NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mission: You Wanna What? [LOL]

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
Author
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 4:32pm
2 ten pound bags of ice + 48 twelve ounce beers in a ice chest works well. Just saying.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 4:35pm
...or was that 72 beers? I love pilot testing!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 6:32pm
OKAY!!!

I just got off the phone with Steve at LSM Engineering. I asked Steve about a righty cam for a Chrysler 440.

After he stopped laughing, he explained that the minimum order for a righty cam is three. So I will pay for...THREE...even if I only need ONE.

The cost is $2,000.00(USD).

If I can find TWO more that want a righty hyd roller cam for a Chrysler RB big block, we can split the $2K and it comes out to $666.66(USD) each.

That's.....$666.66(USD).

Anybody want a roller cam for their 440? Spread the word!!!
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 6:47pm
I bet you could sell each for a grand then have yours free. would it fit any other bb mopars?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 6:54pm
My wallet is pretty thin trying to finish BBC RH build but I would like to have a RH Chrysler big block roller on shelf for future build.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 7:02pm
Interesting! They never mentioned minimum quantities to me. Maybe they figured the market for RH roller SBF's and BBC's is big enough to hold onto some residual stock? No one else must be building RH Chryslers anymore, ha.

Did he say that all 3 specialty cams had to be the same? Or could the 3 cam minimum be a mix and match of different brands and engines?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 7:07pm
They will fit any B/RB motor. 361/383/413/426/440. Excluding 426 Hemi.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I bet you could sell each for a grand then have yours free. would it fit any other bb mopars?

I am not trying to get anything out of it, I'm just not going to eat $1,333.32 for two cam blanks.

Steve said mine would be ground to spec, the other two could be hyd roller blanks.

Zach says they will fit any B/RB block except for the 426 Hemi (It's SPECIAL ).
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Interesting! They never mentioned minimum quantities to me. Maybe they figured the market for RH roller SBF's and BBC's is big enough to hold onto some residual stock? No one else must be building RH Chryslers anymore, ha.

$5 says Joe will want one for his 426... thats the first person Id talk to.

Did he say that all 3 specialty cams had to be the same? Or could the 3 cam minimum be a mix and match of different brands and engines?

Does Joe run a Wedge or a Hemi?
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2013 at 9:10pm
Just started a new thread for the Hyd Roller Cams, guys...just FYI
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 1:21am
A thought just occurred to me...I am going to need a co-pilot to monitor gauges and the GPS so I can confirm that my SW will kick Joe and Tim's butt!!!
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 1:24am
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

My wallet is pretty thin trying to finish BBC RH build but I would like to have a RH Chrysler big block roller on shelf for future build.

Let me know your money schedule, brother.

I'll keep you on the list.
1974 Southwind 20
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Tonali_III Tonali_III wrote:

A thought just occurred to me...I am going to need a co-pilot to monitor gauges and the GPS so I can confirm that my SW will kick Joe and Tim's butt!!!

Just line em up, saves all the fancy gadgets
Brian
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 11:38am
i might jump into that line up I wonder how i would fare
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 11:45am
Peter, if my orange boat is running by then I will jump in as well!

Oh what prop are you running on your Skylark?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 11:53am
its wrapped for the winter and i forget but will look for you soon
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 12:06pm
That's fine thanks. That thing probably wont get in the water until mid summer. The barn isnt heated so I doubt we will work on it until it warms up a bit. It will be good to know a starting point. What are you turning wot?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 12:29pm
12x15 OJ Peter?

Tony, youve got so much to learn... you need a half way decent hand held GPS that captures top speed.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 1:16pm
I think so Tim   I think i was probably turning 53 or 5400??   not sustainable though he he
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 1:31pm
Dangggggg Peter haha. I am shooting for 4800-5000. The Chebbies do like to turn some more RPM. I did not balance this motor and I selected a camshaft that should make peak power around 5000 rpm's but I will see what she likes when its actually moving under it's own power.

It's a .030 over 350 with Vortec heads a 3 angle valve job and flat top pistons. The cam is in the 260-270 advertised duration area and .450ish lift (cam card is at home). Clevite 77 bearings throughout. Summit dual plane aluminum intake with 600 Marine Holley. Pcm Manifolds are the plan. Put it together with budget being the main driving factor.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 1:41pm
Which motorbox you have in the Skylark, Zach? I wouldnt think that the PCM pyramids on a 350 would fit under the swoopy gelcoat box. I know they just squeak under when installed on a 302 (351w is a no-go).
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 1:46pm
A 78 Sn box :(. Original was gone and we picked that one up for less than 80 bucks. It's getting orange vinyl and cream piping on the edges. Same with the rest of the interior. the side pods and hull sides got cream vinyl.

Have a set of Glenwood logs but they are to wide for the box.

What are your thoughts on the cam spec and RPM range Timmy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

Originally posted by Tonali_III Tonali_III wrote:

Just line em up, saves all the fancy gadgets

I was referring to having someone monitor systems while I have my eyes outside the cockpit watching the water.

From my flying experience, things happen mighty fast close to the ground at high speeds...sometimes you don't even see what you hit, you just hear a "THUMP" and go "Oh Shi...take mushrooms!"
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

12x15 OJ Peter?

Tony, youve got so much to learn... you need a half way decent hand held GPS that captures top speed.

Thanks, Tim.

Perhaps you could ride along and be my instructor?

After all, I am trainable.

I have some high speed experience...does 120MPH rotation speeds in a twin engine Beech Baron count?
1974 Southwind 20
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

A 78 Sn box :(. Original was gone and we picked that one up for less than 80 bucks. It's getting orange vinyl and cream piping on the edges. Same with the rest of the interior. the side pods and hull sides got cream vinyl.

Have a set of Glenwood logs but they are to wide for the box.

What are your thoughts on the cam spec and RPM range Timmy?

Wow, Im surprised that the glenwoods wont fit under that box... its fairly wide- CC used it over all 350/351w's through '82. Those Glenwoods must be a little oddball? If you really wanted to use them, you could widen the box... had to do this on the BFN (we raised it as well). Its not a big deal if youre covering it with vinyl.

I dont know jack about small block Chevies, I cant comment on the cam specs. It seems on the small side for a similar cubic inch Ford (351w) but I think bowties tend to use smaller cams? Probably due to better flowing factory heads?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 3:01pm
I know. My dad did all the measurments and I might try to fit them under it while he isn't looking ;).Had I had my way the motor would have been in the boat 2 years ago. Dad and I usually disagree in the barn which makes for some interesting conversation!!! ha. The motor is on a stand so we could just screw em on the motor and drop the box over it.

With the lack of go fast parts and balancing I didn't want to put something together that would spin much over 5000 if at all. Also when I started the build with budget in mind I was limited to that lift or lower because factory non vortec heads require the valve guide bosses to be machined down to run higher lift or the or the retainers will run into the bosses/guides. I happened across this set of vortec heads from a 160 hour boat. (I lied I forgot I didn't do a valve job because I pulled them off a SBC hop up I did for a friend in a Baja). Picked up 10 mph still banging the rev limiter with a 25 pitch prop ;).
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 7:05pm
my edlebrocks just barely fit but with the look they have I would do anything to make them if they didnt .
Zach mine is just a stock 5.7 merc with an alum intake and marine carb D.U.I ignition. I am sure Your conversion will out perform mine . these are little boats with some real bad tendencies , if i were doing another one I would build it for holeshots and 1/8 mile blasts and nothing else even at that once its up to top end range be very careful
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 7:37pm
Peter, Im not sure if we ever figured out why your boat behaved so badly at the limit... too bad we only crossed paths briefly in NH (NE '11). No doubt some of those hulls run more planted than others, which can lead to some scary stuff. Not all of them do it, though- Ive driven a few of Reids good for 56-57, and while theyre a blast for sure, didnt do anything dangerous.

By "stock Merc 5.7" does that mean ~260hp? Or 300hp? Those Eddies are nice looking manifolds, and you fit them under the narrower glass motorbox, so my guess is Zach should be able to fit his Glenwoods.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 7:43pm
Tim it was the 300 so maybe it is a bit hotter than stock but it could be less with the injection gone?   I really believe it is the hook in the hull   if i wasnt going to finally really push to sell i would grind it out of it . if i cant get what i want i will try it .
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 7:45pm
Peter, I've listened to all your previous warnings believe me me haha. I figure with vortec heads good intake and that cam I should be in the 320-340 hp range. Close to a stock Apex performance. Limiting factor being the small thru hull exhausts(not sure how much that hurts). I hope it behaves nicely like Reids boats. High 50's potential? maybe knocking at 60??? Maybe the small hull does not like the driver on the left and the prop spinning left?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
  Share Topic