NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fly High Mast Installation

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 3:59am
Could be right, the poor things probably shivering.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 5:31pm
I just bought a used BI Fly High.9no instructions) Does the strap go through the bow eye and end doubled up to the carabina? Does the base just slide over the factory pylon without any fastening? Lastly does the pole end up 90 degrees to the boat floor?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 5:37pm
Yes, slide it through the bow eye and then both ends to the clip. Slides over, no fastening. It should fit nice and snug too. Your 98 has a factory bent pylon, and you probably never noticed. Once the Fly High is up you'll be able to tell it leans back a little, not a problem.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

I am going to try a lift ring connection but I am going to take a close up of the fiberglass around the lift ring with my cell phone camera so I can monitor it for new cracking. if anything changes I will switch back to the ugly strap.

Why wait until after the gelcoat cracks? If that's the case just keep using it like that, the gelcoat isn't providing you the strength anyway. Going w/o the stap is a roll of the dice. I hated it too but now use it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I have since bought the correct strap.

Forget it at home?

Be PROACTIVE, not reactive, get the strap y'alls.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 7:40pm
Kevin - How observant you are! We stopped using the strap because it was a big hassle rigging it on the ramp, due to interference with the bow stop. I remember a post from someone who said they pulled hard & never got cracks. We aren't hard pullers, so I am going to chance the gelcoat cracks. I looked under the deck & there is a good-sized wood block reinforcement under the ring.

So yes this isn't correct, but that's my decision.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 9:37pm
SNobsessed, I am with you, My gel is sun cooked anyway. I just removed my strap and it is far more attractive and convienent. Personal choice.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 12:10am
If for a second I thought it was unsafe, I wouldn't rig it that way.

But for the record, HW is right & the site recommendation is to use the strap.

Liability issue now covered.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 2:24am
Ive had mine on the ring for 3 years now and we abuse the crap out of it. Barefooting, 7 kneeboarders, kneeboard 360's around the boat. The lifting rings are pretty stout pieces. Just makesure the preload adjustment before the strap is not to tight. Id say to tight of a preload would hurt it more. Mine has about a 1/4 inch extra room to get the clip around the ring.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 7:19pm
some (alot of) boats do not have the lift ring...thus the strap...one size fits all...William Farrell uses the lift ring for both his boom and his flyhigh...its on a malibu barefooter...and now he has the BI tower and tower extension which he hooks to the lift ring...no gel cracks yet. It's an easy and clean setup...
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic