NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 24>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:10pm
So If I read this right Joe for the composite floors 3K and a traditional would be 1.5K?

How many labor hours do you think it might take?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

it will be a Martinque, Dominque or a BareFoot for the next one Timmy.

I like the extra elbow room!

If I use the thin 635 epoxy from UScomposites(what skibum used I think), will I still need the CPES?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I agree 1k is low, if its a full out all stringers all foam and new floor I would say closer 1500, not using any wood and including carpet I am guessing I will be close to 3k for mine.   

Hmmm, maybe my memory is bad. I thought thats about what Skibum said he spent. I also remember thinking thats about what I would be spending, but then again, Im doing a 16' boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:19pm
We might need to all look for a different material for stringers down the road. The clear straight grain 8/4 douglas fir was 5.07/linear ft rough sawn. That's got to be in line with coosa and should really be used to make furniture. The fir ply I ordered isn't cheap either, but it's less than marine grade. I'm also on the east coast and douglas fir doesn't come from here. Joe, look into your crystal ball and tell us how your system works out! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:22pm
I have about 600 budgeted for carpet in my 3k price, I see it about 1500 for floor with foam and wood, 2400 for all sealed coosa, no foam, but its rough I should have better estimates in a week. I spent a bit over 2k on the mustang all composite but it was a small boat. I think your looking at 60 hours labor. Extra layers of cloth and epoxy can really add up in price quick.

A couple good looking martiniques on the site listed at good prices, even open bows.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:24pm
why are you using the CPES? if you do the job right it shouldn't matter, maybe a little over kill, but the stringers would be pretty solid and little heavy afterwards.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:27pm
I'm in the wrong buisness $100/labor hour I need to get in the fiberglass buisness.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:29pm
I hate to open a stale can of worms...
I'm thinking now that I may use the 4lb foam that Bill used instead of the 2lb handi-foam. After having spent some time in the hull, I think if I don't put the foam back, I may get canning in between the outer supports. I'm going to add at least 1 more of those on each side, but with the water pushing against the boat and the boat doing the same...
Thoughts?
1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:31pm
Ask about some of the invoices some of our fellow members have paid for their work, floors, carpet or secondary stringers.
100.00 per hour is cheap..........................Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

why are you using the CPES? if you do the job right it shouldn't matter, maybe a little over kill, but the stringers would be pretty solid and little heavy afterwards.

It's been reccomended here for new wood going back into a hull. I was wodering about the viscosity difference between the 2...are they similar enough to eliminate the cpes?... and I'm no engineer!
1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:41pm
87BFN,Did you just have that job done before Green Lake in 07, I know parts have increased as has the wood, but what did you have done and what was the estimate and what did turn key , completed job,cost.
This will give us all a DIY cost and a cost if we decide there is too much involved to tackle this on our own????????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:45pm
Doc, am I nutz for using the pricey fir? What did you use on your baby? You are halfway closer to where douglas fir comes from...I'm sure shipping is in the price I got.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:50pm
when I looked at the CPES products I preffered the rot doctor's over the others and I was really please with the results I got from it when I was fixing some area's on my old boat.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:53pm
If you look at what CC used you would probably be appalled.Maybe even pine, of this I am not sure.
The point I am trying to make is this;
Any wood you use will rot if the proper steps are not followed to "SEAL" the wood. and using high dollar materials will not be a substitute for low dollar labor.
If and when I do another I will do a plywood,Kevlar sandwich. I have a lot of Kevlar fabric, and the plys would make on hell of a stringer, bottom line is not what you use but how well it is sealed.......
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I agree 1k is low, if its a full out all stringers all foam and new floor I would say closer 1500, not using any wood and including carpet I am guessing I will be close to 3k for mine.   

Hmmm, maybe my memory is bad. I thought thats about what Skibum said he spent. I also remember thinking thats about what I would be spending, but then again, Im doing a 16' boat.

IIRC Skibum intended 1k originally but had an additional two US composites orders that put him significantly over, however ICBW.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:58pm
We used kelvar on a project and it just got ate up, guess it didn't like to be spun that fast and at that high of a temperture. Man was that thing a fuzz ball once we pulled the rotor out of that motor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 6:00pm
I know us composites has the best price I've found on the epoxy. Some places are double their price or more!
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 6:03pm
Greg, I wouldn't skip the penetrating epoxy. I feel it is a key to sealing the wood. Have you been to the Mas site and looked at their line of epoxy?
I wouldn't worry about the 2lb foam. It will be plenty stiff. The 4lb. is what they spray on roofs that are walked on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mas site

You lost me there.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the 2lb foam. It will be plenty stiff. The 4lb. is what they spray on roofs that are walked on.

The handi foam would be easier to apply, though a little more $$. If you're comfortable with it, then I will be!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 7:23pm
I found MAS epoxies if that's who you meant Pete. They're still a good bit higher than US com.
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 8:05pm

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

IIRC Skibum intended 1k originally but had an additional two US composites orders that put him significantly over, however ICBW.

I think youre wrong.

I went back and checked. This post was from exactly a year ago, and Bill had already started gelcoating the bilge- so the figure should be pretty close. He also noted a few areas where he overbought.

Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

All my glass, resin, fillers, foam, and gel came from US Composites. All structural work is epoxy with a variety of glass; mat, biaxial, and cloth. Mrs. SkiBum frequently reminds me that I spent just over one thousand dollars on materials.

If the prices of the materials have gone up since last year, then the figure may be higher now- but $1k should be the ballpark.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 10:13pm
Doc, i could come up with those figures, i will have to include the trans rebuild, the prop shaft, the damper, strut bearings, the $1100.00 planetary i gave away...still need the prices? 120 hours in labor at $100.00 thats 12,000.00 inm in the wrong business
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 10:26pm
If you THREE want to talk out of school, i will embarrass you
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

If you THREE want to talk out of school, i will embarrass you
Sounds like a threat to me, if so why???
What was the 120 hrs. of labor for?
Last question how will you embarass me, tell my Mama.........Sounds like its 5 o clock somewhere......Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 11:27pm
I was hoping you wanted to go there, how do you know i meant you?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 11:32pm
yeah, BFN, re-fresh my memory too.....i forgot
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 11:35pm
It was posted after my last post, I was asking questions as to the DIY price and the finished product, that was not directed at you but at 87BFN,Was set back at your answer as to 120 hrs,and the other .....
Just trying to figure out where you are coming from???????

What THREE were you speaking of?????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 11:55pm
lets put it this way i will list the materials and the labor and you put your price tag on it.
$1300.00 wood including poplar and glassing materials
$300.00 prop shaft and coupling matched
150.00 dripless
140.00 BBC drive plate
$40.00 strut bearings
$100.00 3" stainless
$30.00 fittings
$100.00 flex pipe
$30.00 hose
$20.00 stainless screws
$300.00 carpet
$30.00 carpet glue
$80.00 primer
$120.00 epoxy paint

Borg Warner rebuilt and tested 72c 10-18-004
normal rebuild from ffi $1000.00
out of the f-in kindness in my heart I threw in an $1100.00 planetary and a new pump $229.00 oh yeah input shaft too...$300.00

NOW for the labor
Remove and replace complete interior
remove and replace engine including alignment
remove and replace damper, and install trans
remove and replace strut bearings
remove, clean, replace gas tank
tear out complete floors and secondary stringers, *************** it it equals about 120 hours labor

now when somebody tells me I dont have the time to do my boat, this means i dont know how to do my own boat so i am going to pay you to do it, this is not my ***************ing hobby you put a price on the above Boat Doc and then I'll tell you what i charged him,
if you are feeling guilty that you didnt pay me enough you can gladly mail me a check
to ***************in shey
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 12:09am
of i forgot to list
inside winter storage last year f-in free
this year inside winter storage f-in free

this is what the *************** happens when you try to be the nice guy
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 12:12am
Do not get bent at me Eric, I was asking a question as to the cost both ways. Not what you did or what you charged , ain't none of my affair.
I replaced the primary and secondary stringers in mine, most of the same parts that you stated.I did not keep a total on my parts, nor did I keep track of the labor, a bunch.
I have never had that kinda money to throw at a project boat.I had to do it payday to payday.As far as what you charge that is all about you and your agreement with the boat owner.
With that much labor, 120 hrs.and the parts bill plus materials,it would have to sit in my drive for a long time. I can't afford your hrs. nor your hourly rate.
This is not a slam on you, just to tell you how POOR I AM>>>>>>>>>>>>boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 24>
  Share Topic