NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wisconsin politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2011 at 10:44am
legal mob protection, no wonder companies leave town and set up in cornfields.
this reminds me of when CEI took over Ohio Edison, the first wave of buy-outs the guys roughly got 650k, the greedy bastards who waited another 2 years for the bigger pay day got 20k
"the things you own will start to own you"
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2011 at 2:34pm
Well, now walker sounds like he is willing to compromise a little.

We will see......
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2011 at 10:36pm
I saw one of the lost dems quoted this week as saying "Walker needs to do his job." This from someone who has left the state and is obstructing the process of any budget related legislation. Do they even think before they open their big mouths?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2011 at 12:28am
I think another idiot is the dumb @ss Michael Moore... I see he is in Madison claiming the wealthy have overreached taking the working class' money..

Heres another quirp about him ...

In his new movie, Michael Moore calls capitalism evil and argues that it should be replaced by democracy, basically flipping the current arrangement so that the economy serves our political ends.

He seams to forget that this is GOVERNMENT money and that most of them are broke.. It is NOT a private company.

This coming from someone worth 50 million?
What a LOSER...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2011 at 12:38am
It seems few politicians understand economics. It is like money to them is monopoly money and they can just pass go and get another billion dollars, so many have never had a real job or they have been in office so long they dont remember what it is like to earn a living. My local democrat state representative stopped by my house three election cycles ago, with a brochure showing all the things he had done for me listed on it. I pointed out that in each case he had taken money from me to do what he thought I wanted rather than let me spend it on what I know I need. I have not seen him since.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2011 at 9:52am
I hear that plague might be heading to Ohio.
Its very hard to discuss unions with union memebers, its alot easier though when they lose their jobs.
as i go through life i have figured out that nobody owes you a thing, I really think the unions make people anti-company and i dont think a person could be as good as he can be with a backstop
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 12:33am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

I saw one of the lost dems quoted this week as saying "Walker needs to do his job." This from someone who has left the state and is obstructing the process of any budget related legislation. Do they even think before they open their big mouths?

If you flip the coin, that congressman is doing his job by making walker negotiate. Less people approve of the way walker is handling this whole deal than any other poll you can find on both sides.

You can look at it either way, if you want
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 2:18am
Yes you can chose to justify what you wish, but the govenor however unpopular is working within the rules, He is not required to negotiate, the state has a constitution and I would bet it says something about spending bills being proposed, brought to the floor and then being voted on. I would also bet thet the congressmen took an oath swearing to abide by the state constitution and its rules of procedure. I would further hazard to guess that it does not say the govenor must negotiate with the minority party or that the system can be hijacked and held for ransom by the minority party. Certainly the whole state is well aware of the issues invovled at this point. The govenor can choose to drop the bill or the republicans can chose to vote against it, but they cannot act on the budget till the dems go home. You keep mentioning polls, are they mentioned as a determining factor in your states leislation process? if polls were a determining factor we would not have obama care, and if negotiating were reguired Nancy P would not have been able to tell us we can see what is in the bill after we pass it. This bill may or may not effect me, most likely not, so I have no stake in the game, as an observer I see one side doing anything to lie, cheat or steal thier to get their way, It sets a bad precedence. Imagine how the military would function if officers used this tactic, or how a corpotation would perform if groups of management could hold up decision making. Only in government do you see this type of childish behavior with no consequence.
1987 Ski Nautique

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 2:49am
Dave, it's the governor's responsibility to represent the people in his state. That's what the polls show.

The people of WI have been telling walker that his bill is not what the people want.

As far as this not affecting you, or any non Wisconsinite, I would say that whatever happens here will set precedent across the country.

I am not a union worker, and as you probably have seen, am not pro union. I just don't like walker's childish behavior of name calling and all the other unwise choices of words and actions he has done that are embarrassing that are shown on a national level due to the gravity of the situation. Walker's lack of a college degree are really coming to the forefront in this situation.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 3:42am
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Dave, it's the governor's responsibility to represent the people in his state.

I am not a union worker

Walker's lack of a college degree are really coming to the forefront in this situation.

Tom, You are correct about the govenors responsibilities but which people is he to represent? he obviously will not be able to please everyone and to me that is not his job. His job it to run the state and represent the tax payers that fund its operations. You may be surprised to learn that I was very recently a union employee. Like most organizations I found the union was out for what was best for the union, and showed very little concern for the individual or the viability of the businesses that employeed its members. I see an inherent conflict of interest when unions represent government employees. The relationship is to "cozy" when those making the rules are represented by an organization that they should be governing. The unions in tern raise millions to donate to campains and lobby for bigger government. I think govenor walker has a good grasp on this and is willing to make the unpopular decisions that are necesary to maintain the health of the state.. I do not see a college degree as a guarantee of good judgment, I have seen idiots with masters degrees and brilliant high school drop outs.
1987 Ski Nautique

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 10:41am
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Dave, it's the governor's responsibility to represent the people in his state. That's what the polls show.

The people of WI have been telling walker that his bill is not what the people want.

Polls are usually a bunch of crap IMO. They're always worded to show one side or the other. Regardless, did Walker campaign with this as one of his agendas? If so, when the people of Wisconsin voted him into office, they gave their approval of his plan and that's the only "poll" that matters. If he has deviated from the agendas advertised in his campaign, and the people of Wisconsin think he's wrong, then guess what, they can vote someone else in when his term is up.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 11:23am
Tom, I keep letting myself get dragged into the merits of each side of this issue, but my main concern is for the process, which is more important than any give issue. The process needs to be honored and protected because it is the foundation on which this country and individual states were built and it is what continues to support them and keep them standing. I feel the democrats are showing contempt for that process, which in the long run will be destructive.
1987 Ski Nautique

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 1:10pm
I get tired of the "party politics" everything always comes down to Dems vs Repubs. I think they get so hung up in this battle that often the real issues take a back seat.

Maybe the parties should be eliminated and everyone runs as independent, voted in by popular vote.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 4:18pm
I am biased, but from everything I have read and personally witnessed it is Walker who shows contempt for the democratic process. I believe if you were here in Wisconsin you would be much more aware of this fact, and perhaps your opinion of the situation would be swayed. Coverage by the national media concerning the true strong-arm tactics of Walker and the pernicious nature of this "budget repair" bill has been lack-luster at best.

I have seen both Walker and his supporters in the state legislature outright lie about a host of things including the details of the bill and the types and nature of the demonstrators here. While you may disagree with the Democrats fleeing the state the fact is that had they not a bill that is overwhelmingly not supported by Wisconsinites would have been law weeks ago. If the vote in November were the only thing that matters, then why are we able to contact our representative and those in government in the interim? Also, Walker did NOT campaign on these measures, though he DID say he would be tough on unions. I think it is clear from the backlash that had voters known how tough he was going to be he never would have been elected. Remember, he has only been in office a couple of months now.
"The only prudence in fishermen is that designed to set the stage for taking yet another, and perhaps a longer, chance." -Aldo Leopold
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 4:58pm
It needs to be like it is in TX, "Right to Work". Thus, do your job and you good. Get paid well, but you dont perform there is the door! Screw this union and paying un-godly amounts of settlements to workers that ar not worth it. Thats why they are where they are now. Broke! To much union..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 6:30pm
From what I read above, the Reps or Dems or Ind should all do what ever
they can think of to stop bills from passing that they do not agree with.

If it is not "on your agenda" do every thing in your power to keep it
from being passed. Legal or not....

I do not think that this is what our writers of the Constitution, both
country and state, had in mind.

I am not saying that I agree with Walker and his agenda.. But I am for
this countries, and its individual states, laws.

You may not agree with Walker but he and many others were "Elected" by
the people of Wi. If it was a mistake, he can be voted out next election and they can have their way with the agenda.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Hansel Hansel wrote:

Also, Walker did NOT campaign on these measures, though he DID say he would be tough on unions. I think it is clear from the backlash that had voters known how tough he was going to be he never would have been elected.

In my view if he campaigned on getting tough on unions, and he got elected, then that's what the people wanted. Of course nobody knew the specifics of how it would happen, I'm sure Walker didn't know himself at the time. But he advertised getting tough on unions, and cutting cost. The people of WI as a whole voted him in on this "vision" if you want to call it that. I'm not saying what he's doing is right or wrong, but to me it seems like to me he's at least pursuing the vision on which he campaigned on.

I don't put a whole lot of weight towards all the "backlash" either. Of course the union employees are protesting, why wouldn't they? They have the most to lose, so of course they'll be there. But don't be too quick to apply their attitudes towards the rest of the state's, regardless of what those "polls" show. Wait till re-election time, and you'll see whether or not the majority of people approve of this.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

You may not agree with Walker but he and many others were "Elected" by the people of Wi. If it was a mistake, he can be voted out next election and they can have their way with the agenda.

Exactly
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 7:31pm
Not to get too far off track here, but to show how stupid things have gotten,

a few years ago we bid to supply cabinetry to the county health department in the county where I live. I have worked with the non-union contractor doing the labor on the project for years. On this job he had to pay "prevailing wages" (???) and RAISE his normal hourly rate by aprox 15-20%, as well as all of the sub-contractors he hired..(plumbers, electricians, roofers, masnory,etc)

Reason?...

There were state and federal grants to help pay for the project. Tell me how it can be justified by ANYONE to pay more for any project, yet alone a public one? It is OUR TAX MONEY PAYING FOR IT!!!!

To insult the situation even more, He had to open his books to the union to prove the wages being payed....Even tho he complied with the wages, the union still had pickets up during most of the project.

What is wrong with this picture?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 8:17pm
To succinctly state my position; I think there is a good chance that if you were here in Wisconsin, and even agreed in principle that collective bargaining is not something that should be preserved, you would see the absurdity in what Walker is doing and you might even be against it. Notice I did not say against the ends, but the means. The means have not been effective or proper. You could argue a similar point about the senators leaving the state. I think they in their minds they are fighting fire with fire and based on what I have seen in the bill I and many others here in Wisconsin believe that is appropriate.

As to the backlash, that is exactly how I would characterize it. I am not sure if you have seen photos or video of how immense the protests were and are, but if you were here I again believe that you would characterize it as such. It is true that unions are involved in the protests. But I would venture a guess that up to 50% of the people who show up to the protests are non-union. This is an issue of fair and functional government as much as it is about union rights. Everybody here in Wisconsin has a stake in the outcome, not just union workers. I am not inherently pro-union. But I am against government run amok, and that is exactly what this is.

You may not realize it but just a small bit of things that are also included in the bill are;

-Handing over an array of powers from the legislature to the executive branch (oversight of finances and Medicade are two examples)
-Removing government regulations that protect bodies of water
-No-bid contracts for the operation of state-owned power plants
-De-funding programs that assist in access to contraception

This bill is not a budget repair bill. It is a Christmas list of the far right wing. Wisconsinites are seeing through it and they are not happy.

"The only prudence in fishermen is that designed to set the stage for taking yet another, and perhaps a longer, chance." -Aldo Leopold
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 2:42am
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

You may not agree with Walker but he and many others were "Elected" by the people of Wi. If it was a mistake, he can be voted out next election and they can have their way with the agenda.

Exactly

Or recalled before that time.

I'll not comment anymore because it's my B day. I have Jack to drink:)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 10:06am
I know a ton of guys that would be willing to relocate to Wisconsin to replace the BM's, and would be more than happy to take half of the wages.
treading on thin ice when the job market is so saturated, even in todays standards in a non union workplace, you need a damn good reason to fire an employee, if you even play grab ass, the employer is the protector
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Hansel Hansel wrote:

To succinctly state my position; I think there is a good chance that if you were here in Wisconsin, and even agreed in principle that collective bargaining is not something that should be preserved, you would see the absurdity in what Walker is doing and you might even be against it. Notice I did not say against the ends, but the means. The means have not been effective or proper. You could argue a similar point about the senators leaving the state. I think they in their minds they are fighting fire with fire and based on what I have seen in the bill I and many others here in Wisconsin believe that is appropriate.

As to the backlash, that is exactly how I would characterize it. I am not sure if you have seen photos or video of how immense the protests were and are, but if you were here I again believe that you would characterize it as such. It is true that unions are involved in the protests. But I would venture a guess that up to 50% of the people who show up to the protests are non-union. This is an issue of fair and functional government as much as it is about union rights. Everybody here in Wisconsin has a stake in the outcome, not just union workers. I am not inherently pro-union. But I am against government run amok, and that is exactly what this is.

You may not realize it but just a small bit of things that are also included in the bill are;

-Handing over an array of powers from the legislature to the executive branch (oversight of finances and Medicade are two examples)
-Removing government regulations that protect bodies of water
-No-bid contracts for the operation of state-owned power plants
-De-funding programs that assist in access to contraception

This bill is not a budget repair bill. It is a Christmas list of the far right wing. Wisconsinites are seeing through it and they are not happy.

Jamin;

You are quite articulate, and state your positions well. You are obviously young, and very well educated. However, as articulate as you may be, one thought comes to mind. No matter how much pretty red lip stick you put on a pig, its still a pig.

Yes, we have seen all the protesters in Madison. The pressure is quite intense. You know that when Jesse Jackson, and Michael Moore all show up, there must be trouble in nirvana.

The unions see that the hog troughs filled quite generously with taxpayer dollars are starting to be cleared out. Its a new day in this country and the citizens are waking up to this corrupt relationship, and want changes. Thats why Walker was elected as governor. Thats why there is a majority in the Assembly and Senate in Wisc.

But, the hogs still squeal.....louder than ever. Of course they do. Its only natural. They see their cozy relationship with the democrat lawmakers in jeopardy. You cannot continue to have two sides of the bargaining parties sitting on the same side of the table. Private unions are different. They have, as example, Ford mgt. sitttng across the table from the UAW. Not so with the public unions.    

Should the government do everything for us?

State owned power plants?? Heck, the government can't even deliver a letter efficiently, let along run a power plant. Sell the darn thing and make it run profitably and efficiently.   

Contraceptives?? Come on, go on down to Walgreen's and buy a condom, or the pill. Do I have to pay for EVERYTHING?

What ever happened to personal responsibility?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 11:56am
Like Charlie the weirdo sheen, part the movie union. I do not know the name of it, but the union is not going to stick up for him. Just miles well go ahead and not have unions. If they get invovled in that in federal court freenzy it will make unions look like crap. And all it is for to high pay salaries and tax payers have to pay for it.

The govenor is doing a good job. As we all know we have to run our on budgets at home. We take a look at where our money goes, and we make decisions to quit spending in some areas every year. So as he, and he picked the right area to cut. Will save the state budget and taxpayers alot of money down the road.

Critter- great point..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 12:01pm
Sorry to go off point here, but seriously? What is the illegal situtation up north? midwest? east coast etc? Where getting flooded down here in tx. It is getting worse with the borders down here...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2011 at 1:21am
Republicans end run for a touch down, no defense on the field ,all out of state.
1987 Ski Nautique

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2011 at 1:24am
may not be legal though..

pending booth review
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2011 at 1:26am
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

The govenor is doing a good job.

Not in the eyes of the majority of the people of the state of Wi.

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2011 at 2:11am
Per Senate Rule 93 (2) this was legal...

Senate Rule 93 (2)
   (2) A notice of a committee meeting is not required other than posting on the legislative bulletin board, and a bulletin of committee hearings may not be published.

Link to Wi Senate Rules

The Internet is great isn't it...
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2011 at 2:22am
I shudder to think what type of person would support Walker now. As I have said MANY times before, EVEN IF you agree with the ends how can you justify these means? Just imagine how pissed you would be if Democrats did this? If you would be mad in that case you should at the very least have sympathy for those that oppose this bill. Otherwise you are nothing but a petty hypocrite.

Sorry for the strong words, but you simply cannot have it both ways.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic