Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fiberglass barrier coating-Osmosis preven

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
scout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fiberglass barrier coating-Osmosis preven
    Posted: December-27-2004 at 9:25pm
      I just read INTERLUX boat paint book and they want me to seal inside of hull after i get all foam out, to create a water barrier. 1ST put on a primer then coat with a topcoat paint--also they want a barrier on outside of hull below waterline.
        Any Thoughts on this?
mark
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2004 at 12:33pm
is INTRLUX an enamel or epoxy coating ?or dose the book tell u anything about it's makeup ?,applications ect.
kenny g
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2004 at 2:11pm
Scout,

Does the boat have exterior blisters? Does it appear that water saturated the foam purely from cracks in the interior floor? Do you intend to keep the boat on a lift or trailered when not in use. Blisters and osmosis is generally the result of the boat sitting in water for extended periods of time or conversly from the boat haveing water sit in it for extended periods of time.

Once you have the floor refoamed and glassed the need for barrier coating is more dependent on "how" you intend to store the boat when not in use.
scout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2004 at 12:58am
        I do not see any blisters---the foam was wet from no cover from seller--i will leave in water for up to a month--
        I am considering puttting a channel from low points in foam ares to the open area by engine hole--i have some u-shaped plastic that covers wires on poles---or i could put in a thin sheet of plastic over the hull across the hull strakes--
               any thoughts?
mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic