Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7071727374 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 7:07pm
Will maybe we'll give that long line back a try tonight. Have to see how the short line goes first.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 7:23pm
worth a try, steve. It will give you some insight as to what (or how good) you need to be on the shortline. The main reason LL is harder is it magnifies all your weaknesses on the shortline. That, and the water is rough.
Got Foot?
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

The number one reason to fail on a back deep...Lack of Patience...

As your back deep improves you will get up very easily, you won't drag your chin...you will feel the first bumps and begin to press and when the last one hits your chest you bounce up onto your feet...easy peasy LOL

Lol...but so true...bump one bump two bump three and you are up

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 8:26pm
Great water last night, interesting results - no success, but some good videos to study. Video's uploading on youtube now, will post here when they are done...
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 10:29pm
Just got done skiing with Andy and Big Dave Hunt under epic conditions. Working on back one foots. My reverse back one foot has had me STUMPED! Andy cleared up the log jam and a couple more go-outs I will be riding it away.

To clear the log jam Andy had me ski on one shoe ski (on the reverse foot) and one barefoot and do one foots back and forth not riding it out long, but rather with a quick tocu to each foot. After a couple of those runs, I pulled the shoe off and went to the bare feet. I think the feet "talk" to one another. I think the barefoot said, "hey booty boy, betcha can't ski like me?" The shoe ski foot repied,"Hey skin-head, rather, skin-foot, I'll out ski you anyday you get me out of this raincoat." And thus, both feet were ripping one foots, in perfect harmony.

Anyway, I digress, it was another good day on the water!
Got Foot?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 10:31pm
Ok, here is the video. The first couple of short line attempts were me and the driver working things out (not shown is a bouncy bouncy ride on my balls and the one where he drowns me), by the third clip, you can see we got it together.

Second half is long line. I guess all and all I wasn't disappointed in the attempts, not sure you can really see what was going on. I think, just like with fronts, it is sensory and processing overload, which means essentially I got overwhelmed and forgot the basic, mainly patience. Having said that, it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, much easier then learning the front long line deeps.

Alright, now for the expert feedback

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

I think the barefoot said, "hey booty boy, betcha can't ski like me?" The shoe ski foot repied,"Hey skin-head, rather, skin-foot, I'll out ski you anyday you get me out of this raincoat." And thus, both feet were ripping one foots, in perfect harmony.

Anyway, I digress, it was another good day on the water!

Roy, you kill me. Good to see you back!!!
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 11:03pm
Steve:

Well dude, I can say this, ya got balls. Way to get in there and put your sack on the line. If you have the tenacity, you are 90% there. Will counts for a lot in the barefoot game.

Your shortline starts looked pretty good, really. The one time you got blown out the back, was what you thought, lack of patience. The shortline run where you skied it away, you were a ball of spray. What I could see, you look really stiff legged. Sometimes if you "leverage" off the water v. bend and pooch the ass up, you come up stiff. Just a thought there. Push your ass to the handle and get some knee bend.

Also your driver may have had you slow. What speed were you at anyway?

On the shortline failed attempts there were a variety of issues. One problem, I did not see a methodical "plane-plant-ski" progression. Have your driver pull you a bit slower on the plane, establish a controlled plane, then plat your feet, when YOU are ready.

When you had a successful plant and are established in the plant, maybe your driver needs to give you a bit firmer acceleration. There were points in some of those starts your were poised to progess but I did not hear any speed given. Don't want to blame the driver outright, but acceleration DOES aid in getting up.

On the LL all I can say is right on! Most of those looked really good for first attempts. Maybe go with a slower, longer plane, you can keep a foot over the rope to remind you to stay in the plane. When planting set them on the water easy. When the driver accelerates start going through the checklist: am I looking out the back? Check! Are my arms long? is the pull even? Check? Is my core tight? Are my abs engaged or am I floppy in the middle? Check! If you are still hanging onto the rope, your driver has begun to accelerate. do I have weight on my chest/chin, is my ass pooched up? Is my 3 point SOLID? Check! Now, wait for speed, pooching the ass up, pressing down with the chest, or at least keeping the head down. Got speed? Ready to ski? Check! Now wait 2-3 seconds with the head down, bring the feet closer, put some bend in the knees. Ski it.

When I do this, and run through these checks, I usually make the start. if I lose focus, rush, forget to make the start a "progression" I usually screw the pooch.

Not sure how your driver is, but driving counts for a lot. I have worked with my wife on pulling my up backwards behind the boat. Last weekend we did not miss a start. Ideally you should be able to get up with any driver, but when your learning it makes a difference.

Nice work!
Got Foot?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 12:27am
do you have shoe skis Steve?
This is the life
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 12:42am
Hey Roy....Probably the best written description of a back deep I have read. I agree with your checklist 100%. Excellent... Skied with B Paige last Sunday with Ryan (SN206) and again today. Working on LL Back wakes. Currently at 6 crosses in 15 sec. (2 foot) Would love to improve this by doing them on 1 foot. Any suggestions?
Thanks.......Tom
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 2:05am
Roy - HA! that is what ended the long line attempts - burnin balls, next time definitely putting the cup in.

planing speed 10 to 12 mph, standing boom speed, I call 27.5 mph, and my driver says he was right on it.

Roy, I hear ya on the knees, but man when I am out there, I can't get my knees to bend, I know I should but I just can't will it to happen. Interesting enough, when I loaded the video on youtube one of the links was to your learning backs, I definitely noticed your knees being bent, that image is now locked in my head, I am hoping that will help.

Great checklist, I will have to start memorizing.

Andy - yes, I do have shoe ski's, my plan is to try a couple more on the feet, while I am fresh and then jump on the shoe ski's and stay with them until I get up a number of times, that really helped with the boom.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 2:59am
All,
Don't let Tom(tbeard) fool ya, he's a southwest 4 champ in the making! We locals have started calling him "The Sand Bagger"! Thanks again Tom for the pulls!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 1:05pm
Tom: not sure I can help you much on the back wakes, I need a lot of help myself. I can relay what David Small told me and other guys in the boat last week: Look out the back/head up; point your ass where you want to go, keep the handle on the hip (breaking in the middle does this)weight goes on ski foot.

Steve: well, speed is not an exact science. I can get up at 27.5 but I would be a spray ball. I ride my shoes at 30 or 32. I mostly ski backwards at 40 now, but 36-38 was a staple for me when I was learning. Maybe try 30. If you feel real "skaty", feet all over the place or you are getting pulled over, it is too fast. behind the boat maybe try 8-10 plane to slow things down and give you more time.

On the bent knees Steve, I really struggled with that. Physically, just trying to bend my knees never work, I always feel constrained by the calf-achilles connection.

OK, try this on dryland: grab the handle, backwards position, lean away at fair angle, maybe more than you would ski, legs with not too much bend, like a stiff legged skier. OK, try to bend your knees simply by trying to put a bend in the joint. Likely they are not going to bend. Now, move your feet 4-6 inches "under" you, as in away from the boom. Feet "under you" is really important. That's why I commented earlier that you did not need more "lean." Bend in the middle, that is stick your butt to the handle. Bend your knees. As you bend in the middle more, you will be able to bend in the knees more. The the backs of your hands should right in the butt. you will be bent which will give you good leverage, not get pulled over; the bent knees will keep your feet flat.

Small changed my back position last year like this. I wil see if I can post a "before" and "after."
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 3:01pm
keep arms long fully extended (don't pull) with tops of wrists touching hips/butt---handle welded to your butt

above for back deep and wakes

Just a note: things like "can't bend my knees" are what we call getting an idea in your head...
These problems can be overcome with practice. A perfect example is the line step position one foots...I got into the line step position and tried to do a one foot, no matter what I tried it was like both shoe skis were glued to the water, DS says thru Headzone "raise your left arm- higher...higher...higher: and all of a sudden my foot lifts up! and I can do both one foots. Just because I raised my arm.

This is the life
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 5:11pm
Andy......For learning one foot back wakes should I perfect the back one foots to the point I can do them anywhere behind the boat? In curl on table...etc. And then start to incorporate lifting the foot through the drive process? A habit I need to overcome is when I stsrt the back wakes my legs get semi wide and I bend over in the defensive mode....Scarpa told me years ago "he could drive a truck between my legs" meaning too wide....and I think he is right. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 5:46pm
Here are some recent pics doing 2 foot back wakes that I am trying to improve to 1 foots.
Thanks.......Tom
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 6:03pm
Roy can talk to you about the wide stance. too wide not good. get your legs together(just do it!), when crossing on two feet you want to be 90/10 not 50/50, 90 on your outside foot(the one that will be closest to boat as you cross), bending over is OK, you must bend over (lets call it "breaking away") - as long as you keep your head up/eyes looking out the back(for balance) keep the handle in tight to butt(if it moves away 1 inch no good) and don't pull with either arm. don't pull. Let the boat/rope pull you. Wear a neckbrace.

Remember this: the body position to do a one foot is not the same as when you cross the wake on one foot and to do a back or front toehold is different again... one stance does not fit all.

practice your one foots on each side of the wake, you will need to "track" away from the wake to not get sucked in (steer away) ideally you want to be doing both front and back one foots AND toeholds front and back on each side of the wake and then you will have a super foundation to build on and wakes on one foot will be relatively easy to learn.

back wakes are also pretty boat dependent...if you've got a little barefoot outboard, a Sanger inboard or outboard, a BFN, you will have more fun with back wakes...others will offer quite an obstacle to cross/overcome.   

alot of barefoot practice is making the uncomfortable...comfortable LOL
This is the life
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 6:08pm
Same run
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 6:25pm
Thanks Andy....My BFN wake curl allows me to track in the curl with no problem. When crossing my driving foot (outside foot for direction of cross)is loaded with 80% of weight. My arms are straight... I think.
I will take your advice and practice 1 foots on both side of wake front and back. You are right practice and time on water makes it a little more comfortable.
Thanks.......Tom
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 6:55pm
Tom,
The pic looks pretty good, looks like you are "crabbing" across with pretty even weight on feet. looks like normal progression. get your body to turn a little more which will put a foot closer to the boat(the one you want 90% of your weight on) and start to cut across, get the foot on edge (don't shift any weight back on the other foot or its over) cut/edge hard all the way thru the wake, if you flatten the foot out you will get some air off the lip and you will be testing the neckbrace. Don't gas pedal.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 7:01pm
be sure you are looking out the back and not down at the water, if you can't remember seeing anything you are looking down or closing your eyes. keeping your head up eyes open gives you balance and lets you know where you are...not that its hard to find that BFN wake LOL
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 7:16pm
I had a bad habit on the BFN wake of coming off the cut flattening out the foot and getting air off the lip and then pointing the toe to try to keep contact and wiping out rather spectacularly, I had to learn to cut all the way thru just like a slalom skier on a ski- slice it - all the way across.

your arms look straight yes
This is the life
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 7:38pm
Thanks.... For my arms would you keep them straight or pull the handle in/up toward my butt? Yes I do get air sometimes off the table and land in the curl (yes wishing I had a neck brace on:) ) To start a cross I: 1) shift my weight over my driving foot
2) get that foot on edge (I drive extremly hard...the water will spray 20 - 25 feet high off that foot)
3) during the cross while on the table I back off thinking I will go too wide and reducing my wake crossing times or get air
4) drop off table into curl and immeaditely reverse everything to cross other direction.
If everything is working speed is fast but sometimes I get air and eat it :)
Thanks.......Tom
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2012 at 8:01pm
Went today, nice winter day, cold and windy.
Exlored and found anice spot, long protected river. Narrow for wakebaord but perfet for us footers.
After a 1 run decided to try bacerd wo the shoes.
I was out on the firts attemp. Man once you got the timing is easy. Did 6 runs all out with no problem.
Need to clean posture but man thought i would nev er be able to do backs.
I'm happy!
Vid to come!
Yeah
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 12:22am
speed was around 30 same as in shoes....

I did a total of 6 back runs, all succesfull
the funny thing is then I put on the shoes, as I wanted to do some back to front turns, I couldn´t get out with them...like I didn´t have the same feeling of the water as i did with the barefeet...strange...

tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 12:32am
Nice run......Good form until the end where your butt got pulled forward and reached the point where it was over your feet and the dreaded backward fall. Standing tall like that (toward the end of the run) is fine if you have a ton of experience but my advice would be stay semi low looking on the horizon for a while. Excellent run though.
Thanks.......Tom
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 12:39am
lucky I had the neck brace there!
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 1:08am
Yes I do not were one but Andy has convinced me to make it apart of my gear. Placing a order this week. What brand do you wear? Is it comfortable?
My 20 year old son is learning back deeps. He started footing in May this year. Last weekend skiing with Brandan Paige he got up on both the shoes and then his feet backwards. I have never seen him so excited:) Awsome sport!
Thanks.......Tom
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 1:34am
Kap, keep the handle glued to your butt, stay "broken" (bent over at waist) don't straighten up your body and you won't be testing the neckbrace. Otherwise looks like a nice place to ski with some glassy water and that was a nice backdeep and bacerds run.

This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 1:36am
Nice job sebby. You took to the backwards quickly. Crazy start. Not sure how that really worked, but you worked it out. I will offer you the same comments as Steve. This is what I told him:

On the bent knees Steve, I really struggled with that. Physically, just trying to bend my knees never work, I always feel constrained by the calf-achilles connection.

OK, try this on dryland: grab the handle, backwards position, lean away at fair angle, maybe more than you would ski, legs with not too much bend, like a stiff legged skier. OK, try to bend your knees simply by trying to put a bend in the joint. Likely they are not going to bend. Now, move your feet 4-6 inches "under" you, as in away from the boom. Feet "under you" is really important. That's why I commented earlier that you did not need more "lean." Bend in the middle, that is stick your butt to the handle. Bend your knees. As you bend in the middle more, you will be able to bend in the knees more. The the backs of your hands should right in the butt. you will be bent which will give you good leverage, not get pulled over; the bent knees will keep your feet flat.

the handle progressively got pulled away from you. relax the arms, and get bent!
Got Foot?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7071727374 152>
  Share Topic