Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Applying New Decals

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
edb82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edb82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Applying New Decals
    Posted: December-10-2008 at 2:27am
Just bought new 06-07 decals for my 90 SN, I think the colors are going to look better than the originals.

Who has the best technique for applying an eight foot + decal without messing it up and will actually stay on for years to come.

I will use the techniques and fully document with pictures in this thread    

Thanks CCF Eric
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 7:54am
Eric,
Is it a Scotchcal or equal decal? IE, does it have a translucent locating film on the face? If so, you locate where you want it by holding it in place with masking tape. Then peel the back film off exposing the adhesive backing in sections. Squeege and then remove the top locating film.

Here's a good pictorial on the process: decal instructions

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 7:07pm
Use a prep wash to remove any wax. The taping and center peel method is the best for large decals and make sure your squeegee is as wide or wider than the decal. And don't apply to a hot surface.
Tim D
bradtm16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradtm16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2008 at 12:51pm
It is pretty tricky applying a large decal. After repainting my boat I helped put on the 06 tribal Air Nautique sticker. The only thing I wish I would have done different is put it higher than what I did. I pretty much centered it. It looks fine on the trailer but when in the water it is a little low.

Anyways, to install it, like they said wash good to remove wax. Then we started on one end a slowly applied and used plastic spreaders like ones used for spreading bondo to work all air bubbles out. In some places we had to use a heat gun to stretch it a little. Just take your time, I know how expensive those decals are.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2008 at 6:09pm
When I replaced my decals I cleaned the surface real good with prep solvent, Then I taped the top part of the decal to the boat with masking tape to make a sort of hinge. I sprayed the surface with water first then applied the decal and used a squeegee to get out all the air bubbles, which come out pretty easy when it is wet. I let the whole thing dry before removing the backing.

I also found that applying big decals is a lot harder than applying small ones. the first "Sport Nautique" decal I did I left in one piece, and I kinda of screwed up a little bit by getting the paper on the decal wet, this caused some of the paper to get caught between the decal and the gel coat. No one else seems to notice it but me, but I plan on re-doing it this winter just because it bothers me. On the second side I decided to cut the decal in half between the "Sport" and "Nautique" this made it a lot easier to work with and it came out perfect.
edb82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edb82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2008 at 2:58am
Thanks for the knowledge and experience Pete, Tim, Randy and Brad. I will begin this weekend by removing the old with a heat gun, careful not to get the gel to hot. Afterwards I plan on a bit of wetsanding.

The plan of progression is 800 grit, 1000, 1500, compund, polish, acetone, decals, wax. Thanks Eric
edb82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edb82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 2:00am

Before removal
edb82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edb82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 2:02am

Another old sticker
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 3:22am
I would skip the 1500 and use both an abrasive rubbing compound (3M Super Duty) on a heavy wool pad on a high speed buffer followed with a heat activated compound on a yellow foam pad and then a finishing material like 3m Finesse II. finish up with a good wax w/UV protection (Meguires Flagship Marine wax) and it should look real nice.

From the looks of the pics, I bet you could get it looking really good with just the 3M Super Duty on the heavy wool pad on a high speed buffer followed by the above. That Super Duty is pretty aggressive yet it breaks down and brings out the shine as you work with it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic