NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crack at floor and stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LKG_ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LKG_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crack at floor and stringers
    Posted: June-18-2008 at 1:52pm
Hi Guys. I'm currently looking for a boat. I took a look at a 1984 Nautique 2001 yesterday and noticed a really bad separation where the floor meets the stringers. It was cracked in both places where it joins on the starboard side and one place on the port side. Other than that the boat was in decent shape.

Is this pretty common? Is it something that requires attention or can it be ignored? Are there any side effects such as stringer rot from water getting in the crack?

Here is a camera phone quality pic:

I liked the boat, but this cracking and a couple of other things have me thinking I should look for something newer.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 2:43pm
it needs repaired and the stringers need check if they are ok and not starting to rot then you can just reglass the crack to seal it otherwise you need to replace the stringers
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 2:58pm
LKG, I'd have to say that there are problems (rot) with the stringers. If you move forward with the purchase, do plan on a stringer job. Take a look at "weeding the pumpkin patch" thread in this section. It's 21 pages long but has some great pictures on the stringer project.

Keep us informed and glad you found the site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LKG_ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LKG_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 4:22pm
Thanks 8122...I'll read through that thread.

I went there with a pretty good idea of what to look for. I've worked on some inboards in the past and am pretty familiar with them although I've never owned one. All of the bolts going into the stringers seemed to be biting into good wood, but once that stuff starts rotting they can go downhill fast if you aren't ready to start cutting out the bad wood pretty quickly.

I don't have time for another project right now, so I'll probably pass on this one. Too bad. It's a nice boat other than the cracks and a little bit of fiberglass repair on the bottom. It has a nice engine, nice interior, nice tower, great stereo, etc. It isn't priced like a "project boat" though and I don't think I'd want to offer the guy half of what he is asking.
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 12:43am
Out of curiousity, what's he looking to get for it?
LKG_ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LKG_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 1:11am
He is asking $8k. I think he'll get close to it if he can wait for a less discriminating buyer. The stereo was very impressive sounding (4 speakers in the boat, 2 tower speakers, one subwoofer, three amps) and it had a nice polished aluminum wakeboard tower. The engine cranked right up, it idled well, and I think it would be a good runner even though I didn't take a test drive.

The cracks that I was asking about were scary and it had an unsanded/unpainted fiberglass patch on the bottom that didn't look too hot. It had also been re-painted at some point and the clearcoat/paint was starting to pop off in a lot of places which exposed the old paint underneath and didn't look too great. The top of the gunwale showed a lot of this paint flaking and that is a very noticeable area when you're using the boat.

You could spend $3k replacing the floor and stringers and the boat would probably be worth what you have in it, but you have to consider the value of your time. $11k will get you a premium SN2001 here in NC. It's approaching the cost of some nice mid-90's Sport Nautiques that I have seen lately and they were in excellent shape. If I had more time I'd probably make him a lowball offer, use the boat all summer, and restore it in the winter. I am bad about taking on too many projects at once though. I'm still partially considering it, but I promised myself I'd get some stuff done and out of the driveway before I buy another project.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 2:41am
Welcome Andy...to many projects....you sound like our kinda guy on here. Plus you posted pictures without us even asking. We are kinda nosy on here. Good luck...whatever you decide.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
LKG_ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LKG_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 4:28am
Thanks John. If I end up with a Correct Craft boat I'll probably be here a lot more. From the threads that I have read there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people here. Thanks for the advice so far guys.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 1:57pm
Cracks in the floor AND a poor paint job? That is a project no matter how you slice it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic