - Looks really great!    The only problem might be that you will have to wear sunglasses when you do your shaft alignment.     Quite the impressive bilge finish.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 1:21am
Can't wait Mike. Just talked to Reid tonite..we are all looking forward to the 14th.

Just looked at your pics again...what else can I say..awesome.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 1:45am
Looking good Mike. See John,while you guy's are out having fun in the sun,Mike is making great progress.I knew living in the Great White North was good for something.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 4:04am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I knew living in the Great White North was good for something.

And what would that be?

Been watching the weather...looks like you and northern Ohio got whacked again.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 11:57am
is it just me or are there a couple issues that need addressed? support, 1 X 6 that goes stringer to stringer towards the rear. also with covering the exhaust hoses, doesn't the removable floor panel cover them. Right now there doesn't appear to be any support for the rear center removable floor panel. I'm basing this on the SN is this the way Mustangs where done?

not knocking just wondering if a big oh *************** is in order? nice work and all very clean, just dosn't look like the old SN did.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 12:04pm
Mike, glad you decided on the removable rear panel. One tip though- you may want to consider making the panel wider. If you open up the cavity all the way to the secondary stringers, you can access the exhaust hoses through the panel. You also wont need to add any supports- the main stringers do a nice job of holding the panel up on my Tique. Besides, getting the exhaust hoses through those holes you have cut may be a serious PITA!

The front part of the exhaust cavities are hidden by the motorbox when its closed.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 12:09pm
good illustration Tim did you add the cross support like the SN have to support the front of the rear seat so the floor panel didn't bow?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 12:16pm
Chris these boats are so short that support might end up right over the shaft log, although I have stepped in many that could use some support.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2009 at 12:57pm
I am going to put aluminum angles in there both directions. The main stringers for support was part of my original line of thinking with the single piece rear floor (see my humbling realization commments on the previous page) My exhaust will be all new, and double clamped everywhere. Lasted 40 years with crappy hose and single clamped before. If it ever went out on me, I will have to bust up the floor. I am rolling the dice there, I guess.   As far as installing the hoses, if you look closely, that notch comes out, so I can slide the board down onto them, and then screw that to the stringer. They are under the engine cover so will never be stepped on or anything.
I do have to make the oh s*** list of things to not forget pretty quick here.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 16>
  Share Topic