NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new 2001 and my first!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 23>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 2:14am
No offense Luch but when I do a floor/stringer job on a 25 year old boat I expect more than 5-7 out of the floor and 15-20 out of the stringers.

Anyway Aka... you do seem to be short on the shaft.... I had about 5.25 from the end of the strut to the shaft. Heres what I have...

I am pretty sure its what you have for the cradle brackets/etc.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 2:24am
According to my sources a sport nautique came with a 49.125 shaft, and therefore maybe you dont have the right shaft how far off from the 5.25 are you?

I really aught to get you the dimension from the back of the transmission to the beginning of the log...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

A well done poly job will endure as much as any other if properly cared.

The rule of thumb around here is more or less 5-7 years for floors and 15-20 for a good stringer job, always talking about a properly cared boat.

I've got to agree with Joe that these aren't the greatest numbers. "A well done poly job will endure as much as any other if properly cared" will not last like the epoxy simply because of the hygroscopic problem with poly.

Luch, You must have seen or at least know about hull blistering in your area. It blisters because the poly takes on water. What is done to correct it is grind off the poly gel on the bottom and put on a epoxy barrier coat.

The 5 to 7 year floor is failing from water intrusion. With poly resin, you can't stop it even with the best of care.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 10:36am
I know those are not the greatest numbers for durability, I should have explained myself better

Most repairers here use poly resin, and regular plywood glassed over for floors. few boats are left on the water, but owners really neglect boats around here, that would be storing them with water inside. from there I got my rule of thumb.
My dad's 1978 16' outboard still has the original stringers and has been through 2 floor jobs in it's 31 years and 2000hours of service. In fact, I believe my 80' has the original stringers too.

From what I gather on this forums, you have MANY more and better material to take on this rebuild works, but if you have to pay someone to do a quality job then you're better off buying another boat. Here nobody would take on one of this jobs because it's proportionaly much cheaper to pay someone else do it.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Luch, You must have seen or at least know about hull blistering in your area. It blisters because the poly takes on water. What is done to correct it is grind off the poly gel on the bottom and put on a epoxy barrier coat.

Pete, That is very interesting. My boat was on a trailer for a few years. The trailer was a make shift trailer. The bunk bed were 2x6 covered with carpet. I start noticing some small blisters at the edge of the boat. I think that is were the bunks were in contact with the boat. I always wonder how can I fix that. These are the question I have:

1. What can happen if I use the boat like that?
2. How to match the gelcoat?
3. Do I have to remove all the gelcoat or only part?
4. What I need to do when I remove the gelcoat? How to repair the blister.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 12:44pm
Joe when I measure the shaft is the length of it from the end to end of the flange or where the shaft enters the flange?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 12:51pm
Anthony,
Removal of all the gel is only done with the extreme cases - usually larger boats that are sitting in warmer waters in the harbor all the time. On these larger boats you will typically see bottom paint - it's there as a moisture barrier as well as the anti fouling.

Go to West marine's site and look for their "advisor" on blister repair. Read up on it. For minor blisters, it's really only patching. Sometimes just a gel repair kit. It's on the bottom of the boat so a perfect match isn't really needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 1:35pm
Thanks Pete.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 3:44pm
Joe I think you might be right. I can't get an exact measurement until I pull the engine out but I think the shaft might only be 49.125 inches.

When I push the shaft about 1.5 inches down and get the stop where it was originally the prop fits fine.

On your setup do your trans mounts and engine mounts sit in the same place on the old cradle? Or are your engine mounts further towards the bow?

I have two options. Get a longer shaft (or get my old 82 shaft machined and have some of the length taken off) or put the old trans mounts on and push the engine more towards the rear. The problem with option 2 is I don't think I can get the engine any lower. I am also at the bottom on the trans mounts but since the stringers are going to be replaced I could make them .5" lower.

How do I know if I am throwing off the balance of the boat with the correct engine location? Will 1-2 inches make much of a difference?

If I use the old trans mounts then the engine and trans mounts will line up to the old holes on the cradle.

After putting on the dog house the oil filter hits the inside and the belt is VERY close the the bottom part by the ski pole.

After looking at this I think I am going to put the old trans mounts on, move the engine towards the back about 1.5 inches and then use the 49.2" shaft I have.

I will just have to lower the stringers slightly and put a shim under the engine mount to tilt the engine a little.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 4:31pm
You brother are confusing the heck out of me, I am using the brackets you see in the original holes for the transmission brackets with the 51 inch shaft, if you actually aligned your engine in that location with those brackets you most likely would not run out of adjustment on the bottom I had some room. I would not be able to move my transmission back any with my motor box setup (the original 83 box). The trans already rubs right up against the back floor piece and would interfear with the cover when closed.

For your situation, with the new box it could be that you could move it on back a little bit and use your shorter shaft, maybe, you might push your luck with the exhaust hoses like the last guy. I would not shave the stringers down, they actually need strength, you might need my old transmission mounts which allow you to adjust lower than the later mounts.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 4:48pm
Sorry man! Don't mean to confuse you. I know it is a little hard to write some of this stuff so it make sense. Here is a picture of what I am talking about. You can see that my trans mounts are in the existing holes but the front engine mounts are off. The red arrows are the existing holes where the old engine sat.

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 5:31pm
Well I am going to Cancun on vacation! My first in about 3 years.   So it will give me plenty of time to think about how to move forward.

The guy locally that wants $8500 to do all the work is going to use Vinyl ester not Epoxy. With financial times being hard I am going to opt for the guy that wants to use Polyester to do the work. $3500 is a lot to overlook. If it was only $500 than that would be a no brainer.

I moved the engine towards the back about 1 inch and everything lines up great using the mounts Joe recommended!

Thanks for the help Joe (by the way I was born in upstate NY!)

I think I am going to have the stringers brought down by about half an inch at the transmission mount location and leave the height where the engine mounts are. This will give me just a little more adjustment room with my transmission mounts because right now they are almost bottomed out.

Unless Joe you want to sell me your old mounts?

With the engine moved back by about 1 inch the Doghouse also fits perfectly but if I put on the plastic engine top it hits so I think the floor might need to be a little higher than the old floor or make the bottom part of the doghouse a little the taller. I will let the guy that is going to do the work decide which one.

Do you guys feel I should be concerned with the engine sitting so high on the mounts in the back? Will the boat be to top heavy?

Thanks again for every one's help!

This is how it all fits now.

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2009 at 11:17pm
Well I guess I didn't need my trip to Cancun to think about things! I decided it was time for me to get this party started.

I know many of you can appreciate this scene. I started to remove the rest of the floor by the air box. I was going to leave it in because the foam looked good but man am I glad I decided to take it out!

If I hadn't I would have never met my new friends! I found 3 water roaches living in the saturated foam by the vents. YUCK! The foam was very wet closer to the bottom of the hull and by the vent lines and it was black and nasty!

Since I finally got up the nerve to start the project I feel confident in doing the rest of it. All I have to say is more props to guys that do this for a living! Just removing this part for me was brutal!

Got the wood on order and should be showing up after I get back from my trip!

I tried to be gentle with the air box but that dam thing just didn't want to come out! Guess I will reshaping that when I pour the foam!

I wore a tyvek suit but my freakin arms still itch! Guess I need to wear long sleeve shirts as well :/
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2009 at 11:38pm
AKA - Looks like you are off to a great start. The satisfaction of rebuilding your own boat will be worth it in the long run.

Have a great time in Cancun. Can you rent a tow there?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 3:15am
Not sure! I will let you know.

Can anyone tell me why the stringers start high in the front and have this step down? I don't understand why they are not flush all the way to the front of the cradle.

Are the two separate pieces of ply that are used here different thicknesses?

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 4:21am
I would guess they are high in front and step down due to the floor in front having ply wood instead of being completely foamed. Also, seems like it would step down from bow to stern to allow for drainage? Mine steps down at the same places, just a guess tho.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 2:23pm
AKA,

So did you decide to do the stringers yourself, or are you just taking out the old foam out to prep it to send it out for rebuild? You mentioned that you are ordering the wood so it sounds like you are doing it yourself.

It should be a great boat when you are done.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 3:30pm
Yea I decided to do it myself. Since economical times are tough I thought it would be good to save the money! Plus I wasn't comfortable with the two quotes I got because they wanted to use polyester and not epoxy so figured this way it would be done right!

I can also put some of the money I save into a stereo system and the new paint job.

I guess the step down is because that is 1/8" glass under the bow and then there is a 3/4" piece of ply starting at the step down? So the step down would be 3/4".

Sound about right?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 9:15pm
AKA,

Wise choice on doing it yourself, then you will know exactly what you have in the end.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2009 at 6:52pm
Can anyone point me to a post with pictures where someone has done a plywood floor in a 82-89? I know what it should look like from skibums and BFNs post but I can't seem to find a post where someone did a ply floor. I need to decide to to do glass over foam or ply and inject it. I would assume the lateral supports from the secondaries to the hull wouldn't be required if I do ply.

Thanks!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 9:05am
BuffaloBFN is the man you need to talk to. Have you looked at his thread "weeding the pumpkin patch" . He restored his 88 BFN and documented EVERYTHING! He is an inspiration to us all.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 9:21am
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

BuffaloBFN is the man you need to talk to. Have you looked at his thread "weeding the pumpkin patch" . He restored his 88 BFN and documented EVERYTHING! He is an inspiration to us all.

While thats true, Greg didnt use a plywood floor like AKA is considering. I havent seen anyone document that, but JoeinNY is probably the closest- he didnt refoam his '83 when he rebuilt it with coosa. Id take a look at his pictures.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 1:19pm
Yes I have. It was very impressive work. Especially the wood working! I wish I had half those skills. I have read his, eric's and skibums threads about 30 times each and have all the pictures stored on my computer. He also did glass over foam. I was just trying to see how one would do a plywood sub floor. Specifics like the gap between the floor and the hull. I just want to weigh my options and both Skibum and Buffalo did it the same way so I have nothing to compare the other technique to.

Buffalo I saw the othe rpost where you said you foam again if you redid it and I am absolutely going to foam. I just am still in the air if I want to do a plywood sub floor and inject the foam or pour it and lay ply over it, OR pour it and put glass on top.

Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 1:49pm
AKA, where I ran strips of 3/4" ply to the back, it would be easy enough to make it solid. Most of the front of mine is ply.

There's another thread from some time ago where FINNS posted the injected ply meathod.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 2:15pm
AKA,
I do feel that Joe's Coosa board thread is the best example you will find here on using a hard surface floor rather than glassing. I go ether way but prefer the ply and foam injection. I've injection many a board foot of foam and feel it' more economical because of less waste. Plus, in a enclosed cavity it skins over at all the outside edges providing just a little extra moisture resistence.

With the ply bonded to the stringers, you don't need the 1X cross members.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 11:03pm
There would be a weight difference; a little heavier with the ply. I think it might also be tough with the batch meathod.

I filled the cavity in front of my bilge by pouring through a hole, and it can be tricky making sure no voids are left.

1988 BFN-sold

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

Not sure! I will let you know.

Can anyone tell me why the stringers start high in the front and have this step down? I don't understand why they are not flush all the way to the front of the cradle.

Are the two separate pieces of ply that are used here different thicknesses?

In the original construction, moving from bow to stern:
Stringer starts high because fiberglass is directly over foam. First step down is to accommodate the plywood in the floor under the drivers and observers seat. The ply is there so that there is something to screw the seats to. You could remove the ply and replace with another material (joe used coosa), but you need some thickness because the floor extends, unsupported from the batter box back to the engine compartment.
Second step down is to accommodate the engine and cradle. Would sit too high if flush to the floor.

For those who have run plywood throughout, the need to drop the stringer height, by the thickness of the plywood wherever they intend to install plywood flooring instead of just fiberglass over foam.
If doing the entire floor, the entire outside stringer would need be dropped, and portions of the main stringers would need to be dropped.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 2:19am
Since Buffalo and Bill both glassed over foam I think I am going to go that route.   I would prefer to go with a method that is fully documented like their posts and Bill's site is instead of guessing.

I have a few questions if you guys don't mind!

1. I don't have my battery box. Would it be an issue to not sink the battery in the floor and just strap it to the floor next to the air box?

2. How many vent lines and what size need to go from the bow to the bilge and can I use PVC for the vent lines instead of flexible hose? Remember I have a more powerful PCM 330HP engine so I assume it will need more air that the original engine but probably the same as Buffalo's 454. He has 3 vents but it looks like Bill has 2 so I assume 3 would be sufficient?

3. I am using a sawzall and angle grinder to get the floor out and remove all the edges. To knock down to the original glass is the best method to use a orbital sander with 60 grit? Buffalo is that how you knocked the white coating off in the bilge?

4. When I get down to the glass and I am ready to apply new glass to the old glass do I need to wipe down the old glass with acetone first or is that just for new resin that has set for more than 24 hours?

5. Buffalo you used plywood fir for all your wood work? I am using fir for the stringers and have read several posts on marine ply and regular but I figured if I am going to order the fir on Monday I might as well get 3/4" fir ply for the floor if that is the best material to use!

I am going to level the boat tomorrow and get the rest of the glass out as I wait for supplies.

Thanks for everyones help! I really appreciate it!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 3:01am
Joe, In regards to my number 1 above I was just looking through your post and saw you had two blue tops which is what I want to do. It looks like your battery box you built is part of the bilge? Is that right? Did you strap down your batteries? I like the idea of making the battery compartment and the bilge all one area. Any issues with that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 23>
  Share Topic