Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what to use for oxidation??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rjjmorgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjjmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what to use for oxidation??
    Posted: June-27-2008 at 7:07pm
does an automotive rubbing compound work fine for light chalking or is there special boat stuff?? just bought this sweet old nautique and want to get it all buffed up by the 4th.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 3:42am
Jeff,
NICE Ride!!! You planning to use a power polisher? I would start 3M Perfect-it compound,I think you can do it by hand also. Then follow up with Finess-it to remove any compound haze.
Again, nice ol boat...how did you find it?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 11:02am
I'll second the 3M products. My local paint shop had a promo going for a 3 pack of their compounds, basically a heavy, medium and light set. It wasn't specific to boats. I picked up that and a Makita polisher and went to work. I was going to hire it done, but I'm really happy with the results I've been able to get myself. Seems like the general consensus is to only hit it with the harshest polish that you need to cut the oxidation. For me, the oxidation at the water line needed the heavy cut and for everything else, starting at the medium worked.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic