NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#2 trailer work

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 14>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2010 at 12:20am
That stuff seems like a great deal for my application. I didn't see any weather conditions for application? We are getting down into the low 30's with high's in the 50's. I am going to get that trailer at the end of the week so I can get the Chris Craft up to Wisconsin.

What did you use for their preparation products?
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2010 at 3:14am
It likes about 60% humidity. The cold it'll take a little longer to cure. 60'F is ideal for it.

They say to use the Marine Clean and Metal Ready for the cleaning. I've not used those to date.
Like I said earlier, I'm not out to have a 'Perfect Piece'. It's gonna be used--not entered in any shows--well maybe a few
But as long as I got some of the Louisana Rust off of it, I'll be happy with it.
Can't wait to pull it around when finished to see what all the 'Hype' is about !
I'm still reluctant to give up the old tubular tandem trailer I've had since 1971 though. With the few mods I did to it, you can drive the boat on that trailer with 10' swells and it stays put.
Never had to tie it down on the trailer neither.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2010 at 2:08pm
I'm going to have to order some this week. High for the week is 50, so I may have to take it to the warehouse to paint! Here is the newest addition to our stable... it's going to become a bar this winter!

Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

you can drive the boat on that trailer with 10' swells and it stays put.
Never had to tie it down on the trailer neither.

All possible with a #2!

I never tie mine down and never have problems loading. I think the higher springs actually help center the boat on the trailer because the bunks sit at a less severe angle when you back it into the water. More of the bunk contacts the hull thus helping center the trailer.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2010 at 2:08pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2010 at 2:10pm
Looking Good Marty!

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2010 at 2:13pm
Hey guys, In my last pic, the round pipe bracing, my 12' board comes all the way to it. Is this right or do I need to shorten the board? My #2 is only 16' long total.That's gonna leave no room for a mounting position for my bump board is it?
66 Skylark
93 SN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2010 at 2:50pm
Marty, they stop before. take a look at this pic of tim's #2 for reference
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2010 at 3:25pm
Looks fantastic Marty! When are we doing mine? My bunks are exactly as above. They stop right at the front reflectors.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2010 at 3:41pm
Keeg, Go outside and measure the length for me, then take one of your rear guide poles off so I can bend mine. Let me know when I can swing by and get it. We might have to go look at that Barracuda again so I can get pics of that low bow stop and measurements.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2010 at 4:11pm
The bunks are 10 feet long and I have 40" from the front of the bunk to the bow stop. which puts it in front of the round cross member, but we probably will have to get a measurement for that because I have the poles in the front so they are stopping on the rub rails putting it several inches forward.

2 bolts to remove that pole any time is good for me. Just hanging round the house today working on some odds and ends. Come on over!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 12:04am
Got 1 coat on the #2 today. Man, that stuff is wicked! It is thin, drips of the brush, but acts like it expands when it's drying. Got a few runs from not going back over and smoothing them out. I had a shop heater blowing on it and me until the Kerosene ran out.Went back over a few places and that 2nd coat really smooths things out.
I would say that this Quart is gonna be close. I might need another at a later date!

My suggestion on this method---Make sure you have an enclosed place to work on it, with a constant 60'F. In other words, don't try in the middle of winter.
Do in a shop, treat as any other paint job, but this is way more forgiving. I'd almost say, to thin it some- which you can- and shoot it- if you have the means. This would make for a Baby's Butt Slick Paint job. Hard as a rock too.

Hoping I can finish it tomorrow, and it won't look too bad. Either way, it's got a durable finish on it now-- all for less than $50 so far in 1 pint of semi-gloss black POR-15, 1 can of POR-15 Etching Primer-spray- 1 sheet of 360 sandpaper, 1 quart of Flex-Cote White-- 4 -36 grit sanding discs.
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 1:01pm

Kinda not liking the idea of painting the springs now. Whatcha think? Axle, springs, hubs, --Silver, Gray, Black ????
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 3:43pm
Well guys, I'm guess I'm done. Ran out of paint. Didn't do the underside of the fenders. Didn't do the jack. Still give me your thoughts on the springs, etc.
Second guessing myself on doing this now, but if you truely know me, I have to do these projects when I think about them ASAP.
At least it has some coating on it, other then that Bayou Rust--No offense BoatDr. As you knew it needed a little TLC. At least it'll look like the Skylark now- old and rugged and a little crappy

66 Skylark
93 SN
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 4:37pm
Looks great to me Marty!

1973 Skier
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 8:24pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 9:44pm
Marty - Looks great - after you back it in a few times the lake scum covers up any blemishes!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2010 at 8:39am
Marty,
The Skylack will be proud sitting on a original!! Looks great!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 6:54pm
Marty, where'd you get the fenders?
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 10:02pm
Fenders came with the trailer. Frame, axle,jack,fenders,tires and wheels, all came with the trailer. No bunks, no guide poles, no bow bump board.
So as it sits now, is the way it came from the BoatDr and Nurse- cause it was really hers--it just has the Louisana Rust off it and the fresh coats of POR-15 Products.
In the process of bending the guide poles--courtesy of the Keegan, and figuring out my bow stop. Might do mine differently. Probably build 2 triangles out of 1" angle iron, drill holes in the channel and bolt it on then hang the spare tire carriers I'm building to go on both sides.
That way when the Chrome Correct Craft Decals I got made up go on, there's no u-bolt clamps covering them up
Who's got the angle on the bow stop, that I need ? Or it'll probably have to wait for the boat to be on there huh?
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 11:42pm
I put POR-15 on my 'screw' for the hitch on the trailer. I didn't like it. So 78 yr old Dad helps Sunshine Racing Auto Repair next to us at CarQuest, so I tell him to sandblast it for me. He tells me the next day- the sandblasting didn't even blow a flake off! Says that POR-15 is as hard as a young man's ----- well you know He had to put it on the grinder-brush and get most off it off ,then they put it in Carb cleaner. Guess I'll have to wait till Monday to see how it turns out.

So in the meantime I got my plaque guy to make this for the #2. This is -by what I'm told a 70's version of a Metal ID Trailer Tag. The earlier version doesn't have a place for the Date and is worded a little different. But good enough for me.
Anyone want one made up for their #2 ??

66 Skylark
93 SN
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 11:51pm
I would love one!!!   That looks great.
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 12:11am
Marty,

That trailer looks great. WOW.

Is that plate metal or a sticker? I do not have a #2, but I may want you to make me one.

Where is the Purple or Pink ?

Donald
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 12:32am
It's a Metal plate that you would Pop-rivet on, and also stamp your vin # on.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 12:47am
Marty,

Can you get me one? I want one. I will try to send you the pictures of the spare tire setup on my trailer just for ideas.

Thanks,

Donald
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 1:00am
Marty, I would love one of those. Let me know how much!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 1:12am
Here's GaryS's tag on his trailer. So his being a 60's model, you see the difference. But the tag I got made will suit me fine. I can get the earlier version made for those who wants one.
You'll have to drill your own holes in it and your trailer and stamp it too, if you want. Or I can stamp it for you.
Guess I could get these made and shipped for $20. OK, with everyone?

66 Skylark
93 SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 1:14am
Marty,

$20.00 is fine. Your new style is fine. Does that include installation? LOL !!!!!!

Just let me know when you have one.

Thanks,

Donald
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 2:34am
Marty, if its not any trouble, a 60's one would be great, otherwise the 70's one would work too. $20 is great. Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 8:58am
Marty,
You couldn't find a more appropriate set of trailer lights? You've been sticking to the original restoration but now?????

They are made!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 11:33am
I thought about that too Pete,but went with the LED's also.Being on the road every day watching people drive makes you wonder.The LED's seem brighter and supposedly come on faster.I like them because they are sealed.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 14>
  Share Topic