NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fly High Mast Installation

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fly High Mast Installation
    Posted: December-28-2008 at 9:15pm
I bought a used stainless steel Fly High Mast for my 1987 skinautique for my 6"1" 16 year old to wakeboard with. I find the front attachment webbing that goes around the bow to be very ugly. I would love to just attach it to the front lifting ring. I assume there is a reason they did not make this an option in the first place. Does any one know if the little bit of triangulation gained by the bow strap is significant? I have till spring(thats about June in Minnesota) to ponder this modification. I will not do it unless someone can convinvce me it will do no harm.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 12:47am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

I have till spring(thats about June in Minnesota)

When is Fall....August?

Can't help on your real question..sorry.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 4:28am
Fall seems to starts around september 1. I am not a cold water guy.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 11:50am
OMH - Attaching the mast tension cable to the lifting ring will result in gel coat cracks.

The lifting ring is designed for a verticle load only.

BTW - My avatar is outdated, as it shows the cable attached to the lift ring. That photo is from when we 1st got our boat. I have since bought the correct strap.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

OMH - Attaching the mast tension cable to the lifting ring will result in gel coat cracks.

The lifting ring is designed for a verticle load only.

BTW - My avatar is outdated, as it shows the cable attached to the lift ring. That photo is from when we 1st got our boat. I have since bought the correct strap.

Did it have cracked Gel-Coat? Just wondering.
I've attached my boom cable to my lifting ring now for 12 years. Had some big fellows on it and haven't seen any cracks. Although I will say that it has turned the ring towards the direction if the cable.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 5:57pm
The lift ring comes out of the deck, are you talking about the bow eye?

We've used the lift ring for our Skylon for a couple years and do not have any cracks. We have pulled multiple barefooters off of it. Thanks to skicat we now have the proper strap to go around the bow. I need to figure out how to keep it from disfiguring the rubber/rope rub rail though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 9:24pm
No cracks in my gelcoat, was worth the $50 for the strap to avoid those.

Ben Franklin
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The lift ring comes out of the deck, are you talking about the bow eye?

Yes the lift ring on the deck.
Now on my 86BFN po had always hooked to the bow eye so I will continue to do so.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 5:11pm
Not one ski boat on our lake uses the lift ring... Must be a reason for that... Before I had my tower, I also used the strap through the bow eye.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 7:35pm
SNobsessedand/or Hollywood,

I am in need of the correct strap to go around the bow eye for my ski pylon. Where did you get one? Skicat? How do I get in touch? Thanks.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 8:06pm
847-363-WAKE

What happened to Lane Bowers' link?
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 8:53pm
Maybe he forgot to pay the bill! LOL
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 10:59pm
Thanks for the input, sounds like there is not a concern about icreased side pull on the tow mast with the single point attachment but some concern about the lifting ring attachment with a pull other than straight up. I have not looked underneath could the ring be beefed up for a rear load?
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 11:13pm
85JWS - I called Barefoot International (got the phone # from a web search) & got the strap from them.

They gave me a good discount.

Good luck.

OMH - I considered bracing the lift eye too, but it was easier to just to buy the tested system & know it will always work.

Ben Franklin
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 11:26pm
Mike Seipel's Barefoot International Rocks!
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 11:58pm
I have an 1983. I have been pulling off of the bow lift ring for 8+ years. I dont have any gel coat cracks.
83Ski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 2:16am
SNobbsessed, I Know, I just love the looks of the boat and the bow strap looks like a tacked on cheap fix.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 12:19pm
I agree it is ugly! My son wants me to get a tower because of that.

Ben Franklin
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

SNobbsessed, I Know, I just love the looks of the boat and the bow strap looks like a tacked on cheap fix.

I disagree. The strap isn't the tacked on cheap fix. The extended pylon itself is the tacked on cheap fix. The strap is just a part of that cheap fix.
Realize that you're doing youself a favor by not permanently destroying the lines and pure looks of a true classic ski boat. I purposely resisted getting an extended pylon for years just because I personally thought (and still think) that they're ugly as sin. At some point you just can't deny the advantages of having one if you're even remotely serious about advancing your skills. I feel the same way about booms, but there is no way that I could be doing what I do right now without one. Don't even get me started on the teaching and learning aspects that a boom can provide, but the fact is, they're still ugly. I can live with ugly if it's temporary and I can easily remove it without permanent damage. That's just me. If you don't want ugly, don't use it. And I mean that in a most respectful manner. When you do use it, understand the advantages of the ugly cheap fix and what you're preserving by using it.

Can you tell that I'm not a big fan of towers on a classic ski boat!!!!
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 4:47pm
Backfoot, keep the pressure on me. I'm on the fence (as far as a tower) & think I should come back from the dark side. Beside, the $ could go into the gas tank next summer.

The argument (to get a tower) was that it took time to put up the pylon on the launch ramp because the strap could not be setup until the boat was slid back a few inches from the bow stop. Maybe I could change the bow stop so that it has clearance for the strap. Another winter project!!

I think the 2001's have enough class to lose some beauty points for the strap.

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 5:05pm
I agree with Eddie- sort of. I prefer the timeless lines of our classic ski boats, and I dont particularly care for towers. As far as booms and pylons go, though, I think the utilitarian factor is pretty cool. Theres something to be said for rigging up a ski boat to do what it does best- pull.

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 8:19pm
I definitely agree with you Tim. Maybe I just stated it wrong. The advantages of using a boom and extended pylon are simply mindblowing. They definitely give you the best pull possible. From a training/learning perpective, I'll never be without either one again and I rarely go out anymore without one or both hooked up.

I personally think there is nothing better than seeing somebody ski them the way they were designed. No wires or poles hanging every which direction. No sacs weighing them down. Even bimini's look out of place to me. Admittedly, I couldn't do without any of them on my boat. However, I can remove them all in a few minutes and have my classic boat back and no one is the wiser. That's cool.

Chris, you stated that you have problems attaching the strap at the launch clearing the bow stops. I routinely attach or breakdown my pylon and boom out on the water. I just step over the windshield and can get everything attached without a problem by laying on the deck and reaching around the bow. Not sure if you've tried that or not or even if it's an option but maybe something you could try.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 8:31pm
Thanks Backfoot & Tim & Sorry OMH if I thread jacked your question.

We usually get to the lake just before the rush & we want to get a set in before the tubers & PWC's attack. Hence the emphasis on launch efficiency.

Happy New Year everyone! Hope your resolution includes watersports.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 9:29pm
I am not feeling Thread jacked at all, I love the opinions and shared knowlege. It all applies. I am not the purest member of this site when it comes to keeping them original. But I do appreciate their natural beauty.Our boat was purchased for wakeboarding so the pylon will almost always be on. The bow strap obstructs my view I am just hoping to find a less obnoxiuos way to attach the thing.I am still thinking. When I look back and see the kid in the air behind the boat it is all good.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2009 at 1:26pm
Leave the strap on there hooked up to the lift ring. Without the pylon cable pulling on it there should be enough slack to fit behind (or in between) the crash pads. Once on the water all you gotta do is clip to it.
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 5:33pm
Thanks for the info on where to get the strap. I am in the same position, boat came with pylon attached to ring. Do hate the look of the strap.

At first I thought a tower would be awesome but then when we got the boat, i think it looks like hell.

Guess i'll we'll have to just order the strap.
Watercraftsales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercraftsales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 7:10pm
We sell both the B.I. extended pylon and Bemmans style. The latter only attached to the lifting ring. Been using them for 20 years, and have had no cracks or issues with the lifting ring whatsoever.

However if yours cracks, don't blame me!

Regards,

Ryan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 1:06am
Ok Here are the facts as I see them.
1. Some Masts come from the factory with connections to the lift ring only. .
2. My boat was baked in the Arizona sun and has some surface cracks and needs to be refinished anyway.
3. The bow eye strap is ugly.
4. My mind is somewhat made up and I dont want to be confused by the facts.
Sooo. I am going to try a lift ring connection but I am going to take a close up of the fiberglass around the lift ring with my cell phone camera so I can monitor it for new cracking. if anything changes I will switch back to the ugly strap.I will let you know what I find. Thanks all. Dave.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 1:08am
I am pondering this after unfreezing waterpipes in my kitchen thanks to -20degrees last night. Hows that for an optimist!
1987 Ski Nautique

dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 2:38am
I think the cracks in your dash are from taking a boat from warm temps in Arizona to the -20 Minnesota nights. LOL!!
83Ski
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic