Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 146147148149150 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 2:08pm
The final boat speed obviously was not 25 mph, I think he is talking about the speed at which he tumbles around which looked just fine.
okyknot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okyknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 1:45pm
I agree with Mark.
I think your speed is way too slow.
The boom is keeping you up. On a long line you could never barefoot at 25 mph.
I am about 200 lbs. I barefoot at 40-41 mph.
H2O is the essence of life.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 11:48am
25 mph? Really?

How much do you weigh? I'm 180 and I think I would sink at 25. I feel like I'm sinking at 36.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 11:46am
What pointers do you need? That all looked pretty smooth tome. Keeping your knees closer when you stand will keep most of that spray out of your face.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 4:34am
OK, it was 103 degrees in the Sacramento Valley, very little wind, and that means it is footin' weather. Water temp was a balmy 78. Not a soul on our ski club lake, save a few wild turkeys.

I knocked down my first tumble-up start. Not the smoothest. I seem to have difficulty getting forward smoothly and quickly once I get on my back. Boat speed was about 25 MPH. Please offer any pointers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JyEbEUJm8

Thanks.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 2:38pm
Going around 38 I guess. If it's slower I feel like I'm sinking.

Went out again on Sun. morn, didn't get to try the handle on the end of the boom. Went for a couple of boom runs. My stomach was killing me because instead of stopping when my feet got swept, I just swung around again and planted.

I really need a day where I can foot, rest a couple hours, foot some more.

These sessions we go out for 2 hours or so and ski and foot. Not enough recovery time. I'll post the vid from that shortly. ;)
1978 Nautique

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 1:28pm
MM, what speed are you running? You might be going a little fast for the boom.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 1:24pm
Tighten the inside cable, or loosen the outside just a bit looks like they are not even. Also, if you lower the boom (if you're holding on like that) you'll be in better position.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

Let me know what I need to work on next.

Mark, looks much better! Still gotta get those hips forward though.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 10:04pm
Mark:
I watched the video again to see why you fell. Your arms got pulled forward, and you lost the "shoulder roll" that you started with (they slumped forward) As a result your butt pooched back and your upper body came over your toes and you lost your glide. Bam... you are down.

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 9:59pm
Mark Mel:

Saw the video. You are ready for the rope, no doubt. If you went out today, I hope it went well for you.

Roy.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2008 at 9:56pm
Here is what NOT to do. Notice how I stab my feet into the water, and hang on with a death grip. I have learned to let the arms out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xim4gZv_fnw

I also learned that my wife had the speed up too much during the butt glide. She had me at 28-30 whereas 20-24 is better for me until I stabilize.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 1:07am
So, here's the second time on the boom. I tried to keep all the suggestions in mind. My arms felt a lot better but my stomach muscles are killing me, lol. Oh and ingnore the intense face. One thing I learned is look down, fall down. You'll see that at the end.

Let me know what I need to work on next. I think I'm going to try the handle on Sun morning.

1978 Nautique

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 4:28pm
Thanks 75. I had a lot of fun that day. Hopefully Friday I am going out to this site off the Sacramento River. The slough is too narrow to slalom down, so it is perfect for footin as there is not traffic. It is 2 miles long!

My goals are to tumble up start and get into some smokin' one foots. I have hit the one foots on the shoe skis, but not bare feet.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 1:44pm

Good work on all accounts (techie stuff and the footin)

one final step

Roy's video
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 1:25pm
OK, here we go. Time to get the video on line. I amazed myself: bought a camera, learned to use it, took a video, got it on the computer, and now uploaded it to YouTube. I am not a high tech fellow.

This is my first tumble turns, both sides.

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18U_yCG1Ino

Roy.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 1:31am
Hey Dan...welcome. There is a couple of very cool guys on here in your area. Morfoot, skicat and BFN. Hook up and you won't be sorry. Get some pics up of your boat. I used to own a '81 but I had a bad wreck with it...got an '80 now and love it too.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 7:53pm
You can post your videos on Youtube and then post a link here. We always like to see videos.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 7:34pm
Sunday was a spectacular day to be me. Posted below is a picture of my ski club, Sheridan Oaks, at about 11 AM, which normally would have a couple inches of wind chop and 4 more boats. Here it is glassy and not a single boat out all day. The conditions held all day and my family were the only ones out.

I ripped many, many barefoot sets, the water like butter between my toes. No debris, no boats, no wait. Just foot till you drop.

I have video (51 megs per file) but don't know how to post it. Let me know how I can.

okyknot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okyknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 7:13pm
Man this forum is great. I just discovered the site. I have owned a 1981 Ski Nautique since 1985. Still have that boat. Will try to post some pics later.

I also learned to barefoot by dropping a ski behind my friend's 59 Chriscraft inboard. Those were the blood and guts days for sure.

These days I enjoy using the boom and pylon for long line. I am 54 and still doing it, although not quite like the old days.
H2O is the essence of life.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:52am
Ya know we are feelin' the same way!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 9:26am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

I don't remember the flop from long ago when I first learned but the way Eddie has me doin' them now..sitting, spinning...sure makes them easy.

Aaah... still little under a year of patient waiting...
John, Eddie... Can't wait to be on the lake with you guys!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 12:37am
Thanks tull...but I still like "grave jumps" better...BTW..always used the "ball bat" grip on my grave jumps. Guess it is just how ya learned.

Wow...John Gillette! Now there is a name I ain't heard in a while. I don't remember the flop from long ago when I first learned but the way Eddie has me doin' them now..sitting, spinning...sure makes them easy.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Many many barefooters skip the 3 point but it is the foundation for your tumble turns so you might as well learn things in the correct order.

OK, question for you guys, especially you old timers, about tumble turns. I, like many of you, taught myself many years ago, 36 to be exact. For many years I just dropped a ski and footed along till I was done. When I got settled after college in the early 80s, I got back into it.   With no one around to teach me, I bought John Gillette's book and taught myself deepwater starts, tumble turns and tumble ups, all long line. Now the question about tumble turns.

Today, people do tumble turns by sitting down and spinning around. How the book taught them and how I did it for years was to go from your feet to directly flopping down on your back.   Does anyone else recall the flop to your back as the way tumble turns were done? Seems more fitting of the name, to me.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 7:29pm
I have been footing for 31 years and I have been working on my posture more this year than ever. I've been more of a plower than glider. The three point is important as stated, to have a controlled "plant" instead of a stabbing of the feet. An added benefit is less spray while planting.
The old saying you can't teach an old dog goes out the window also. I've been footing for years with a baseball grip, because of a slalom backround. Changing to an overhand grip on deep ups helped me huge. I had a guy comment that he couldn't believe I used a baseball grip on bomb-outs (grave jumps jbear). I'm having a tough time changing my grip on those.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 6:26pm
I'll jump back in here.

I had an amazing week of barefooting. I got out 4 times (a lot for a dad of 4 and a business owner). 3 times were with 2 different crews of barefooters I met on the internet in my area. (footers are friendly and are always welcoming a novice to provide entertainment value..LOL)

These guys were hot. You name it, they can do it. Short rope, long line, backwards, forwards, slalom, jumps. They kept coming back to me on 3-point, butt glide (and posture/foot glide) as a REALLY important basic. They busted me on stabbing my feet in the water v. a controlled 3 point, then stand. Relaxing, breathing, and having fun were top on the list too. They really helped me out.

Last week I was able to do controlled wipers, 180 butt glides, hit my first 2 tumble turns including getting back up to my feet. I also made enough progress on my butt glide/TPP to absolutely nail a long line get up that went over half a mile. Before I could only do it on the hydroslide.

I have learned that driving is real important. I had my wife pull me last Friday. She did her best and as I directed her, but it was much harder than when my boys were able to match the speed to what I was doing.

Fun, fun...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Mark,

Be careful of Timmy, particularly if he tries to get you in that 4 point stance!!

HAHAHAHA. Brilliant.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 6:06pm
Mark,

Be careful of Timmy, particularly if he tries to get you in that 4 point stance!!
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 5:52pm
Hey, I'm not taking this anyway other than constructive criticism. I appreciate any help and tips I can get. ;)

I'll try to remember all of them next time I go.

I did feel a little too forward.
1978 Nautique

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

My 3 point lasts about .001 seconds before I stand up- it's basically a controlled plant- do I can't say I ever ride a 3 pointer long.

Agreed, your .001 in that position is setting up your Plant. I think Lane over emphasizes this in his video but the point is it's still a good fundamental skiing position to learn. I think most footers with a little experience typically don't spend much time in a 3 point but a beginner could benefit by learning it as it slows down the planting/standing up process.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 146147148149150 152>
  Share Topic