Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OHH NO!! White Smoke and Metallic Sounds!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
wakesurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OHH NO!! White Smoke and Metallic Sounds!
    Posted: May-24-2008 at 5:02pm

I have checked all around the post regarding white smoke and other exhaust diagnostic issues... cant seem to find any?

If you can point me to some post I will continue research.

Thats Right. What a bummer... Memorial Day weekend, and I have large amounts of white smoke coming out of my passengers side exhaust port, and the bell housing has sprung an oil leak...

Are these two problems connected?

I check all my plugs at my distributor cap and they all have good fire. ( I have new plugs, wires, and an OLD Distrubutor Cap.

Could it be just the cap and rotor need to be switched, or do I have something much bigger?

And it was running sooooo SWEET... until now.

Thanks for all the continued support!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2008 at 5:03pm

Off to Auto Zone for Distributor Cap and Rotor!!

Hope that solves it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2008 at 9:12pm

Well. It is now locked down... Will not turn over, as I tried to start it with the value cover off to see if it was the vaules...

Now it will not even turn over.

It seems to be all over now.

Total Rebuild?

Any ideas?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 1:56am
Jamie, White smoke is water. The engine is probably hydraulicly locked up with water in one or more cylinders. Pull the spark plugs, crank the engine and see if you can pump some of the water out. Something let loose on the engine. I re read most of your posts and I'm suggesting you get some help on this one. (not from the "mechanic" who told you to run without the T stat!) BTW, did you get the thermostat and did you install it?

You never described the "metallic" sound.
Oil out the bell housing could be trans or engine. What color is it? I would have to say it's not related to the water problem.

Sounds like the PO sure did the job on this boat!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 2:31am

Thanks for your help. I am devastated. THe dream has turned into a nightmare.

The metallic sound is a delicate high pitched slight ping, hardly noticable to anyone but me....radiates slightly from the exhaust pipe and not heard at the engine block.

BTW, Wehn operating today at 20 mi per hour we thought we ran over something and go it caught in the prop... It was like the boat downshifted. A noticed loss of power and differnt sound was heard. I shut it down swam under the boat, checking the prop, and the rudder... Nothing there.

Weird - yet could that of been the fatal blow?

I started it back up - no problems,,, the sound was not heard, no was the power diffenrence significant, we wakeboarded till dark and had no issues. 5:30 am next morning... boat hard to start - take lots of gas and several cranks , when usually it takes one crank and its up and ready. So the boat also has a gas smell and the white smoke was hardly noticable. It got a little worse.. then back at the house on the dry I removed the valve cover and cranked it once.. all valves seemed to be working shut it down... then tried a second time... no luck. It is locked down rock solid - just a click and thats all you get.

HELP!

However, I did replace the T Stat, plugs, wires, cables, and got it wetsanded and glossy for this weekend... and then the smoke.

Any further suggestions? Is this a piston that is broken and locked in the engine?

BTW, Everyone who help on this sight has been a god send.

I am willing to take on this challenge!

Steady Upright and Ready.
Jamie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 2:34am

New Engine or Rebuild?

cost?

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 8:41am
Originally posted by wakesurfer wakesurfer wrote:

New Engine or Rebuild?

cost?

I think if you want to take this on yourself, you're going to have to do a very organized checklist. Pete reccomends getting quality help and I have to agree.

Did you investigate the hydro-lock? Pull all of the plugs and spin the motor...maybe with some towels. I'd say first thing is to get it to spin with the plugs out, and then go from there.

Most of the guys are out on the water or probably out of town this weekend. Hang in there.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 11:54am
It could just be a head gasket, or something wrong with a riser gasket. Definitely investigate the hydro lock, and CHANGE YOUR OIL! It's probably turned into a white milky substance.

I'd pull the port exhaust manifold, and riser first. A bad riser gasket will leak water back into the engine when you shut it down. A little water in the port side of the engine will cause the symptopms you have mentioned.

I'm in and out with yardwork today. Maybe I'll put the Martinique in Allatoona later on, but I don't like the crowds. I'll be glad to help with whatever knowledge I have. BTW...which engine do you have?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 12:56pm

Thanks Gents. I had to walk away from it for a few hours.. I will check the hydrolock today, then, I will check my oil color as I pump it out.. then see if she will turn.

On the riser gasket idea... how can that explain the slight metallic pinging noise heard during idle.

If you try to start your engine with the valve cover off.. could that of caused my lock up?

I have a 351 Commander.

I will report back with some of my findings.

Thanks Again.

almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 3:04pm

On the riser gasket idea... how can that explain the slight metallic pinging noise heard during idle.

If you try to start your engine with the valve cover off.. could that of caused my lock up?

I can't see any way the riser gasket explains the metallic pinging noise, but it would explain the hydrolock and cloud of steam out of your exhaust. The steam might be caused by, (and this is quite a WAG) some sort of crack in the port exhaust manifold.

You may want to pull the exhaust manifold. The pinging could be some sort of flotsam rattling around in there.

Again, these are both Wild ass guesses, so I could be completely out in left field.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2008 at 2:40am

O.K. I drained the oil, the first few minutes of draining I saw a few lines of milky white oil, then only black oil...

I have not run it long w this problem.

Fixed the hyrdo lock w the pull the plugs trick, it turns over and all rocker arms appear to be lifting and valves seem to be working in good order... ??

Do you think it could be as simple as a head gasket leaked water into my engine?

Remember it was a sudden loss of just a little power as if I was down shifting that was felt. As if I caught something in the prop.

New head gasket?

Any tips on removing the valve top end and all that it entails w compression wrenches?

Thanks for all the continued support.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2008 at 10:21am
Jamie, This may help you out better than we can with only descriptions of procedures.

engine rebuilding

Edit: Jamie, I'd like to remind you that getting a friend with a better concept of how a internal combustion engine works is a good idea. Before you start taking things apart, talk to some people, find the friend and read some books. I don't want you to be trying to find a mechanic that will put it back together from a box of loose parts - they don't like that!! I'm not saying to give up the project, just give it some very deep thought. Potentially this could be a major learning experience for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2008 at 12:43pm

Thanks - I ordered the book and I have a few other local friends to call on.

Whats your opinion on the head gasket idea?

Cheers.
jamie
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2008 at 1:59pm
A blown head gasket is another plausible explanation for the issues you have experienced. A head gasket is a full day's job.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2008 at 2:27pm

I am hoping that is all it is, and I hope there is no cracked block.

Hoping for the best.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 2:18am

I am hoping it is a exhaust gasket...

Would the exhaust gasket leak get into the motor?

Anyone have any luck with an additive similar to what fixes a leaky radiator... for a leaky gasket?

short cut i know.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 8:42am

Anyone have any luck with an additive similar to what fixes a leaky radiator... for a leaky gasket?

Not a good idea! They may be a emergency fix on a car or truck (only on small leaks such as a freeze plug) they will not work on a boat with open cooling. The stop leak additives work by small fuzzy particles in the additive plugging small holes and building on itself until the leak is plugged. (like a air filter slowly getting clogged with dirt particles) This requires the additive to heated and circulated through the engine many times. On a marine engine with open cooling, the water gets sucked in one end and out the other. Hopefully this idea didn't come from the friend who is going to help you out with the problem!

Jamie, When you pulled the plugs and spun it to get the water out of the cylinders, which cylinders did the water come out? With exhaust manifold/riser problems, it is usually the cylinders that sit lower (aft) that get the water. This may be a good clue as to which direction to head - Manifolds or internal engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 8:58am
I second Pete. Really bad idea to use stop leak, and it won't work anyway. You'll just end up with a driveway coated in stop leak. Pull the exhaust manifold and check out the gasket.   A leaky exhaust manifold gasket could explain some different sounds you may be hearing, as well the hydrolocking issue.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 9:06am
Originally posted by almabes almabes wrote:

Pull the exhaust manifold and check out the gasket.   A leaky exhaust manifold gasket could explain some different sounds you may be hearing, as well the hydrolocking issue.

Water is not ported through the manifold gasket so it won't be the problem. Manifold/ riser maybe?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 9:43am
I sit, corrected! I Haven't had my coffee yet, so the brain isn't fully plugged in.

Thanks Pete
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 11:26am
Commander style water logs are less prone to a leaky riser gasket failure than the pcms, but they do crack. However, first you need to find the problem then you can find the cause. Get a compression tester immediately, use it and post the results.

The oil out the bellhousing could be due to a spun bearing or other massive failure but you should be able to feel that when turning the engine over slowly by hand with the plugs out.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 11:31am

Thanks gents for all your keen knowledge.

On the previous short cut idea, I was just making sure - it was my own Bad Idea.

Now, I am a little unclear which gasket the exhaust manifold risor gasket is...

Is it the gasket btw the manifold and the block?

any pics or diagrams?

The question of the hour is: "How do you know if the gasket is leaking, as when you pull the parts off of the gasket ---- the gaskets usually rip anyway? hard to tell?

The wife will be home in a week... I am in deep trouble now. broken boat.

Secondly,
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 11:58am

The question of the hour is: "How do you know if the gasket is leaking, as when you pull the parts off of the gasket ---- the gaskets usually rip anyway? hard to tell?

the head gasket won't usually, but even if it does then you can still tell. But it is easier to track down if you remember which cyclinders had water in them.

Also if you don't know where the two gaskets are on the riser and exhaust manifold then your not going to have a clue to weather or not you install the head gasket right either so please seek help from someone that lnows what they are doing.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 12:03pm
part of your confusion maybe in that your commander engine doesnt really have exhaust risers, there is a gasket at the joint before your logs turn down and the exhaust hoses attach. The gasket between the manifolds and engine is dry, there should be no water there.

Again I doubt it is either of the gaskets in this setup although it could be the logs themselves.

You will need to do a compression test and to turn it over by hand to rule out severe mechanical failure, I wouldnt screw around with taking anything apart till you do that.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 9:59am

What are the specs on the compression for a commander?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 10:03am

So, no riser gasket on the commander... still a bit fuzzy on that one.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 11:33am
The exhaust log is of a two peice design but is not like the pyramid and riser design most people here have (PCM Style). Pcm units have a joint where water is passed through from one piece to another, the commander style typically have a dry joint with a hose that brings water from one peice of the log to the other. That joint is less prone to leakage, and cant be technically called a riser joint since the second piece is not really a riser, but thats semantics...   The compression should be even within 10% or so among the cylinders, actual value is not as important. Either a blown head gasket or a cracked block will have a large effect on compression that will be easily noticed.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 11:39am
Jamie, Joe (JoeinNY) is correct that your exhaust manifolds really don't have "risers". The term riser technically is the section of the exhaust that is higher than the manifold itself. Some use a "riser" and some like your's have a cast section on the end that converts to the rubber exhaust hose. Both basic types are where the cooling water enters the exhaust hose. Regretably, the term "riser" is frequently used for both. You will still have a gasket between the "riser" and the manifold itself.

Compression at cranking speed when new should be about 140PSI but someone may have a closer figure. The idea with the compression test is to locate the problem area and potentionally the problem cylinder. If all the cylinders come up equal (don't worry about the spec at this point) then you will know the water problem is in the manifold. If one cylinder is different than the others, then you will know the problem is internal.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 12:04pm
if he doesnt have access to a compression tester, pull the plugs and look for the clean one, thats where your problem will lie if you do have a problem on a cylinder
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

if he doesnt have access to a compression tester, pull the plugs and look for the clean one, thats where your problem will lie if you do have a problem on a cylinder

That would knock it down to which is the offending cylinder but not let you know if it was coming in from the manifold or if there was internal failure. IMHO, everyone should have a compresssion tester, they can be gotten relatively cheap and will keep you from buying seemingly good running engines with serious problems, and tearing apart perfectly good engines to go exploring.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic