NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop for Skiing?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop for Skiing?
    Posted: July-30-2008 at 2:13am
Should I use my 12x12 LH or 12X13 lh when I Slalom?This is behind my 1966 Skylark with the Buick V-6.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 2:15pm
Marty, The proper prop really is determined by the WOT of the boat unloaded. Does your tach work and if so, what are you getting? Some will use a lower pitch to get the power band up when wakeboading but then the engine may over rev. Do you have anything that indicates the suggested RPM red line? If I were to guess, It should be 4400 to 4500.

BTW, Please go back (edit)and use the "enter" key between your pictures. They then will stack themselves from top to bottom instead of side to side. It makes reading a thread a lot easier!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2008 at 1:16am
WOT with 3 adults and a full tank of gas it's about 3500 to 3800 RPM.I used to get about 4500 to 5000 out of her, but I guess she's getting a little weak. Although it still has good compression. My 12x13 prop doesn't give me any vibration like my OE 12x12 prop which has 1965 stamped on her. My other 12x12 is a 1974. I redid my trailer about 15 years ago. Added the drive on bunks and was wondering if I placed them ok. They're just to the outsides of the motor stringers right by the lake pick-up. I'll get some pics up cause I don't think you can see it in this pic. Who does the prop work on this site, I live in High Point,NC.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2008 at 11:31am
Marty, The bunk placement is fine.

When was the last time you did a tune up? Put the 74 12x12 (original pitch) on it and see what it cranks up to. If the compression is still good then you should still have a pretty strong engine. Check the timing (both base and the advance) and make sure the advance mechanism under the points mounting plate is free and not all rusted up. It should be turning better than the 3800 you are getting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2008 at 12:18pm
What is the 'OOPS' about?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2008 at 9:16pm
My dad's nickname when he was on the fire department was "OOPIE" not like OPIE on Andy Griffith. So we shortened it and just called it "OOPS!"
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2008 at 9:20pm
Oh the tune-up was this spring. I'm pretty good with the auto mechanic-ing so everythings fine under the hood. The carb and timing could use a little adjusting though.I still want to find out who does the prop work on this site.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2008 at 9:24pm
Oh I forgot to mention. Any ideas on what to do up on the bow for a bumpboard? I wanted to build a stop like on a OE trailer but a little stumped on mounting, that is without having to build and weld extra brackets everywhere.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2008 at 11:33pm
Pics of bow

Any thoughts about this. Even though this is a 1966 Skylark!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic