Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Spray

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
zackmx222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zackmx222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Spray
    Posted: September-07-2008 at 8:20pm
I have a 89 2001. I am teaching my kids how to barefoot off the boom. My son tho is kinda small and is gettig a ton of spray. Has anyone tried to attach anything to the hull to reduce the side spray. Or does anyone have any thoughts on how I could reduce side spray. I thought of trying to glue a piece of trim for testing and try to use some adhesive that wouldn't ruin the gelcoat. If anyone has any ideas I would like to hear them.

Thanks in advance.
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2008 at 8:39pm
How many people in the boat when your teaching your kids? If I am correct try and move people to otherside of the boat to get the ballast right. They do make an extension add on from Barefoot International that can extend the boom another 18 inches i think and your kids can be farther out of the spray. Just my 2 cents.
Others chime in for other advice.

-Phil
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 12:51pm
ditto. 2001 = 18" extension
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 12:52pm
BI actually makes 2 extensions- one that goes between the 2 sections, and a handle piece that installs on the end. Both would help get the kids out of the fire hose spray that comes off the 2001.

Like Phil mentioned, also move as much weight as possible to the side opposite the boom. Shortening the boom cables to bring the end of the boom forward will help as well.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 2:42pm
Handle-end is not recommended, if you want to use a 5' handle on it. Best get the middle - segment.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Johnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2008 at 6:49pm
We have used the middle extension piece for a BI boom that Tim mentioned on an 88 2001 SN and that took care of the spray problem for us. That was for adult barefooting speeds though. The extension may not work at the slower speeds your lighter weight son would barefoot at. Just last weekend we had the boom out and I wanted to try some flip turns on the slalom, but at that slower speed the spray was getting me right at the ankles even with the extension. So I guess the only thing you can do there is go faster...nothing wrong with that of course! Who knows, maybe your son will whip out a one-footer on his first run!

(Also, defintely have everyone on the opposite side of the boat too as previously suggested)
zackmx222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zackmx222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 1:14pm
I bought two pieces of hardware that took care of the problem even at lower speeds. First piece was the Middle Extension that is offered by barefoot international the second piece I got off ebay. Which is pictured below. This actually put it far enought forward that with the extension I did not need to do any cable adjustments.

The picture below is not my boat it is from ebay. On my boat it does touch the cover when mounted low. This I am going to watch to make sure I do not ruin my vinyl.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic