NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 24>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 10:18am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, try a Milwaukee. With that 16 grit wheel, you are doing some HD hogging!!!

I think so. My cordless drill is a milwaukee and has been going for about 6 years.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 10:20am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I think you jinxed me cause my 1/2 dewalt bit the bullet yesterdy

I bet you got a lot more use out of yours?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:10pm
I have had good luck with the craftsman ones, it was the 60 dollar model but often on sale for 50. I bought one as a back up for my dewalt so I wasnt always switching wheels, it had more power and outlasted the dewalt so next time it went on sale I bought two more. I leave one flap disk, one grinding disk, and one cutting disk unless I am welding then I switch the cutting disk one over to a dewalt wire wheel. The big paddle switch is a nice feature and you can't be the price.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:21pm
I have a Craftsman Angle Grinder that I purchased in 92. It is still going strong. If it had an hour meter, it would have turned over long ago.
Some times you get good ones and sometimes you don't.
When it goes, I will shop just like I never had one. Many changes have taken place in tools since 92 so I would shop with an open mind.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:46pm
Thanks guys, I thought of sears but they don't open till 10am around here.

Are yall sure I want to remove the floor lip? All of it or leave just a little? How did you mark it?
1988 BFN-sold

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:51pm
Measure down from the deck at certain locations and connect the dots later.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Measure down from the deck at certain locations and connect the dots later.

Thanks Kevin, at this point I'm thinking of marking it 2-3 ways. I'm finding that what may be true on 1 side may not be on the other. I'm also finding that the hull is willing to twist a little more than I would've guessed. I just reset the stands and now have a compromise between the mains and floor for level. This is side to side...not front to back.

Does anyone know how the factory would've established where the floor should go?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 4:13pm
I guess everyone is busy with Kristof's thread...
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 6:50pm
The factory put in the stringers with a jig in a boat that was built in a level mold, then they poured foam, made it level to the top of the stringers and floor supports and then built a floor on top of it. And where it ended up frankly they didnt give a damn.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 6:56pm
Greg, I'm here!! What's the problem? You need to know how the factory determined were the floor should go? Just go by where they put it originally or am I missing what you are asking? Trust me that they were never that precise! You're not cutting a dovetail joint (by hand with the box saw!) here!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 7:24pm
Pete, I think you hit the nail on the head, he's a perfectionist in a non perfectionist project
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 7:52pm
Joe, Pete, and Eric...thanks guys, I appreciate the ribbing and yall have me pegged!

As it turns out, I can lift either end by myself now for adjustment...and I settled for a median based mostly on the deck. If I'm right, the engine has never been level left to right.

I still haven't made a decision on the air box and I already promised Amy I'd see a doctor soon?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 8:17pm
just dont slant the wood towards the bow...keep the floors flat or you'll get little puddles.....thats why i like plywood floors
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 11:52pm

just dont slant the wood towards the bow...keep the floors flat or you'll get little puddles.....thats why i like plywood floors

Eric, the floor will be flat but that's what I was trying to say before. The floor slants up compared to the mains.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 12:24am
it should slant as you go forward, follow the curves of the old, the boat has more gerth in the front compared to the rear because of the deeper V, and it does slope up towards the bow. thats why it is also important to watch installing the floors so you dont get puddles next to the gunnels, you want to put some negative towards the engine compartment so the water heads that way, always keep in mind that the engine compartment is the gutter to catch the water and the bildge pump takes over from there
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 8:38am
What's the old joke about the wet spot?!!? (left center in 1st pic)

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 9:40am
are you removing the box? it looks in pretty good shape, maybe if you nicely cut it out you will be able to re-use it, Now that you've dug into this project how is factory quality?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 11:18am

Now that you've dug into this project how is factory quality?

Ha...you first!

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 11:23am
I know when to keep my mouth shut
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 6:00pm
Even though I am a CC fan, I won't keep my mouth shut! It sucks! I should have taken some detailed pictures of my 54. Nothing has changed. They had monkeys with axes putting boats together way back and they must have passed on the technique to the next generation of monkeys with even duller axes!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 8:00pm
I made the decision and am glad I did.

I used some scrap gutter I had and gave it a rinse!

There's more to say here...
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 11:15am
Greg, Looking good!! I'm glad you went all the way forward. It's amazing how far water will get over the years from some spot that the factory neglected to cover or any screw/bolt hole.

Ok, to continue the "Joe, Pete & Eric" therapy with your obsession, when you put the wood back in you do not have to sand it and make it pretty!! In fact, take that 16 grit disc and run it down the new wood once ACROSS the grain.

Joe made a comment regarding being careful with allowing for extra glass on the wood from what the factory did. I will agree but also don't feel you need to go way over the number of layers that they did. You will be using epoxy resin so 1 extra layer of glass is fine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 12:23pm
That is looking pretty. I'm still planning to hold onto the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, method with regards to my stringers. Unless it's obvious, I'm not going looking for trouble. As far as factory quality, seems like they hit their low point in the 1980s on the foam and stringers.

Is it me or are the forums having some tech issues the past 24 hours?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, Looking good!! I'm glad you went all the way forward. It's amazing how far water will get over the years from some spot that the factory neglected to cover or any screw/bolt hole.

Thanks Pete, I knew I had to do all of it just because of how much it was bothering me. I could see the wet wood, and I found a couple more surprises?!!? As tired and nasty as I was last night though, I felt like I had reached the end of a long climb!

The surprises I found were 2. The first was that the air pipes were clogged up with pine straw and leaves. It didn't look like nests but maybe just crud coming in the vents over the years. I'm going to add taping them shut to my winterizing list! The hoses were also crimped in the bottom turn where the stuff collected. The second thing was a combination of factory and operator. There are 2 thin spots in the glass in the turn of the keel that have been exposed because of beaching the boat. When I looked over that last bulkhead, it was getting dark outside and I could see my worklight shining through?!!? It's not worn all the way through but damn close! It's worn through the gel and into the glass from the outside, and there is only resin in 2 small spots. A third I can add is that the last bulkhead was loose and rotting.

On the lighter side, it's sunshiny on 1 side of my house and snowing on the other! LOL We've had a good bit of rain, and my dock is floating...but mostly I feel like I've turned a corner on this project!!!

Thanks guys for the continued support guys; both moral and technical.   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Thanks and it's not just you. As far as looking for trouble, my stringers are soft in places and there is evidence of it in the gel.
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 12:47pm
Greg, you're doing a great job. I wish you were working on my boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 1:02pm

Greg, you're doing a great job. I wish you were working on my boat.

Too kind.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 1:55pm

Bruce, I think Brad and Keith have been playing around and each doesn't know what the other has done!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 2:29pm
Greg - You are a great craftsman! Your boat is going to be a benchmark for many years to come.

Thanks for all these posts - It is helping me cope with isolation from my own project.

I just wanted to comment that, on my old boat, it had worn thru the keel just like you have. It was taking on water & took me a long time to figure out where it was coming from. I repaired it well (polyester resin is good enough for a 30 year old trihull- must keep it original!) & then I put a urethane keel pad on it. (they run $150)

Prior to this I thought a boat's keel was very thick - not so!

All these people that beach there boats onto gravelly shores will have a wet surprise someday.

Now I have a good excuse for not beaching - can't take a chance on bending the tracking fins or running gear!

Good luck with your project & I hope to get see it someday.

BTW, below zero again this AM - March 8 - what an insult.

Chris

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 2:56pm
I just about bumped my head when I saw this! 6'2" is pretty close under there anyway...

I'll put some more glass down and maybe fit a solid piece of fir to back it up.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 24>
  Share Topic