FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Ski Day of My Life

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Ski Day of My Life
    Posted: June-24-2008 at 1:23am
This past weekend, I think I had my best waterski day ever - despite the fact that I really didn’t ski a lot nor did I ski my best.

My two children, who simply love the boat, are now 3 and 5 and have been out on the water many times when I slalom ski. However, due to the necessary conditions for barefooting (no wind and no waves), and the fact I’ve only been barefooting since July of last season, they have never seen me foot from the boat. At 6:00 am, even if the kids are awake, they’re still too young to be in the mood to get in the boat without breakfast at that hour.

Well, yesterday we had the unusual circumstance were the lake was still like glass at 9:30 am and there wasn’t another boat in sight. So after cooking up a batch of Mickey Mouse shaped chocolate-chip pancakes, we all headed out for a rare late morning barefoot run. The sun was out, temps were in the low 70’s and water conditions were perfect.

The look on my kids faces when I stood up on the water and looked over from the short-line, only a few feet away on the boom, was priceless. Their faces just lit up as I completed a few tumbles and a one foot. They couldn’t stop waving to me and smiling during each pass.

When we finally had to call it quits and I was making my way towards the back of the boat, my daughter leaned over the gunnel from the observer's seat, look down at me in the water and said, “One more time Daddy.”

Like I said, best waterski day of my life.
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 1:28am
Very nice. When will they be skiing/footing?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 1:55am
awesome Keith!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 1:09pm
Hey Brian,
My daughter Evelyn(5) should be skiing by the end of the summer. She needs to get a little better at swimming first. We'll be going straight to skis off the boom with her. She's been snow skiing since she was 2 so I'm sure she'll pick up water skiing very quickly.

My son Noah(3) will probably water ski next summer. He too needs to work on his swimming, holding his breath underwater, etc. However, he'd probably go barefooting right now if I let him.

Nothing better than teaching your children and getting outdoors with them. We'll be taking them on their first camping trip this weekend. Should be a great time.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 1:21pm
That's great Keith!

Glad to hear you got some time in before the storm rolled in Sunday afternoon.

Kyle
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 1:56pm
keith,
that is awesome!!! We tried to get my 3 year old up on the moon shaped trainer. She is still getting used to falling. Scared her the first time, but daddy was in the water with her. My 4 year old nephew got up for 15 seconds but fell looking back at his dad who was in the water with him.

Question...is it really beneficial to have a boom for the kids to learn on? We never had one growing up but think it can see how it would be easier for them.

Shawn
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 2:40pm
Yes, a boom is worth it. You can also run down the shore if they are small enough.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 4:45pm
Keith, It will only keep getting better. I've taught my kids and at least a dozen other kids to ski on a pair of old Northland Speedsters. I was given mine back in 1966, but repainted them and put some HO bindings on them. They are way better than any of the kids skis you can buy today.

Vintage Wooden Northland Waterskis
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 7:34pm
Great fun Keith and like others have said, it gets even better when they start to participate and learn. I would relink my favorite video of all time that chronicles my kid's progress from first learning to becoming proficient 1-skiers or boarders, but since I already have a couple times, I won't again. The biggest rewards will be their learning, but I gotta say, their having pride in us isnt bad either. My son (15) has the "Northeast Amateurs" video on his IPod. I think thats pretty cool for a teenager.

Well you know what, In response to Shawn's comment, what the heck. I'm sure there are other new comers too that may enjoy/not have seen it.

75's kids

(Note: That's Kristi Overton making the pass and then signing the back of my daughter's shirt)
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 7:53pm
larry,
really great video. I have a almost 4 year old girl and an almost 1 year old boy......probably close to the age difference of yours.   I have a lot of fun things to look forward to !!!!!

Great job.

shawn
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 12:05pm
Great video, Larry. Glad you reposted it. I hadn't seen it. I see you like old wooden trainers, too.

My kids are 14, 17 & 20. I'm really glad to say that skiing with Dad is still one of their favorite things to do. I had to be in Portland at 8AM this morning and they were bummed I couldn't be out ther with them.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 12:33pm
Keith,
That's awesome!!! What a great story. Your time in the boat with your kids will only get better. My daughter still thinks that some of the best times she's ever had is when we were together in the boat. Learning to ski, drive or just hang out with others is a life long rewarding experience for them. . . . and you!!!
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 12:36pm
Oh yeah, one other thing. You are now officially the coolest dad of any dad in the whole world now in their eyes. Enjoy the responsibility.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 1:12pm
Keith, you're welcome to borrow my trainers. Or to check out the big lake, too. I've never seen anyone footing out there, and it's usually like glass in the morning.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic