Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where to do I Buy Walters V-Drive Parts?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to do I Buy Walters V-Drive Parts?
    Posted: August-05-2008 at 10:57am
While attempting to remove the V-Drive unit, I notice a small leak around one of the access covers. Where do I go to get new gaskets?
1997 Super Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 11:15am
Dan, Walters is noted for selling rebuild kits and not individual parts. If I were you, I'd cut my own gasket if that's all you need. Their drives are also notorious big time leakers so I would use some no hardening Permatex on the gasket when putting it back together. No on the blue RTV!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 12:07pm
Wow. You guys are amazing. Sooo much knowledge. I have some Permatex High Temp Gasket Silicone Orange. Will that be ok?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 12:22pm
Dan, Since the access covers always seem to leak, my guess is they don't have enough bolts or the cover isn't ridgid enough to maintain the force needed on the gasket. This is why I recommended the Permatex. It's called their "Form-a-gasket" (non hardening for removal at a later time) and not one of their silicones. It will stick where a silicone will peel off. I'm not a big fan of silicones as they really only work when compressed tightly between two surfaces.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 12:25pm
Say no more. That is what I will get. Thank you Brainard. You certainly earned your name.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 3:56pm
transmission marine, Florida 800-462-8848 (Chris) have your madel and serial number of the unit ready, make sure you put u-joints in, sand blast the top section where the water flows, it will have a corrosion build-up and doesnt transfer heat very well
good luck
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 12:32pm
Eric, I know what a u-joint is. Where and why would add them if they are not there originally? I am not questioning your intelligence, I know there must be a good reason. I just want to undertand. Thank you all. Incredible site
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 2:07pm
in the angle housing on the Walter's will be 2 u joints, maintanace item
not in the PCM
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 2:29pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 2:44pm
Got it. That is the one cover I had not opened prior to post. You guys just happened to have a picture. INCREDIBLE
I would be a fool not to replace nthese u-joints.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 4:00pm
there special ground u-joionts so dont take the Spicer part number off the side lol.

Pete, you got me worried about this tranny stuff
tkbsurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkbsurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 5:03pm
Use Erics advise and call Chris. Period! Its not worth the few dollars saved for the agravation a Walters V parts round up can give you! Just my opinion. Been there done that!
1988 Fish Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pete, you got me worried about this tranny stuff

Eric, I'm just trying to help you out as I know you are a busy man or at least trying to be!! No need to worry as I really wouldn't touch the insides of a trans as that is certainly your area. Besides, this is a Walters thread and you have already stated you don't work on them anymore. The other thing is the poor group of people who are stuck with the POS need all the help they can get!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 7:48pm
I use to tell my boss the same exact thing lol
i still work on Walter's i just use a round about way to get the parts....maybe I'll get black listed if Donny reads this
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2008 at 8:20pm
Only those willing to pay full retail and believe there only here sales pitch are on the A list Eric!

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2008 at 10:50am
I removed the cover to expose he u-joints. No play in them at all. The bearing came out of the houseing and is secured on the shaft like the picture. Will I have to remove the bearing to re-install?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2008 at 10:59am
I gotta say this......Ive been doing this for 24 years and to this day I dont know how guys can turn a u-joint in there hand and tell if its bad or not.
A u-joint"s needles will burnell into the cross and you cannot feel it by turning them, chances are they are in good shape but, wont you wonder on that Sunday afternoon when the family shows up with the kids and that first pass something goes clunkity clunk
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2008 at 11:08am
Eric, point well taken. It seems that I will ned to remove the bearing prior to re-installing. Is this the case? Thank you

PS I hate Clunkity Clunk.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2008 at 11:15am
you have to remove the rear pump and cover and remove the flare nut and push the shaft through,
you may be able to push them out while still installed in the case, ive never tried that way because i always tear them completely down
Why did you pull the trans? i read through and did not see the reason why you pulled it
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2008 at 11:46am
I am referring to the bearing that is right at the output seal area. Once I receive the new u-joints I will need to re-install the u-joint housing. I feel that I will need to remove that housing bearing off of the output receiver and will re-install the bearing after the housing is bolted back on. Right or wrong?
I removed the trans due to a leak in the oil cooler. Pink trans fluid.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2008 at 12:49pm
the input bearing of the v-drive??
it stays on the yoke and you feed it through the housing. it is a loose fit and if cocked wont go in
is this what bearing you are refering to?
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 12:14pm
Yes Eric and thank you soooo much. Huge help. I just got off the phone with Transmission marine about the Walters parts.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 1:19pm
I'll be calling them shortly also, Chris is on vacation
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I'll be calling them shortly also, Chris is on vacation

Eric, What are you getting? Some of those OEM Walters parts? Bearings and U joints that are made to such such high ground to spec standards that they are only available from Walters??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 2:58pm
I dealt with Tony. Good guy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 3:03pm
a Borg v-drive in which the customer used reverse as forward and in all my years i have not seen oil crystalize and turn into sort of a hard foam in the bottem of the case, it got hot i would imagine in the 800 or 900 degree range. the foam or oil looked like a plastic, it would definitely be worthing taking pictures for show and tell
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic