NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 50>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2009 at 7:13pm
Didn't get too many hours on the boat this weekend but I did manage to get the port side planking off. these photos are probably all starting to look the same but there is progress. I still have to remove the transom planking, I've saved that for last as it will be the most difficult to remove. It has been refastened in the past and the old 5200 is still bonding tough.

Here's a good look at the way the stem were put together.

3/8" strips of mahagony cold bent around the frame points. Lots of cracks and when unbolted the wood still wants to spring back. 5 layers of the stem have already been removed because they were rotted. I spent an hour or so figuring out how to repair this and decided to scrap the hole thing and make a new steam bent laminated piece. That was my stopping point for the day.

Hopefully I'll get some time after work this week to set up my steamer and make a template for the new stem.

This ones for Jbear, another Hurricane bon Fire to keep warm. That 55 year old lumber burns hot and fast.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2009 at 10:44pm
Pretty as a postcard my friend. You know I am a big fan of pretty ladies and a dog lover.

Can't say much about that white stuff.

Does look rather romantic tho...bet the warming up process was fun!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2009 at 12:33am
jbear, Nice thing about bonfires this time of year... only the tough mosquitos bother you!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2009 at 12:48am
one way to look at it I guess...altho I still think I would favor sharing the nicer weather with the not so tough mosquitos!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2009 at 12:10pm

Look's like the dog's are saying, can we go back in now....hehe

Nice photo Alan as always.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2009 at 2:27pm
Very nice! We've still got the old wood on the side of our garage for patterns for the spray rails & such. Once that's finished this winter/spring, we're gonna have a nice little funeral pyre for the Atom as well.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2009 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Here's a good look at the way the stem were put together.

Hopefully I'll get some time after work this week to set up my steamer and make a template for the new stem.

That's a pretty gnarly looking stem Alan. Although not original (Don't tell Pete I even brought this up) but wouldnt this

be an acceptable means of rebuilding a stem without all of the steaming/bending effort?
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2009 at 5:46pm
I am just mesmerized.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2009 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

Very nice! We've still got the old wood on the side of our garage for patterns for the spray rails & such.
Nate

I did save anything I need for patterns later in the game, just the inner planking's been burned so far, the final Bon Fire will be a scorcher.   
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2009 at 8:34pm
Like Rob's two years ago? Holy crap that thing was higher than the roof on the garage!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2009 at 8:42pm
Larry, I hate to critic anyone's work or methods but I see to many things wrong with that method. Even sealed, the plywood will want to wick moisture up more than solid planks or multiple laminated solid planks. To much room for a delam problem there I think.

The other problem I see would be all the plank screws setting into the plywood, I don't think it would hold as well as solid wood there and the screws would open up even more entry points for water as the plywood tends to splinter more than a solid board would.

I'm going to go the route that Nate and his dad did on their Atom, that seems to be a solid stem they built. I tested my steam rig yesterday and bent one trial piece, it actually is fairly easy process as long as you wait for the wood to get fully heated.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2009 at 10:27pm
Alan, would it be easy to duplicate 2 boats at once? as you go pattern each piece? or make an extra piece for each you make or is it to pricey?
Eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2009 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Larry, I hate to critic anyone's work or methods but I see to many things wrong with that method.   

Don't worry Alan, not offending me (or anyone else, I'm sure) I was just curious. That picture comes from an old boat building guide I ran across. Everything you say about it makes good sense.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2009 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Alan, would it be easy to duplicate 2 boats at once? as you go pattern each piece? or make an extra piece for each you make or is it to pricey?
Eric

ha... easy yes but then I wouldn't have the only one.

The cost would be staggering thought to start from scratch. Material cost is really unbeleivable. When we get to the end I'll share some idea of cost, that's the main reason this is going to be done in stages over several winters.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2009 at 10:20am
oh, I can imagine the cost....you would have the only 2...lol
coming along nicely
"the things you own will start to own you"
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2009 at 10:24am
Coming along very nicely.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2009 at 11:22am
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

Coming along very nicely.

Thanks Ryan, Can you shoot me an emailI have a question about fabricating a new fuel tank.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2009 at 8:11pm
all I can say is WOW! Looking really nice Alan! can't wait to see it when it is all done. keep the pics coming. this is exciting!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2010 at 9:26pm
Back from travel visiting family and of course right back at the boat. Made my stem form, soak tank and steamer. Cut all my pieces and let them soak over nite.

My steam rig worked fine but I needed some temporary repairs as the unit built steam the inlet pipe started to deform and close up. I'll upgrade to the delux unit next time.

Steaming is actualy pretty easy once you do a few pieces and learn how long to leave the boards in the steamer. You also have to work extremely fast as you only have about 30 seconds before the wood starts to cool and set once removed from the steam chamber.

All eleven pieces are bent, you can see some variance in the amount of bend each retained. Most of that is from a combination of learning how long to steam and how quickly we were able to get the pieces clamped. The finished stem will have a total build up thickness of 4-1/8 inches. Hopefully we'll get them glued up on sunday if the pieces dry sufficiently.
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2010 at 12:13am
Let me know if you need more pipe or fittings, I could drop stuff off on my way home for ya!
My Blue 82SOLD!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 11:25am
Got the transom planking and inner ply removed yesterday. The transom had been rebuilt once before so it was quite a job removing and took about 4 hours and a lot of patience not to destroy the framework in the process. Definately the hardest days work I've put in on this boat yet.

The stripped transom revealed another issue which I was aware of but was hoping for the best. Too many screws and a bad choice of grain on the lower frame lead to cracking, water infiltration and the dreaded black rot. There was no way to reattach planking without a repair.

After some thought I decided to route out some of the frame and laminate some new wood in.

I quit last night with an image of this in my head.

I've been very forgiving with the quality of the original woodoworking on this boat but this one just bothered me to much to let slide. Those small pieces of wood are fillers to mend sloppy joinery and there is a gap on both sides of the keel thats about 3/4" wide that was filled with bedding compound. I can't imagine any amount of caulking sealing this up so by the time I woke this morning the night shift had made a design change and it was decided to replace the entire frame. I'm going to laminate some 1/4" mahogony planks instead of steam bending a solid board as I think it will take the curve better and with alternating grain patterns should be stronger than one piece.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 12:45pm
Wow.
bj
hasbeenskier
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2010 at 8:33pm
It's great watching a Master in-process!

I learn so much from this site!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 12:16am
Do you mean like, the entire frame of the boat?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 12:39am
That is amazing !!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 12:57am
Finished gluing up the stem tonight, hope to get it fitted, rough shaped and installed this weekend. I can't wait to pull it off the form, it is massive and solid as a rock!!! I pulled the original stem off the boat saturday and it crumbled and broke in half so glad I went the extra step to replace it. The old saying" you can pay me now or pay me later" certainly applies to this boat. If I had stayed with my original plan to just replace the bottom of the boat and refinish the sides I'd be doing this again after one season in the water.

On a side note, I have never used epoxy resin before but this stuff is awesome to work with, mixing is simple, plenty of setup time and absolutely no odor. I've been able to do all this glue up in the nice warm basement instead of the cold garage. Now CPES is another story, that product is brutal. I've had to apply all my CPES at the end of the day with the doors open then close up tight and turn the heat up overnite. I'm using a good 3m respirator and it does a good job, I didn't the first time I used it and I'll never make that mistake again.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 1:19am
Looking good Alan. You do great work man, nothing else to say!
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 1:35am
I have been following all the projects going on this winter but this one really blows me away. I have some friends that build an restore wooden boats for a living and have spent some time in the boat shop in years past. Usually I was just there to help empty the pepsi machine they kept filled with Labatts but I have helped out on occasion.

I have seen the amount of work that goes into a project like this and applaud anyone willing to take it on. You are a true artisan at work.

David

nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 1:51am
Wow! That stem looks quite familiar. Good work! Keep it up Alan.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 1:36pm
Alan you are the man !! You will have one hell of a boat when done !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 50>
  Share Topic