Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strainer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strainer
    Posted: May-17-2008 at 7:25pm
Well, I finally got it unwinterized, and the good news is it started right up and purred. I installed a flush pro kit, so I could run it at my house. When I turned the hose on my strainer sprayed water everywhere. If the boat was at 1100 rpm it was minor but still leaking. I don't care for the set up anyway, it has a one inch male on the strainer and a 1 1/2 in. hose? It doesn't look correct. This is a pic of the boat out of the garage for the first time, and of the strainer set up on my 84 SN. I would like to replace this with the strainer at skidim, item # 2501, it says PCM 351, is that cool on a commander 351? Please help I need to order quickly, so I can get in the water next weekend!!    Thanks, Greg
gb842001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2008 at 9:44pm
Greg, I believe it wasn't until the mid 80's that strainers were put on the boats from the factory. I'm sure someone like Tim could fill you in on a more exact year. So, it sure sounds like a PO of your boat installed the wrong strainer. It sure wouldn't have come from the factory with 1&1/2" hose clamped down to a 1" hose barb. If you boat in questionable water with lots of weeds or in spots where there is a possibility of sucking up sand then you are smart in getting the correct strainer. I'm actually surprised that you weren't sucking air at that hose barb.
BTW, none of my boats have strainers.

Edit: I was just looking through the ref. section and found that 1986 is the first year that a strainer is mentioned.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2008 at 11:50pm
Sure looks like you live out in the country Greg. What mountains are those off in the distance?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 4:20pm
John,
That is Blacktail ski area, I'm only 25 miles from Glacier Nat. Park, that is where the big mountains are. Whitefish is 55 miles south of Canada, it is very pretty country out here.

Brainard,
Thanks for the feed back, it can't be a factory strainer, the set up is way to getto. The new stainer is only 42 bucks, and since it is already there this seems like the easiest fix. Thanks, Greg
gb842001
taxabel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taxabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 7:43pm
I have an 84 with the same strainer. I purchased the boat from the factory new. I'm a little confused. When I start my engine at home, I take the top off the strainer and place a garden hose inside the strainer and turn the water on. Water does circulate and all is well. Is that the same thing that a flush pro kit would do?
84raidertique
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 1:08pm
Basically, that is exactly what a flush pro does.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 10:32pm
Tax, The main reason I ended up getting the flush pro was for the ease of winterization. You just put the hose in a bucket of antifreeze and suck it through the motor. ( I hope ). Does your factory boat have a 1 1/2 hose going to the stainers 1 in. male, unsplind fitting? I will send a pic. Do you have an 84 with the commander. Could you post any pics? Thanks Greg
gb842001
taxabel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taxabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 1:14am
Mine is the exact same thing as you have there. I will include a picture shortly. Same hoses, canister, top, and wingnut.
84raidertique
taxabel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taxabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 1:14am
My engine is a 1984 Commander.
84raidertique
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 10:19pm
My 83 had the same strainer until the top cracked.
Bob Ed
83 2001
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 12:53pm
Bob,
When the lid cracked did you switch do a different stainer, or were you able to get parts for ours?

Do you guys both have a large hose going to a small unbarbed fitting on the strainer, this just doesn't seem like something I would expect to see coming from the factory. Greg
gb842001
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2008 at 4:17am
sorry guys, but I'm still having strainer issues. I got the new one from skidim, but it doesn't fit cleanly where the original one is, and still can't seem to solve the different size hose to fitting issue even with the new one. I know I dont really need it, but I'm not sure what to do to get rid of it. I would really appreciate any advice on this what should be an easy to fix problem- I would like to replace my gasket/o-ring on the original, if anyone knows if this is possible please let me know, this would be my easiest fix.

I also tried to replace my cap, rotor, points, and condenser, but Napa auto parts couldn't match my cap. Do I need something unusual on the 351 windsor?
gb842001
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2008 at 10:16am
John, it figures you noticed the mountains....brings back memories lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Quigs85SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quigs85SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2008 at 11:11am
Greg,

I have the same strainer in my '85. Mine runs 1" ID hose from the water inlet in the hull brass strainer), to the plastic strainer. The other hose is also 1" ID and runs from the plastic strainer up to the raw water pump. Is one of your hoses the wrong diameter? Based on the responses, I'd say you have an original equipment strainer. You can find new o rings at a pool supply store. Correct Craft no longer has these parts. My local Nautique dealer sent me to the pool shop.
Brian

baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2008 at 2:22pm
Thanks Brian for the pool store advice, thats a good idea. If you look at my pic you can see that I too go from the brass to the plastic then a fat hose comes off and goes to the narrow soup can looking thing connected to the trany (which it then has two small hoses going to the trany (cooling?) and out of the soup can it goes up to the water pump, back with a 1 in ID. This all looks to be correct, it is just when it hooks to the plastic basket that the sizes dont make sense.
gb842001
Towman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Towman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2008 at 10:44pm
Quigs On my 85 SN the hose runs from the strainer to the trans cooler then to the RWP.Do you have a PCM?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quigs85SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2008 at 3:21pm
Towman,

I omitted the trans cooler in my description. I have a PCM, and it sounds like its just like yours. I checked out your boat in the diaries, she's a beauty! I love that blue.
Brian

Towman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Towman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2008 at 8:29pm
Thanks Brian, I was amazed wow well the center gel cleaned up by hours of wet sanding and a couple coats of clear coat!Any photos of your 85?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quigs85SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 10:47am
I just got a new camera, but I think I'll wait until I get the engine back in her. I should probably take some pictures of that process and post them. I know you guys like pictures!
Brian

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic