Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High engine idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
94 SN ProBoss EFI View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94 SN ProBoss EFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High engine idle
    Posted: January-15-2005 at 7:48am
My 94 SN, with the Pro Boss EFI motor, idles at around 950rpm. There doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the idle rpm. I thought it could be a vacuum leak, but did not find any.

The motor runs very strong. It just idles high. It starts and idles at around 1200 when cold, then drops down to 950'ish in a minute or two.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated.
Pro Boss View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Boss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2005 at 9:31am
Check TPS at the throttle body.
Guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2005 at 4:29pm
I took the TPS off and 'looked' at it. Visually it looks fine. No cracks or leaks. But not sure how to test it.
guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2005 at 9:38pm
Tough to tell, replace, doesn't work take back if possible.
Guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2005 at 2:16am
Can't return electrical items. Let me see if one of my neighbors if anyone has an TBI setup.
workky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2005 at 3:28am
The TPS has to be set at a certain volt in order for it to operate properly,you have to run a volt meter to it and adjust accordingly.It should be slotted to allow adjustment.Im not aur ewhat the spec is on your engine,but im sure it should be around .65volts with the throttle plate closed.When you open the throttle it should go up to 4.5-5 volts
Guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2005 at 3:49am
Workky,

Thanks for the information.
I found the following on the web in regards to TPS:
One is connected to a 5-volt reference voltage supply from PCM, the second is connected to PCM ground and the third is the signal return which is monitored by PCM. The voltage signal from the TP sensor varies from closed throttle (.5-1.0 volt) to wide open throttle (4.5-5.0 volts).

Going take a look at the Idle Speed Control - Bypass Air solenoid as well.

Thanks for all the help.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2005 at 12:54pm
I think I am going to have a T-shirt made with a pic of a large 4v carburetor over a ski boat and text that says: "Carbureted Forever".

Sorry, I just couldn't help it.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2005 at 10:20pm
Where do you ski in Houston? Wake board, slalom, tube, all?
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2005 at 11:58pm
I always head to the San Benard River, about 40 minutes from my house. Lake Houston is popular along with Lake Conroe, Lake Livingston, and Sommerville, but I prefer the river -it's pretty glassy (as slick and smooth) in the early morning.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic