Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Detailing PCM and other misc. questions..

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Detailing PCM and other misc. questions..
    Posted: May-29-2008 at 7:44pm
You could put it anywhere as long as number one wire is at the rotor with number one on the compression stroke, I got that part a very long long time ago. I will admit being 180 out but that was a long time ago.
You can call it anything you want and being consistant could be one of them.
Found the decals at skidim, now I can bead the valve covers and paint them. ORANGE! :)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

DUUUUHHHHH GO FIGURE REALLY

if it is timed correctly then the rotor will be lined up with the proper tower just don't state the obvious guess I have to for some.

The clarification wasnt for your sake, Chris. Whats obvious to you may not be obvious to everyone else.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

It makes no difference where the number one tower is in relation to the motor, it can be any where, pretty anal thing to me to worry about where it is at.

All that matters is that they are in the right order and it is timed correctly.

Youre correct, but dont oversimplify it and confuse the poor guy. The rotor has to be pointing to the #1 tower when the #1 cyl is at TDC. Even with the correct firing order, if youre rotated by even a single post, you wont be able to get it started and timed properly. Right Brad?

DUUUUHHHHH GO FIGURE REALLY

if it is timed correctly then the rotor will be lined up with the proper tower just don't state the obvious guess I have to for some.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 4:28pm

It makes no difference where the number one tower is in relation to the motor, it can be any where, pretty anal thing to me to worry about where it is at.

Youre correct, but dont oversimplify it and confuse the poor guy. The rotor has to be pointing to the #1 tower when the #1 cyl is at TDC. Even with the correct firing order, if youre rotated by even a single post, you wont be able to get it started and timed properly. Right Brad?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 4:15pm

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 3:37pm
I think it varies from engine to engine. On my 86, #1 tower on the dist cap was in the vicinity of the 5 o'clock position (assuming you are standing behind the engine facing forward looking down on the top of the cap).
Line up your timing mark to TDC on the comp stroke, put the rotor on and then place your dist cap over it- start with #1 wire on the tower above the shiny end of the rotor
-Brad
EDIT- PS- make sure you time it with a light after you get it started. ~8 degrees for stock.
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 1:07pm
Does anyone have a line on the decals on an 84 PCM351? I'd like to refinish the valve covers and it would be great to have new decals, one with the engine specs and the other the PCM decal on the other valve cover. Also on the risers it would sure look nice to have the raised letters in yellow and the risers black. I tried masking off with tape and the first couple of letters looked ok, just barely, but to do all on both sides would take a long time. Has anyone ever made a stencil for that?
Also, what is the proper position for the number one plug wire on the dizzy cap. Let's call 12 o clock pointing straight ahead if you were looking down on the engine. You can put it anywhere as long as the dizzy is pointing to number one on the compression stroke but is there a "right" position for the number one plug wire to be at?
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic