Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Vin. #-- 74 South Wind

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GeoBat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoBat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Vin. #-- 74 South Wind
    Posted: July-15-2008 at 12:41am
Sorry for bothering you fine folks but I bought this beast about 5 yrs. ago and although it is registered, I cant find the Hull numbers anywhere on the boat. Its a jet drive with 455 olds. Originally was a coast guard owned boat. The boats in great shape (NOW) Runs like a scalded dog and throws a wake you wouldnt believe. Only 17.5 ft. long.
oldies aint stupid
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 8:24am
If it is a 74, the HIN should be molded into the gel coat of the upper starboard corner of the transom. Has the boat be re gelled or painted? I'm asking because maybe the HIN has been coved over. How's your gas consumption?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GeoBat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoBat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 3:53pm
Thanks for the comeback. I repainted the boat myself. It had those coastguard stripes on both side at the front and they appeared to be part of the original gelcoat. Ive not re-gelcoated anything. I'll check your location again. It gets fairly good gas mileage, mainly due to the jet drive I'm sure. I'm also not a hotrodder anymore. Everynow and then I'll open it up breafly to showoff. The hole shot is really wild. You better be holding on or your gone. Thanks again. I checked the transom where you said and its not there. Maybe someone before me jelled over it. Anywhere else to look maybr?
oldies aint stupid
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2008 at 8:36am
George,

How about getting us some pictures?? We're all very interested in seeing any CC and in any condition!

Are you sure you have a Southwind? You mentioned yours is 17'6" and they were made in the 18'2" and a 19'11".

Do you feel the factory installed the 455 or are there any indications of a repower? It wasn't a listed option.

My question on the milage was actually in jest!! This must be the first jet drive you have had and not really taken a close look at how much they burn (especially with the 455!) because you said "It gets fairly good gas mileage, mainly due to the jet drive I'm sure." You will find the opposite to be true! Have you noticed the amount of slip trying to get it out of the water? With the gas cost going up in recent years, Jets would be selling over any other propulsion system! Besides buying a specialty hull, you will not find one today.

You mention old boats in your profile. I'm curious, any wood?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GeoBat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoBat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 12:26pm
Ive rebuilt 8 old boats in the past. My most memorable was a plywood Higgins with Greymarine flathead six banger. It started out with a Wisconsin Marine 4 cylinder flathead. It was a beauty when I finished with it. The only other boats I have now, other than the Southwind , are a pontoon (87 model) and a Mastercraft (83 model). I own a place on the Alabama River and use to enjoy boating a lot. I had spinal fusion 2 yrs. ago so my boating has been placed on back burner. Back to the Jet boat--the only slip you get is starting off and thats because the turbine is still getting some air bubbles. Once it locks (no bubbles) it is very efficient, unlike a prop boat. Any way, thanks for the conversation and interest. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will be glad to. My computer skills really suck. P.S. I measured the boat from tip of bow to transom and got 17.5. The motor could have been changed but it doesnt look like it to me. The boat was outfitted by Hardin Marine with the 455/ 385 hp. Jacuzzi YJ jet drive. It origanally had 3 gas tanks , one across back and one on each side . all held 25 gal each. Coast Guard likes heavy fuel loads.
oldies aint stupid
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 12:06am
I would love to see some interior pics of your Southwind! I am rebuilding my 74 southwind right now and do not have any interior pics to go buy.Thanks By the way the hull id numbers are right where the man said on my 74. It is at the very top just below the bumper strip
kevinindy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic